True Confessions!

gdogus

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 14 Ellington discs, only 1 Basie, only 4 Charlie Parkers & 4 Dizzy Gillespies, aside from Chuck's box only 2 AEoCs, only 3 Cecil Taylors, only 1 Paul Bley, only 2 Lee Konitz. No Louis Armstrong, no Art Pepper, no Carla Bley.

Aside from some Ellington almost no pre-bebop jazz.

Guy

Aside from a few tracks on compilations, I don't have any Fletcher Henderson (an omission I keep meaning to fix). I only have one Benny Carter disc. A small handful of Coleman Hawkins (five or six discs). Basically, any artist of whom I have fewer than ten discs, I feel like to I need to get more...

Biggest sins (IMO) - no Jelly Roll Morton or Bessie Smith.

Some others, certainly not all: Keith Jarrett, John Patton, Jack McDuff, Jimmy Raney, Artie Shaw, Mose Allison (outside of Who/Townshend covers ;)) Chico Hamilton, Cal Tjader, George Shearing, Hal Russell, Wadada Leo Smith. I know where to get the last 2. :)

No Chu Berry but I'm eagerly awaiting the Mosaic.

Sins of a guitarist: No Tal Farlow, Jimmy Raney, or Billy Bauer.

Joe, you gotta fix that Jim Raney quick.

Actually, I just remembered that I do have one Raney disc. It's the play-along he did for Abersold. Unfortunately I lost the accompanying book long ago.

Edit: I just did a google search on the phrase "abersold playalong", and first hit was: JustJazz Discussion List: RE: Jimmy Raney chords HELP!1 (Abersold ...

Crazy!

Edited by Joe G

More holes than money, sorry to say.

That about sums up my collection. My to-buy list is longer than my inventory. Much of the to-buy list are from Organissimo Blindfold Tests.

Off the top of my head, some names on the list are:

Horace Parlan

Barry Harris

Ornette Coleman

Need some of those guitarists Joe mentioned, too!

The most recent additions have included Ellington and Mingus, both of whom were glaring omissions from my collection for far too long. Still need more! I also have tons of single albums by giants such as Gil Evans. Need more Coltrane. Like Lon said though, there's still tons to discover!

A non-jazz gap that has been irking me forever is the absense of any Steely Dan on my shelves.

Edited by Noj