Horace Parlan Mosaic

Don't see this one discussed much. I dusted it off the shelf recently and must say its one fantastic set. Incredible piano and his talent for interaction with his sidemen is just beautiful. Can't find a bland track in the whole set. Don't let this one slip by!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased this one a week ago. I listened to it pretty much all last week. This is really a great set. One fact of which I was unware until reading the booklet was that Parlan had polio at age five and that he lacked the use of the fourth and fifth fingers of his right hand. I'd have never known by his sound.

This set also boasts some pretty impressive work by George Tucker and Al Harewood. Tucker reminds me a bit of Mingus and Harewood makes his presence known but never gets in the way.

A great set, yes! I was quite positively surprised, bought it without having heard any of the albums.

Love the two trio sets with Tucker/Harewood - they've got a very nice touch of their own.

Then the two albums with the Turrentines are great, too. Only it's a pity that the third one released under Stan Turrentine's name somewhen in the eighties if I'm right is not included. I have that one on LP and it's a pretty fine date as well.

Oh, and speak about Booker E., and Grant Green, and Johnny Coles :wub:

ubu

The Turrentine session with Parlan, not included in the Parlan Mosaic; is it the one issued on the Turrentine Mosaic?

If so, it is very good; and helped to make up my mind to eventually buy the Parlan Mosaic.

It's called "Comin' Your Way" and it's the first session on the Turrentine Mosaic (which I don't have yet).

"Just in Time" and the alt. of "Fine Lil Lass" were not on the LP (maybe on the late eighties CD if there was one?). "Thomasville" is, in my opinion, the session-highlight.

ubu

I love this set, and Ron got the sound right, too (for once, there's no need to track down the TOCJs). As someone said, that trio had a gait of its own. George Tucker is a wonderful bassist, and I agree that he is reminiscent of Mingus - a very strong plucker.

Let's all go and play "Wadin'"!

If I had this set, I would rate it very highly as the music is fabulous. I have, on LP, all the non-trio sides like Speakin' my Piece, Up and Down, Back from the Gig and On the Spur of the Moment. The Turrentine bros. work very well with Parlan as does Ervin. For me, these albums rank easily with the best BN sides. However, they are not that easily obtained elsewhere as single albums.

I am most surprised that this set is not mentioned more often.

It's called "Comin' Your Way" and it's the first session on the Turrentine Mosaic (which I don't have yet).

"Just in Time" and the alt. of "Fine Lil Lass" were not on the LP (maybe on the late eighties CD if there was one?). "Thomasville" is, in my opinion, the session-highlight.

ubu

"Just In Time" and the alternate of "Fine L'il Lass" are indeed on the early cd of Comin' Your Way.

The music on this is so fine it's eye popping. I particularly dug Speakin' My Piece and On the Spur of the Moment with the Turrentines, especially Oh So Blue.

Yes, yes, YAS!

I love Booker Ervin's "Skoo Chee" on On the Spur of the Moment. How 'bout when Tommy comes in for his solo with that rapid-tonguing flutter? I love how the Turrentine's mesh on this tune.

On a related note, I was real disappointed with the version of "Skoo Chee" on the Roy Haynes album, with The Book himself on tenor. The Haynes version doesn't bounce nearly as well as does the Turrentines and Parlan trio version.

• 8 months later...

I also wanted to give this one a hearty :tup !!

While I don't own the Mosaic, I did finally find a copy of "Movin' & Groovin'" TOCJ to finish off his Blue Note material. All of this music is terrific!!! Parlan plays the blues so well. He's a lifer in my collection.

Edited by undergroundagent

The trio sides are very nice. they swing like crazy, but I must say that a certain sameness (I hate to use the word predictability) sets in after a while. I really do think this set would have been even better if the recordings had been placed in chronological order (of course, we can listen to them in whatever order we choose). 2 discs of straight piano trio shows off Parlan's strengths, but also his limitations. To be perfectly honest about it, if I had ALL the other stuff, I don't think I would buy the Mosaic set for just the trio sides (even though I do enjoy them and am glad I have them).

John —

I have to agree. The trio sides are terrific, but are not reason enough to buy the Mosaic. IMHO, the sessions with the Turrentine Bros. are his best material.

Besides, those trio sessions can be had at the right price. "Us Three" is still available as a JRVG, and the Conn also pops up on occassion. "Movin' & Groovin'" is by the far the toughest of any his albums to find and might take some effort. When you do find it, however, the groove is tight!

• 7 months later...

Just completed listening to this set. Some great music especially the sessions with the Turrentine brothers. Horace's piano style is generally bluesy and lyrical and in the Booker Ervin sessions showed he is/was just as comfortable in the exploratory mode (whatever that means :rolleyes: ). Can't get used to his block chords though, a distinguishing feature that IMO does not add to the music - in fact a little irritating. Agree about the trio sides being repetitive after a while. Ditto for the quartet with Ray Barretto although they're more interesting when Ray is more prominently heard. Overall a very good listening experience and my first of Horace and Stanley Turrentine (time for another Mosaic buy ;) ).

Think there is an error in the printing in the booklet. The captions for photos of the last session read 15 March '63, which should have been 15 February '63. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Haven't confirmed this with Mosaic though.