Jazz Photos From Slate

Hey Chuck, there's a female trombone player in that Slate photo series. Any idea who that is? :P;)

My guess would be Lillian Briggs.

Good Guess!

lbriggs2.jpg

Lillian Briggs, real name Lillian Biggs, was a former laundry truckdriver. The late Alan Freed thought she had a tremendous stage presence and he included Lillian on the bill in many of the shows he produced in New York at this time. She would come out on stage in a skin-tight silver or gold lam� dress which she seemed to have been poured into and then proceeded to break up the audience with her trombone-playing and her singing. Her biggest hit was a vocal "I want you to be my baby" release on Epic in the fall of 1955.

Lillian Biggs, began her career as a trombonist in her hometown and later joined an all-girl orchestra in 1952. Two years later she was discovered by talent scout Jack Petrill, who launched her solo career. That same year she signed a recording contract with Epic Records and waxed "I want you to be my baby" which sold over a million copies.

During the peak of her career (1954-64) she appeared on numerous TV shows including Jack Paar's "Tonight Show", "The Mike Douglas Show", "American Bandstand" and "The Steve Allen Show" and featured in the Jerry lewis starrer "Ladies man". Lillian also recorded several songs on the soundtracks of three Hollywood films: "The Fugitive Kind", "Mr. Wonderful" and "My sister Eileen".

Lillian toured extensively until the early 70s, when she relocated to Miami Beach and became a co-partner in a lucrative waterfront resort called Turnberry Isle. Living a jet-set lifestyle during the 80s, she loaned her yacht "Monkey Business" to numerous friends, including former senator Gary Hart and Donna Rice.

In the early 80's I once had a couple of drinks at one of the bars at Turnberry Isle, sitting between John McEnroe and James Cann, both of whom had homes there at the time ,as well as Dustin Hoffman and many Saudi sheiks.

Edited by marcello

Thanks. I don't think I've seen photos of Phillips other than after he hit 70.

Hey Chuck, there's a female trombone player in that Slate photo series. Any idea who that is? :P;)

OK I give. The only female trombone player from the fifties I can think of is Melba Liston. But that woman looks like a white blonde. Who is she?