What's your local/regional jazz/NPR station?

ghost of miles

Hey all,

I'm truly hoping to ramp up Night Lights for syndication this year (right now it's on one other station besides our own) and am trying to get a list together of stations that might be open to carrying it. If you care to, can you list your local/regional station that plays jazz? In most areas we'll try the NPR station first, as we're a member station ourselves, but I realize that many NPR stations carry little or no jazz these days--they've either gone all-talk or triple A. If you think there's a station around your parts that might be interested, NPR or not, could you either post it or drop me a PM? Many thanks!

David

There are 3 NPR stations that claim to cover Santa Barbara. They're all really located elsewhere and none of them get great reception here.

1)KCRW Santa Monica. Creates most of its own music shows. Famous for "hand-picked music".

2) KCLU Thousand Oakas and Santa Barbara. Used to be jazz and NPR. Now is mainly talk with jazz most evenings. Lame djs. Could use your show.

3)KCBX San Louis Obispo and Santa Barbara. Good jazz shows in the morning and weekends. They do carry Marian McPartland so take some syndicated shows.

WGVU FM in Grand Rapids, Michigan. They're on line. You'll want to contact Scott Vanderwerf. They program jazz most week nights after 7 p.m. and all weekend.

Blue Lake may be interested in putting it on Sunday night at 7. I can talk to our P.D. Is there a cost involved?

In Ypsilanti there's WEMU FM. Linda Yahn (I think that's how it is spelled) is the contact.

And in Mount Pleasent there's WCMU which is distributed around most of norther lower Michigan and part of the uppper penninsula. They feature jazz every night.

Edited by Lazaro Vega

If you could get Night Lights syndicated, I would count it as a significant victory for the art.

You know the NYC regionals, both hard to penetrate.

WAER Syracuse NY. Jazz theme station. It's just possible that Eric Cohen would be open to such a thing. There is an increasingly adventurous spirit in Syracuse. Though WAER is sometimes known for conservative fare. Contacts at: http://www.waer.org/contact.html

WSQG Binghamton NY, w/relay to Corning. Small jazz theme station. Very conservative, bland. Small fish, but needs a wake up, gentle, like a velvet brick through the window.

WAMC Albany NY, relayed around the state. They have some jazz programming. They have a dozen or so relays around the state and reach a big audience.

Obviously, it'd be great to get you on the flagship stations with statewide relays. WRTI in Philadelphia covers a very large listening area.

WPFW in Washington DC might find your show very appealing. I think Willard Jenkins is still there.

WDET in Detroit packs a punch.

It wouldn't hurt to talk to Linda Yohn at WEMU.

I assume you are a subscriber to JazzWeek?

Tony Gasparre and Ed Trefzger should be able to help you spead the word and you could place a ad ( maybe they would post a article about your show ).

If you talk to them (wonderful people!), they could at least point you to the right stations that would be open.

I assume you are a subscriber to JazzWeek?

Tony Gasparre and Ed Trefzger should be able to help you spead the word and you could place a ad ( maybe they would post a article about your show ).

If you talk to them (wonderful people!), they could at least point you to the right stations that would be open.

:tup

Then there are two college stations: KNTU 88.1, which mainly plays jazz, and KTCU 88.7, which has an afternoon jazz show.

I went to North Texas State University (NTSU) during the time when it was becoming The University of North Texas (UNT). My wife worked for the radio station and while everything on campus was being renamed from "whateverNTSU" to "whateverUNT", the radiostation had a VERY brief discussion about whether to follow suit with KNTU...think about it.... Needless to stay, they kept the old name.

Here in Seattle, our best jazz NPR station (which my wife happens to work at) is KPLU. Pretty, good honest jazz station. Mix of classic bop and current local releases. They have a blues show at certain times and news, but I'd say 60-70% is jazz.

Edited by TroyK

• 6 months later...