FINALLY getting into Jeru!

Big Al

I recently picked up Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges (which is uniformly excellent; better than anything on the Hodges Mosaic (which I love, BTW!), IMHO!); this led me to get GM Meets Ben Webster, and I think I can say I've finally seen the light. So much so I'm gonna start saving up for the Concert Jazz Band Mosaic.

Funny thing is, it's not that I've never liked Mulligan. I've heard some of his tunes on KNTU and been blown away by 'em, but not enough to actually seek out the album or CD.

Anyway, the bug's bit me, and off I go, deeper into debt.

Big Al — congrats! A great bug to be bitten by. I think you'll end up digging the CJB Mosaic when it finally comes out, though his big band work is somewhat different than his small group work. In some ways, I think it's more exciting, and Bob Brookmeyer also steps in as an essential voice. The CJB's first eponymous album is pure delight, from track to track (*). I try not to think about the time it will take until September!

If you don't already have Mulligan's 2-disc West Coast Classics quartet sessions with Chet Baker, print out that 20% off Borders coupon (on this board), and get thee to your nearest Borders! These recordings, in my opinion, are where Mulligan first shows his "genius." (Quotes used because this term gets thrown around too much.) Then, maybe, you'll want to check out his two recordings with Paul Desmond (one on Verve; one on RCA — both in-print, and I'd personally give the nod to the Verve first). If you're still hungry for more, search out his sextet recordings on EmArcy. All of them are excellent.

Michael Cuscuna has made mention that Mulligan's California Concerts on Pacific Jazz are going to be remastered for the U.S. market, and may be available as early as Spring 2004. Additionally, a Mulligan Mosaic Select is in the works, and it should be excellent. It will contain:

• A 1957 quartet recording with Baker

• A quintet session with Annie Ross

• An octet session with five saxophones, Freddie Green, Henry Grimes, and Dave Bailey

• The complete "Stringtime" recordings — Mulligan with guitar, violin, cello, bass, drums ... wonderful stuff

:party:

* With the exception, of course, of yet another dreaded version of "My Funny Valentine." Like a comic who thinks repeating the same hit joke over and over is going to repeatedly bring the same enthusiastic laughter ... :rmad:

Edited by Late

What Late said!

I'll just add a recommendation for the Mercury/EmArcy albums by the Gerry Mulligan

sextet with Jon Eardley (sometime Don Ferrara), Bob Brookmeyer and Zoot Sims.

They might be hard to get nowadays but they sure are worth the search.

Shrink, I dig that album ... with one exception. I wish that Mulligan would have been banned from playing "My Funny Valentine." Jesus. I wish everyone would have been banned from that tune.

:mellow:

OK ... I'll permit Miles' versions (but only from Cookin' and the Columbia album of the same title) and Chet's version (only the original vocal version). ;)

Other versions begone! :angry:

:mellow:

Allright, let's now imagine if all the collective energy invested in recording "My Funny Valentine" covers (over and over and over and over) were instead invested in recording Bud Powell compositions, or Herbie Nichols compositions ... or Wally Cirillo compositions.

The world could look like this: :excited:

And people would be on the streets looking like this: :party:

And anyone who decided to play "My Funny Valentine" anyway (though oh so imprudently) would have to deal with this: :bwallace:

And then, as penalty, made to watch 37,003 consecutive hours of Friends reruns :eye::eye:, while listening to reggae Christmas compilations sung with a German accent.

Yes, that's it.

Edited by Late

d912821jkse.jpg

This is the octet recording mentioned above and it's a must have. The arrangements, however, are NOT by Mulligan, but by the great Bill Holman. Unfortunately, I think it's out-of-print...

I'm also rather fond of this session with the great Astor Piazolla. Probably shouldn't be one of your first picks, but well worth tracking down once you're hooked on Mulligan. Also, OOP, I'm afraid...

f47747swzqs.jpg

Edited by The Mule

Jan,

I've read that Miles gave Gerry that nickname. I've heard it pronounced "JAIR-uh" (which would kind of sound like a lazy form of "Gerry"), but I've also heard it pronounced "JAY-roo" (and I don't know how that would have come about ... but the Cleveland reference sounds good).

His album entitled Jeru, on Columbia, is a nice date, though it's very, very laid back. Gerry with piano, bass, drums, and the softest conga you've ever heard. Great for dinners with the wife. I wish Columbia would reissue it.

p.s.

