Mosaic Select: Pacific Jazz Piano Trios

I had that reissue but thought it sounded awful, like a needle drop ...

Just listened to it for the first time in ages and you're right, it doesn't sound very good. Also listened to the same tracks on the Mosaic Select and those don't sound much better, so I'm guessing the recording is to blame or the source isn't in a very good state.

Edited by J.A.W.

I'm no audiophile, but I think the Rowles on Fresh Sound set sounds about the same as the Pacific. There's no detailed info about their remasterings, but the Nocturne box was done in collaboration with Babasin/Harte. There's no info if there are still any masters around, there's just one name for digital transfers/masterings given in the booklet.

I'm no audiophile, but I think the Rowles on Fresh Sound set sounds about the same as the Pacific. There's no detailed info about their remasterings, but the Nocturne box was done in collaboration with Babasin/Harte. There's no info if there are still any masters around, there's just one name for digital transfers/masterings given in the booklet.

For the record: I was comparing the 1993 Japanese CD reissue of the Rowles album and the same tracks on the Mosaic Select.

For the record: I was comparing the 1993 Japanese CD reissue of the Rowles album and the same tracks on the Mosaic Select.

I know, and I was adding a(n admittedly unqualified) comparison of the Mosaic Select and the Nocturne box.

I know, and I was adding a(n admittedly unqualified) comparison of the Mosaic Select and the Nocturne box.

The original Liberty vinyl (heavy vinyl as a matter of fact) has excellent sound, engineered by John Neal, produced by Harry Babasin.

The original Liberty vinyl (heavy vinyl as a matter of fact) has excellent sound, engineered by John Neal, produced by Harry Babasin.

And what do your ears say about the Select vs. the Nocturne version?

And what do your ears say about the Select vs. the Nocturne version?

I don't have the Select.

Sound on the original Liberty vinyl is excellent, sound on the Nocturne box is not as sharp. But I would not be without that Nocturne box (with the added material)!

This is one of my favorite Mosaic Selects. I'm partial to the Clare Fischer trios, really excellent stuff.

I agree. Like 'em so much that I went and bought both JPN Toshiba vinyl editions as well ('Surging Ahead' PJ-0067 in fabulous Mono) from MC's wife on eBay. Great sounding,they are!

So she was selling his vinyl behind his back or what? :g

This is one of my favorite Mosaic Selects. I'm partial to the Clare Fischer trios, really excellent stuff.

I agree. Like 'em so much that I went and bought both JPN Toshiba vinyl editions as well ('Surging Ahead' PJ-0067 in fabulous Mono) from MC's wife on eBay. Great sounding,they are!

So she was selling his vinyl behind his back or what? :g

I guess they needed a new Espresso machine? ....that's $11k ya know!! :D

http://www.singleserveespresso.com/archives/2008/02/starbucks_testing_the_clover.php