Aug 5th RVGs

Soul Stream

what are you WAITING for!  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sorry to hear that Ghost of Miles. I hate it when that happens, especially when a replacement is on the shelves. :(

Speaking of Grantstand...

Is the organ sound on track 1 @ 0:47-0:49 & again @ 1:17 - 1:19 the same/better/worse than on previous versions. I was listening on my office system, but it was jarring enough for me to run it back and see if it was a disc skip or something in the mix.

I didn't notice any other "problems" throughout the rest of the disc.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because for every 100,000 Harry Potter fans there's one Grant Green fan.  When as many people buy RVG's as Harry Potter books, believe me, they'll take notice!

(Imagine, the new RVG release being covered on TV news, people camped out in front of the stores for days, lines around the block.... ****sigh****) :D

Yeah, and Kenny G would be voted President!

No, Wayne Shorter would be! (And Sonny Rollins would be Sec. of State!) :P

WEll, after listening to each release exactly once (not the Trane though) I have to say that the Blakey date is the most impressive thus far. It just explods out of the starting gate and never relents. The Dex is VERY nice, I would say that it's at least as good as GO. Bud sounds great!

What's the deal with the exclamation point on "Indestructible!"? I have the vinyl, and there is an exclamation point after the title on the back of the cover and on the label. I noticed that the RVG omits the exclamation point. Come on! "Indestructibe!" is so much better than "Indestructible." This is Art Blakey, for god's sake, and this record destroys most of the Blue Note catalog!

In A/B'ing the late 80's U.S. BN CD of GRANTSTAND and the new RVG, the grungy organ sound on peaks in the music is there on both versions. It's no more prominent to me on the RVG, and otherwise there is no comparison - the RVG has a much fatter bass, natural high end, and greater presence and depth. A really nice improvement. While it's true the music has always stood on its own, I find myself warming to this session even more now that it has been given a proper treatment on CD.

My guess is that on the original recording, Rudy captured McDuff's organ a little too "hot" at the start of that track and then backed the levels down, but that's speculative since I haven't ever heard, say, the original vinyl - it could be a problem that came up later with tape degradation or a transfer problem.

Tony, Jack's organ sound during those days featured a bit of overdriven Leslie with the first 4 drawbars pulled out, are you sure that's not what you are hearing? I haven't heard this record at all, tried to pick it up yesterday, when I was out with friends visiting from NY, but B&N didn't have it. I picked up "Indestructable" and will listen to it in detail later on, I heard "The Egyptian" though, great stuff.

CJ, what I'm hearing is beyond the normal slightly overdriven sound of McDuff's organ (for example, the sound heard throughout the rest of the session). It sounds like the recording level was set just a little too hot. It's not a particularly pleasant sound, but only a minor distraction, and it seems to not be a problem throughout the session, just on the first track.

It's a very minor problem, though. GRANTSTAND is indeed a wonderful session and it is all the better for having Lateef on board, one of my favorites (been grooving to his earliest Savoy material after picking up the old 2 LP set MORNING).

No shit. When I hear Lateef "on" on the tenor, there's for me hardly anyone I'd rather hear. He just for me has it all.

Lateef makes this session what it ultimately is in many ways. Grant, McDuff, Harewood and Vick would have been great too. But it wouldn't have been THIS "Grantstand." :)

I am somewhat disappointed in the Horace Silver Trio RVG. I did not have it before and I am a big fan, but he appears on this disc not to have yet emerged from an overwhelming Bud Powell influence, not that Bud is a bad influence, but you might as well go to the source. Anyone else agree?

I am somewhat disappointed in the Horace Silver Trio RVG. I did not have it before and I am a big fan, but he appears on this disc not to have yet emerged from an overwhelming Bud Powell influence, not that Bud is a bad influence, but you might as well go to the source. Anyone else agree?

It's funny you should mention that because the first time I listened to it, I had the same reaction, plus some of the standards he plays seem hardly recognizable. I'm listening to it again (I was wondering if I was crazy) and tonight I'm planning to compare Horoscope to Horace-scope to see the difference. I believe you're right however. Another point, on Safari, I almost thought I was listening to Max Roach from Un Poco Loco for a little while, instead of Blakey.

I hear the Powell influence, too. But, I also hear something else. Not really an influence, but an approach to stating a melody that is reminiscent of, I'd say, Lee Konitz. As Konitz often likes to allude to melodies, I hear some of this tendency in Silver's playing, at least at this time. I really like his treatment of "Ecaroh" here, which I know better from the Columbia Messengers album. On that album, all the lines played seem more direct (whether they really are or not), but on this trio session, they seem served up, how to say it, from the side.

I think the longer you play this one, the more it will get into your veins. I played it last night during dinner, and the wife unconsciously began the head-nod on some tunes. Aha!

And ... to go along with the Rudy-remasters-Doug-Hawkins theory, I think this again is one of Rudy's better efforts. Now we need the Hope's, Navarro's, heck – bring on the Silver album of the same cover (but in blue): the original studio Messengers album!

Edited by Late

I also picked up the Silver Trio CD. The sound is not that different from the McMaster edition. They changed the track order, at least in how it relates to the earlier CD edition. Now, I believe the running order is equivalent to the two 10 inches, not the 12 inch LP. Also, why didn't they include the 10 inch album covers? They did with some other titles.

This has always been one of my favorite sessions. The music speaks for itself. I agree with the Safari ~ Un Poco Loco similarities. Art just SWINGS his ass off. One of my favorite drum solos ever.

There is nothing wrong with this reissue, just not as dramatic a difference (like the Monk RVG's) as I would have hoped for.

What Late said. Bring on the Navarro and original Messengers!

Edited by Jim Dye

I'll never forget a response I got back from an old college buddy of mine (now a music professor at Yale) when I sent a tape of these Silver Trio sides to him. He called me up very excited and said "Horace Silver had a left hand from HELL!"

I have to agree. the stuff he does with the left hand, especially the rumbling thing he gets going, knocks me out.

Late is right on in his analysis. Horace does seem to allude to the melodies. It's a different technique (at least to me) and threw me off at first. And they do grow on you.

I just discovered that I had an LP that Blue Note put of Horace's BN Trio work, not just from the early 50s but later as well. Too bad all of it couldn't have been reissued.