In an e-mail I received some time ago from Michael Cuscuna, apparently many stereo reel tapes Mulligan made for Pacific Jazz in 1957 have been "found." Reunion, as a result, will be appearing (I'm pretty sure) in stereo for the first time in the Mosaic Select. And I think that Songbook will also be appearing in stereo. Mule's right: Holman's arrangements are great. The octet session creeps up on you. It didn't strike me as very interesting at first, but now I'm a solid fan. Where else can you hear Lee Konitz, Al Cohn, Allen Eager, Zoot Sims, and Mulligan all solo on the same record?

Edited by Late

Y'know, I used to have both Mulligan Meets Monk AND Songbook; the former I traded away because programming the CD player was getting bothersome (I know, I know; I'm ridiculously anal when it comes to that, but dammit, Keepnews shoulda had his head examined for doing that!); the latter because..... well, come to think of it, I don't remember. Probably the same brain-fart that made me trade away Endgame Brilliance. When will I ever learn? Hell, for that matter, will I ever learn?!?!? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Maybe if a 20-bit remaster of the Monk album ever comes around, perhaps I'll get that. I'd thought about searching out Songbook again (it can usually be found quite easily around here); but if what was said earlier about a stereo version is true, well then, THAT will be worth the wait!!!

Thanks for all the advice! Keep the great recs & stories coming! :tup

I've always thought the affinity Mulligan shared with Paul Desmond led to some inspired exchanges. "Two of a Mind" is a favorite of mine; plus, the recent reissue contains some great additional material. For the kind of simultaneous improvisation they do here I think the no-piano concept allows for an uncluttered space for them to do their thing!

Jan,

I've read that Miles gave Gerry that nickname. I've heard it pronounced "JAIR-uh" (which would kind of sound like a lazy form of "Gerry"), but I've also heard it pronounced "JAY-roo" (and I don't know how that would have come about ... but the Cleveland reference sounds good).

Thanks Late, that was the kind of thing I was looking for. I believe JAY-roo is the standard pronounciation of Jeru, which I *think* is an antiquated name for a chariot driver. I can't find it in the dictionary, nor can I tell you why I think that, but it's in my brain for one reason or another.

• 2 years later...

The Age of Steam!!!

Damn straight! :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Funny this thread has kind of vanished. I'm a big fan of the Age of Steam and am wondering if it has ever been rereleased. It's quite rare, and I had a CDR that finally passed away. As I started looking to replace it, I find this unusual package that claims it has the original version of the Age of Steam CD plus a master class and interviews on DVD. It can be had fairly inexpensively on amazon or ebay or apparently ejazzlines.

Age of Steam

Has anyone actually purchased this? Is the CD a regular CD, or is it one of those instructional things with the music separated into channels to allow you to play along with Jeru's solos? According to the reviewer, the CD is fine, but I'd like some independent verification. Many thanks.

Eric

The CD is the original recording, remastered and sounding fine. The DVD has more than 4 hours of material, including a master class, interviews with musicians from The Age of Steam, including Brookmeyer and Tom Scott, an excellent documentary, and a DVD Audio, surround-sound mix of The Age of Steam.

An excellent package, well worth the money. And don't pay the $29.99 Amazon is asking - you can get it direct from Artists House for $24.98, including shipping.

Edited by JPF

An excellent package, well worth the money. And don't pay the $29.99 Amazon is asking - you can get it direct from Artists House for $24.98, including shipping.

I notice that CD Universe has it for $16.98.

Thanks. Great news that this is back out, even though it might have been better to reissue the CD on its own as well. Even better news that CD Universe has it, since I think I need to order a few more things from them to get my karma back in balance (I got the Cellar Door at the low price).

I notice that CD Universe has it for $16.98.

Thanks. Great news that this is back out, even though it might have been better to reissue the CD on its own as well. Even better news that CD Universe has it, since I think I need to order a few more things from them to get my karma back in balance (I got the Cellar Door at the low price).

I hope that your karma isn't the source of the delay in the Cellar Door set. (If it is, you better make a large order!)

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Verve UK put out an excellent series of Mulligan collaborations many years ago on vinyl called 'Gerry Mulligan Meets the Sax Giants'. 3 volumes - includes much of the material with Hodges, Webster, Getz and Desmond. Vol 2 is a particular sentimental favourite.

All of these 'meetings' are good to great...

Is there anyone he didn't meet?

;)