AOW past and present

Soul Stream

My album of the week is:

Informal Jazz by the Elmo Hope Sextet aka Two Tenors with John Coltrane and Hank Mobley

Elmo Hope — piano

Donald Byrd — trumpet

John Coltrane, Hank Mobley — tenor saxophone

Paul Chambers — bass

Philly Joe Jones — drums

Track listing

"Weeja" (Elmo Hope) — 11:00

"Polka Dots and Moonbeams" (Jimmy Van Heusen, Johnny Burke) — 8:31

"On It" (Elmo Hope) — 8:58

"Avalon" (Al Jolson, Buddy DeSylva, Vincent Rose) — 9:37

I discovered this by accident because I am a huge Hank Mobley (and Coltrane) fan and the thought of a collaboration between two of my favorite tenors plus under appreciated Elmo Hope was too much to pass up. I prefer this period in Donald Byrd's career vs his later work. It was originally called Informal Jazz by the Elmo Hope Sextet and since Elmo Hope never became famous and John Coltrane became a mega star the album was reissued as Two Tenors with John Coltrane and Hank Mobley. This is not a homogeneous quartet but mainly everyone going about their own agendas but with moments of individual brilliance (not surprising considering the all star cast). If you are a Hank Mobley and/or John Coltrane aficionado you will enjoy this.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My album of the week is:

Charisma by Lee Morgan

• "Hey Chico" (Morgan) - 7:17
  • "Somethin' Cute" (Morgan) - 5:39
  • "Rainy Night" (Walton) - 5:39
  • "Sweet Honey Bee" (Pearson) - 6:54
  • "The Murphy Man" (Pearson) - 7:34
  • "The Double Up" (Morgan) - 6:01

Great lineup in one of Lee Morgan's later efforts of his tragically short career. I got it because I am huge Mobley fan but I was blown away by how enjoyable this CD was and its now one of my favorites.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

So I assume that the Album of the Week tradition has died a death? No posts since last June. What a shame. Are there any plans to reinstate it? If so I'd definitely contribute in any way I can.

I'm happy to continue taking care of it but there doesn't seem to be any interest currently..

• 2 months later...

MI0000277407.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Hello everyone, first post here. I have many albums in mind but just to get into the groove here, have you heard of the 1964 album "Blues Bag." Unless you can find the Vinyl album, this album can be purchased in CD but comes with another album. great stuff, Buddy De Franco is playing Bass Clarinet on this one and should had played it more often, great stuff!

Tracklist
A1 Blues Bag 5:30 A2 Rain Dance 5:37 A3 Straight No Chaser 3:44 A4 Cousin Mary 4:40 B1 Blues Connotation 3:44 B2 Kush 7:48 B3 Twelve Tone Blues 6:20
Credits
  • BassVictor Sproles
  • Bass ClarinetBuddy De Franco*
  • DrumsAbdullah Buhaina
  • PianoVictor Feldman
  • ProducerLeonard Feather
  • TromboneCurtis Fuller (tracks: A2, B1, B3)
  • TrumpetFreddie Hill (tracks: B1), Lee Morgan (tracks: A2, B3)

You'll find a few comments on the album here:

For my part, I'm somewhat underwhelmed by that album. Great band, excellent tunes selection, but I feel De Franco could have used some more time with his instrument (did i read that he just had a few days ?): he often sounds strained to my ear (but maybe it's just me).

Edited by Simon8

Hello! I see that Simon8 had posted this in the past but then again, I'm new here. Hello Veteran groover, I really don't find De Franco too straining on the ear at all but I do find his approach, to whatever songs he recorded was lacking chops, maybe the personel he worked with, I don't know? Don't get me wrong in respect to his talent, there's nobody who could improvise better than him but he sort of faded away because as I mentioned, he hung out with a different crowd and veered away in the mid 50's. Now, as for him playing the Bass Baritone more often, that would have made him more interesting, wouldn't you say?

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...
2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I just got me a copy of an album that was on my want list for many years, and I am delighted. I'd love to discuss it as AOTW. 

Why nor re-start the series in a more casual way? When there is no opposition, I will go ahead. What do you think?

Sounds good to me !

Go for it.  I hope you have success with generating discussion.  I gave up many years ago, as I put up what I thought were some fascinating albums, and by the end was getting almost nothing except a few snide comments.  Shocking to me that people did not have much to say about something like "John Handy Live at Monterey" or "Jazz Contemporaries - Reasons In Tonality" (one of the greatest Strata-East albums, with Clifford Jordan, George Coleman, and Julius Watkins exploring new ground.), but there it was, or more accurately, there it wasn't.

It was Album of the Week, for many years its been a completely dead "weekly" topic.

How many Recommendations threads have 1 opening post, and 30 views?  I would bet a lot, and the ones with comments are of the variety "yeah, I know it, it's great" or "thanks".

Mike's interest in starting a discussion means that for better, worse or total indifference, it belongs where he's been thinking he should put it.

After all this build up I hope the recording he thinks of can generate a modicum of discussion.