Trumpet ideas for Andrew Hill / Jason Moran???

Rooster_Ties

In musical contexts with Andrew Hill and Jason Moran (both as leaders and as sidemen), it seems like we get sax more frequently than trumpers.

So the, who are some trumpet players you'd like to hear record with Andrew Hill or Jason Moran?? Pretend Hill and Moran are each planning to do an album with the following instrumentation...

trumpet, piano, bass, drums - (and no sax)

Who would be good in the trumpet spot???

I'll throw out a couple names I thought of rather quickly...

Jeremy Pelt

Ralph Allesi

Tim Hagans, perhaps

After that, I start to run out of ideas, though I'm certain there've gotta be others who could do it well, and even some who would bring something entirely different to the project -- I'm thinking of guys like...

Tomasz Stanko or Kenny Wheeler

...who could perhaps serve in a role slightly more akin to that of Benny Maupin's bass-clarinet work on "Bitches Brew" -- or at least provide a vibe more like that, meaning one that would be really different than where I think either Hill's or Moran's musical ideas are normally at. (And by that, I mean that they could add a color, or shading to the proceedings -- as opposed to being an "in your face" soloist, like Freddie was on Herbie's "Empyrean Isles")

Andrew Hill uses Ron Horton when he does use a trumpet player, and I think they are a very good fit.

I've talked to Ron a few times, and he has a very deep understanding of Andrew's music.

If Andrew is hired to play in a quartet setting, then he seems to choose a sax rather than a trumpet. Most touring quartets are sax + rhythm, rather than trumpet + rhythm. I wonder why that is?

Bertrand.

On the Hill-sax-connection (as opposed to the Hill-well, youknow): what do you guys think about Joel Frahm, who shows up with Hill from time to time?

I heard him with Jane Monheit (a nice band, with Mike Kanan on piano) and he did some real killer solos on "That Old Black Magic" and "Lover Come Back to Me" - leaves you breathless. A very good sense for construction, then he seems to be in complete command whatever the tempo (and that Lover was REAL fast...), and playing no licks, building up to a very heated density and slowly coming down again...

got me real impressed!

On topic: I also think Horton is a good match for Hill, though: hearing some of those (european) guys play with him would be great, I guess (like Stanko, Wheeler, mayber Enrico Rava, or Paolo Fresu).

ubu

From what I've heard of Phil Grenadier, I think he could bring out the playfulness that is inherent in much of Hill's music, but that a lot of players seem to overlook.

I like the Bakida idea too, as well as the Rava & Wheeler.

How are Bill Dixon's chops these days? That might make for a pretty interesting duet session...

Jim -- I gave a passing thought to Dixon, but it seems to me he doesn't collaborate like he used to. I do think there are some aesthetic compatibilities between he and Hill, though.

Smoker has played Hill's music before, in the company of Anthony Braxton. SO I think its about damn time he plays with Hill himself!

Agree about Phil -- though I might like to hear him match wits with Moran first, as both men share an ability to take current pop tunes and transform them into sturdy, very maneuverable vehicles for improvisation.

What we REALLY need is Hill / Von Freeman or Hill / Johnny Griffin record.

Edited by Joe

What a cool thread!

Well....as much as I'd kill for that chance to play w/ Hill (or Moran)thanks Jim,Joe(you must have received it?)& Adrian...I'll 2nd the vote of Baikida Carroll and Ralph Alessi(his "This Against That"is killin' me!)

Pelt can burn the house down,but I haven't heard him play in an Andrew Hill-ish setting yet,so I'll stick with my 2 choices.

Edit:How 'bout Rob Blakeslee?Bobby Bradford?

Edited by Trumpet Guy

Most touring quartets are sax + rhythm, rather than trumpet + rhythm. I wonder why that is?

I've often wondered this too. Also, the number of "piano-trio plus sax" albums over the years, must be 10 times the number of "piano-trio plus trumpet". 10 times?? - make that 20 or 30 times, now that I think of it.

Don't mean to derail my own thread, but the question posed is a good one. Ideas?? Are there just way more sax players out there, than trumpet players?? That could be it, right there.

I'd say its hard on trumpeters lips to be blowin' so much in a quartet.You need to rest while the sax player plays ALL those notes :)

Indeed, that's what makes an album like Lee Morgan's CANDY, and many others in the trumpet-quartet model, all the more remarkable. Lee definitely blows a lot of trumpet on that session.

Yes, to several of the names mentioned above, but while part of me felt this was a bit stale or too obvious or wrong for some reason I've forgotten, the first player who came to mind was Dave Douglas. I think he'd pick right up on Hill's stuff, if he hasn't already, and would bring a lot of perky, quirky drive to the proceedings.

I'd say its hard on trumpeters lips to be blowin' so much in a quartet.You need to rest while the sax player plays ALL those notes :)

Indeed, that's what makes an album like Lee Morgan's CANDY, and many others in the trumpet-quartet model, all the more remarkable. Lee definitely blows a lot of trumpet on that session.

off topic: there was a discussion about trumpet quartets earlier on this board:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...trumpet+quartet

ubu

• 2 years later...

Charles Tolliver, yes, would be my vote too. OTOH, as far as younger players go, I don't think any really hold a candle to Roy Hargrove in terms of ideas or feel; he would more than hold his own even in Hill's more intellectual/emotional realms. And I often feel that Jason Moran could use a little extra added swing at times, in spite of his killing rhythm section.

Related, sorta: I've always preferred trumpet with tenor to trumpet with alto in a 4- or 5-tet, I suppose for the contrast in register. Anyone feel the same or differently? It bugged me a little that Roy always had altos in his 5-tets instead of tenors, though as far as I know that never changed.

Edited by Elis