Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Well, this isn't about competition, really... the Rowles album is a bit of an outsider in both boxes, and the rest has no overlap.

But still, it's worth pointing out what a fine set that Nocturne one is!

Posted (edited)

I have the 1993 Japanese CD reissue of Jimmy Rowles' Liberty album Rare - But Well Done (TOCJ-5442). It's a straight reissue of the original album and the two extra tracks are missing.

Edited by J.A.W.
Posted (edited)

I had that reissue but thought it sounded awful, like a needle drop ...

Just listened to it for the first time in ages and you're right, it doesn't sound very good. Also listened to the same tracks on the Mosaic Select and those don't sound much better, so I'm guessing the recording is to blame or the source isn't in a very good state.

Edited by J.A.W.
Posted

I'm no audiophile, but I think the Rowles on Fresh Sound set sounds about the same as the Pacific. There's no detailed info about their remasterings, but the Nocturne box was done in collaboration with Babasin/Harte. There's no info if there are still any masters around, there's just one name for digital transfers/masterings given in the booklet.

Posted

I'm no audiophile, but I think the Rowles on Fresh Sound set sounds about the same as the Pacific. There's no detailed info about their remasterings, but the Nocturne box was done in collaboration with Babasin/Harte. There's no info if there are still any masters around, there's just one name for digital transfers/masterings given in the booklet.

For the record: I was comparing the 1993 Japanese CD reissue of the Rowles album and the same tracks on the Mosaic Select.

Posted

I'm no audiophile, but I think the Rowles on Fresh Sound set sounds about the same as the Pacific. There's no detailed info about their remasterings, but the Nocturne box was done in collaboration with Babasin/Harte. There's no info if there are still any masters around, there's just one name for digital transfers/masterings given in the booklet.

For the record: I was comparing the 1993 Japanese CD reissue of the Rowles album and the same tracks on the Mosaic Select.

I know, and I was adding a(n admittedly unqualified) comparison of the Mosaic Select and the Nocturne box.

Posted

I'm no audiophile, but I think the Rowles on Fresh Sound set sounds about the same as the Pacific. There's no detailed info about their remasterings, but the Nocturne box was done in collaboration with Babasin/Harte. There's no info if there are still any masters around, there's just one name for digital transfers/masterings given in the booklet.

For the record: I was comparing the 1993 Japanese CD reissue of the Rowles album and the same tracks on the Mosaic Select.

I know, and I was adding a(n admittedly unqualified) comparison of the Mosaic Select and the Nocturne box.

The original Liberty vinyl (heavy vinyl as a matter of fact) has excellent sound, engineered by John Neal, produced by Harry Babasin.

Posted

I'm no audiophile, but I think the Rowles on Fresh Sound set sounds about the same as the Pacific. There's no detailed info about their remasterings, but the Nocturne box was done in collaboration with Babasin/Harte. There's no info if there are still any masters around, there's just one name for digital transfers/masterings given in the booklet.

For the record: I was comparing the 1993 Japanese CD reissue of the Rowles album and the same tracks on the Mosaic Select.

I know, and I was adding a(n admittedly unqualified) comparison of the Mosaic Select and the Nocturne box.

The original Liberty vinyl (heavy vinyl as a matter of fact) has excellent sound, engineered by John Neal, produced by Harry Babasin.

And what do your ears say about the Select vs. the Nocturne version?

Posted

And what do your ears say about the Select vs. the Nocturne version?

I don't have the Select.

Sound on the original Liberty vinyl is excellent, sound on the Nocturne box is not as sharp. But I would not be without that Nocturne box (with the added material)!

Posted

This is one of my favorite Mosaic Selects. I'm partial to the Clare Fischer trios, really excellent stuff.

I agree. Like 'em so much that I went and bought both JPN Toshiba vinyl editions as well ('Surging Ahead' PJ-0067 in fabulous Mono) from MC's wife on eBay. Great sounding,they are!

Posted

This is one of my favorite Mosaic Selects. I'm partial to the Clare Fischer trios, really excellent stuff.

I agree. Like 'em so much that I went and bought both JPN Toshiba vinyl editions as well ('Surging Ahead' PJ-0067 in fabulous Mono) from MC's wife on eBay. Great sounding,they are!

So she was selling his vinyl behind his back or what? :g

Posted

This is one of my favorite Mosaic Selects. I'm partial to the Clare Fischer trios, really excellent stuff.

I agree. Like 'em so much that I went and bought both JPN Toshiba vinyl editions as well ('Surging Ahead' PJ-0067 in fabulous Mono) from MC's wife on eBay. Great sounding,they are!

So she was selling his vinyl behind his back or what? :g

I guess they needed a new Espresso machine? ....that's $11k ya know!! :D

http://www.singleserveespresso.com/archives/2008/02/starbucks_testing_the_clover.php

  • 16 years later...
Posted
14 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

I was lucky to find a used copy in excellent condition a few years ago. Great music, and rather overlooked.

Rowles does some great work on these tunes. Works with those melodies nicely. 

Posted

This is the most Rowles I have on a single disc in my collection. The other albums I have with him on there are The Artistry of Pepper, Benny Carter's Jazz Giant, and the tracks that he plays on in the Mosaic Dial and Gerald Wilson sets. So, not that much. 

Posted
1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

To me Rowles is one of the greatest jazz pianists ever!

I agree.  He's marvelous.

 

13 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

So, not that much. 

A few of my favorite Rowles records:
- Heavy Love (Xanadu, 1977) with Al Cohn
- We Could Make Such Beautiful Music Together (Xanadu, 1978)
- Plays Ellington & Strayhorn (Columbia, 1981)

 

Posted
4 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I agree.  He's marvelous.

 

A few of my favorite Rowles records:
- Heavy Love (Xanadu, 1977) with Al Cohn
- We Could Make Such Beautiful Music Together (Xanadu, 1978)
- Plays Ellington & Strayhorn (Columbia, 1981)

 

Thanks for the recs 👍

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...