Predictions on a vintage 2006 Mosaic year?

Just a quick checkup at Mosaic: The Hutcherson (if it will be released) has all the straight ahead Jazz sessions from the 70's. The Gibbs was a slip of the tongue by Scott and won't happen.

I contacted Mosaic a couple years ago suggesting a cross-label Hutcherson/Land set, with the Hutcherson Blue Notes and the Land Cadet and Mainstream albums. They told me at the time they were actually working on the licensing for just such a set, but I've never heard any more on it.

Since then the major labels have become much more proprietry. From now on you can only look for packages from one source. If this wasn't true, the Oliver Nelson UA material would be on the Nelson set.

Onward to another Mosaic possibility: Now that Sony and BMG are "connected" MC should have little problem doing a Braxton/Arista set if he really wants to do it.

I'd have that Braxton in a shot. I remember asking about whether I should buy the vinyl here. The answer was yes, since there was no telling when this would be on CD...on my return to the store, of course, it was all gone :(

One Select I'ld love to see come alive would be the Monday Night at Birdland sessions that was released by Roulette. The Monday Night with Lee Morgan, Curtis Fuller, Hank Mobley, Billy Root, Ray Bryant, etc...

This produced two albums. Pretty sure there is additional material available from that Monday Night.

In the words of whoever ('Symphony Sid' Torin?) wrote at the end of the liner notes for the second volume:

'This is the second in a series - it calls for still ''another Monday night at Birdland''...'

Still true!

was this the stuff that came out on Fresh Sound years back?

One Select I'ld love to see come alive would be the Monday Night at Birdland sessions that was released by Roulette. The Monday Night with Lee Morgan, Curtis Fuller, Hank Mobley, Billy Root, Ray Bryant, etc...

This produced two albums. Pretty sure there is additional material available from that Monday Night.

In the words of whoever ('Symphony Sid' Torin?) wrote at the end of the liner notes for the second volume:

'This is the second in a series - it calls for still ''another Monday night at Birdland''...'

Still true!

so each will have 1 disc... or did they record together???

I guess this would be a part of it ?

Four brass, one tenor: Al Cohn:

Joe Newman, Thad Jones, Joe Wilder (tp) Nick Travis (tp,v-tb) Al Cohn (ts)

Dick Katz (p) Freddie Green (g) Buddy Jones (b) Osie Johnson (d)

New York, May 1955

F2JB3730 Every time RCA Victor LPM1161, RCA (F)PM45164

F2JB3731 Just plain Sam - -

F2JB3732 Rosetta - -

F2JB3733 Alone together - -

There are two labels (among many) that could still be mined for very interesting, and necessary selects. Those are ABC ... with Brookmeyer, Raney, Farmer, Sunkel, etc. and Metrojazz with Gigi Gryce, and others. These selects might be more along the lines of the recent piano one with Fischer, Rowles, Twardzik et.al.

I would also be obvious in ponting out that there are many Buddy DeFranco albums on MGM, Verve and Polygram that I, for one, would love to see on CD.

Also, isn't it about time that the Emarcy Mulligan sextet material (including all of the takes, each of which had their own charm), and once available on three Japanese LPs were reissued, probably on a double-CD album.

I suggest the recent Select price increases and "expense reductions" suggest more "common" titles in the future. Sales do keep these guys alive, not "plaudits". The Mulligan Mercurys might fly.

I think Chuck's right. I'm going to bite on the new Mulligan Select, because there are a few things on it that I don't already have... but much of that material has been available within the past 5-10 years. No complaining here, but I'd imagine that Mosaic has to watch their bottom line more than ever these days--esp. with all of the bootleg/ripoff outfits in the marketplace.

I suppose that I'm less keen on Selects for these sort of reasons - the high proportion of content already on CD and often recently or still available. So first-timers are suited, and completists/collectors will go for the few (if any) extra tracks they don't have, but a musical pragmatist like me (with a lot of interests to fund!) finds it hard to pay so much for a few extra tracks. I'm glad this series is a success for the company though, and I can quite see that the big box set market is a tough one - except for the keenest purchasers I wonder how many big boxes most folks actually buy? If you also like classical, the economy classical boxes are bit of a lure these days and also tend to take your mind off the premium product. I think I bought 6 jazz box sets in 2005 and I still haven't got through them all. Most years I don't think I buy so many.