Which Coltrane are you enjoying right now?

jazzbo

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

had forgotten about africa brass... (listened to ole yesterday and enjoyed it a lot once again, no idea of course how similar that is)

and transition... oh, oh, lots of buying needed

Just bought Transistion last week-that's an amazing session, especially the duo w/ Jones! Like Dear Old Stockholm, I coudn't believe I went this long without hearing these sooner!

Africa/Brass, from the recent 5-cd box. The stereo separation is extreme, sorta unpleasant (although of it's time). Has anyone heard the mono version - is it any better, is it available in any form?

Another question: I own the 8-cd "Classic Quartet" box. Which Impulse LPs are not included there? I can think of the following broad categories, but if anyone knows the specific titles, I'd appreciate it:

Live dates (VV, VV Again, Newport, various items included in "Deluxe" editions).

w/Duke Ellington, Johnny Hartman.

The ones with Pharaoh, Alice, Rashied, etc.

(and, I know, I know, the takes found after the "Complete" box was issued, and the ones remastered from the original tapes that were found after the "Complete" box was issued...don't get me started.) :rmad:

At least the box doesn't rust. ;)

Africa/Brass, from the recent 5-cd box. The stereo separation is extreme, sorta unpleasant (although of it's time). Has anyone heard the mono version - is it any better, is it available in any form?

I have an eighties LP reissue - German WB. I haven't played this for quite a little while. Daughter and grandson visiting most of today, so I'll line this up for tomorrow.

MG

I was listening to the Miles Quintet live in Europe from the spring of 1960 on Friday, and that got me on a Coltrane 60-61 binge over the weekend: the later Atlantic recordings, Like Sonny, the Village Vanguard box, Europe 61, African Brass, the first classic quartet album (Coltrane).

All in all, this may be my favorite period for Trane. The excitement of discovery was very fresh and real. Coltrane was forging ahead, and still hadn't left anything of value behind. Devastatingly good!

Edited by John L

:tupCrescent - right there in the top rank of Coltrane albums!

Crescent is one of the Impulses i'm still missing. it's high on my wish list, followed by Coltrane. i'm waiting for these to be reissued as Impulse Originals.

i debated long enough wether i should get the 90s 20-bit releases (after all that is one of my favourite reissue series ever, together with the 5000 series Conns and the West Coast Classics) but i think sound might be a bit superior on the new ones.

packaging is a different question, of course. there are little reissue series (excepting mini LPs, maybe) that come close to the elegance and beauty of that one. but for a change, and because they are midpriced, i'll wait for the new ones. or shouldn't i?

one of the lesser known Coltranes i really love (it could be one of my favourite pre-Impulse albums) is Coltrane plays the blues on Atlantic. it's just a blues program, but what playing! And Africa|Brass is also a favourite.

:tupCrescent - right there in the top rank of Coltrane albums!

Crescent is one of the Impulses i'm still missing. it's high on my wish list, followed by Coltrane. i'm waiting for these to be reissued as Impulse Originals.

i debated long enough wether i should get the 90s 20-bit releases (after all that is one of my favourite reissue series ever, together with the 5000 series Conns and the West Coast Classics) but i think sound might be a bit superior on the new ones.

packaging is a different question, of course. there are little reissue series (excepting mini LPs, maybe) that come close to the elegance and beauty of that one. but for a change, and because they are midpriced, i'll wait for the new ones. or shouldn't i?

one of the lesser known Coltranes i really love (it could be one of my favourite pre-Impulse albums) is Coltrane plays the blues on Atlantic. it's just a blues program, but what playing! And Africa|Brass is also a favourite.

Yes, Coltrane Plays the Blues is a fine one, which sadly I don't own.

:tupCrescent - right there in

Yes, Coltrane Plays the Blues is a fine one, which sadly I don't own.

That's the only one of his Atlantics that I DO own.

MG

Would you believe that I, Mr. hardbop-no-noise-boring-conservative-no-patience-for-anything-outside-of-my-comfort-zone, am listening to Ascension? And that I'm finding it oddly relaxing?

Well, now I've seen, heard and READ everything! :rolleyes:

Would you believe that I, Mr. hardbop-no-noise-boring-conservative-no-patience-for-anything-outside-of-my-comfort-zone, am listening to Ascension? And that I'm finding it oddly relaxing?

And after THAT little listening experience, I feel like I've also seen, heard, and read everything as well! :D

And after THAT little listening experience, I feel like I've also seen, heard, and read everything as well! :D

I totally understand what you're talking about in regards to the relaxing/meditative aspects of Ascension. You should definitely check out Marion Brown's ESP albums, that's some beautiful music...Pharoah's Impulse albums, particularly Deaf, Dumb, Blind are also transcendent. The jump from hard bop to these really isn't that far either, none of these albums are really "out", just exploratory and fucking REAL.

Look out!!! They are airborn!

flying%20pigs.jpg

:rofl: