Which Coltrane are you enjoying right now?

jazzbo

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another question: I own the 8-cd "Classic Quartet" box. Which Impulse LPs are not included there? I can think of the following broad categories, but if anyone knows the specific titles, I'd appreciate it:

Live dates (VV, VV Again, Newport, various items included in "Deluxe" editions).

w/Duke Ellington, Johnny Hartman.

The ones with Pharaoh, Alice, Rashied, etc.

(and, I know, I know, the takes found after the "Complete" box was issued, and the ones remastered from the original tapes that were found after the "Complete" box was issued...don't get me started.) :rmad:

At least the box doesn't rust. ;)

All right, I'll try to answer my own question:

The contains the following albums:

Ballads

Coltrane

Crescent

Impressions

The J.C. Quartet Plays

Kulu Se Mama

Live at Birdland (studio takes)

Living Space

A Love Supreme

Sun Ship

Transition

The Impulse albums not on the box are:

Africa/Brass

Live at the Village Vanguard

My Favorite Things: Coltrane at Newport

JC & Johnny Hartman

Duke Ellington & JC

Live at Birdland (live takes)

Ascension

New Thing At Newport

Live in Seattle

Om

Meditations

Live at the Village Vanguard Again

Expression

Stellar Regions

Interstellar Space

The Olatunji Concert

One Down, One Up: Live at the Half Note

Live in Japan

First Meditations

How did I do?

Africa/Brass, from the recent 5-cd box. The stereo separation is extreme, sorta unpleasant (although of it's time). Has anyone heard the mono version - is it any better, is it available in any form?

I have an eighties LP reissue - German WB. I haven't played this for quite a little while. Daughter and grandson visiting most of today, so I'll line this up for tomorrow.

MG

Finally got around to this.

I agree about the stereo separation - it's as if there's nowt in the middle; everything is coming out of one speaker or the other (this sounds silly). And it's also peculiar to hear Elvin's solo on Africa - one of his drums (the bass drum I think) seems to have been fed into the left channel, but the rest of the kit is in the right.

My copy, I see from close examination of the writing in the runoff, is a DMM job, by WEA German in the eighties. So the position wasn't improved by then. I've got to say, though it's a bit peculiar, I don't object to it.

There's nothing in the sleeve notes of my copy to say who recorded this or who produced it. I can't imagine RVG recording it like this. Could it be one of the Creed Taylor jobs, before he went to Verve?

MG

Africa/Brass, from the recent 5-cd box. The stereo separation is extreme, sorta unpleasant (although of it's time). Has anyone heard the mono version - is it any better, is it available in any form?

I have an eighties LP reissue - German WB. I haven't played this for quite a little while. Daughter and grandson visiting most of today, so I'll line this up for tomorrow.

MG

Finally got around to this.

I agree about the stereo separation - it's as if there's nowt in the middle; everything is coming out of one speaker or the other (this sounds silly). And it's also peculiar to hear Elvin's solo on Africa - one of his drums (the bass drum I think) seems to have been fed into the left channel, but the rest of the kit is in the right.

My copy, I see from close examination of the writing in the runoff, is a DMM job, by WEA German in the eighties. So the position wasn't improved by then. I've got to say, though it's a bit peculiar, I don't object to it.

There's nothing in the sleeve notes of my copy to say who recorded this or who produced it. I can't imagine RVG recording it like this. Could it be one of the Creed Taylor jobs, before he went to Verve?

MG

I assure you, this was recorded by RVG at his Englewood Cliffs studio.

The stereo separation doesn't seem that big an issue for me but I have my stereo biased more towards depth than side by side separation, that may be why. Love these sessions but I confess I like the first issued version of title track far more.

The contains the following albums:

Ballads

Coltrane

Crescent

Impressions

The J.C. Quartet Plays

Kulu Se Mama

Live at Birdland (studio takes)

Living Space

A Love Supreme

Sun Ship

Transition

The CD reissue of the J.C. Quartet Plays contains a live version of Nature Boy, not on the Box, that is well worth the price of the CD alone.

In between this and the Coltrane live reminiscences thread, I had to hear some Coltrane. So now it's:

At The Village Vanguard, Again.

:)

But very softly...as my wife is still asleep.

Hell...it's still intense...well maybe not Naima, but MFT is ramping up right now... :)

Edited by Parkertown

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm guilty of not owning Crescent yet either; its one of the last of a handful of Trane Impulses I'm missing. Sounds like I gotta have it though :ph34r:

Well it took a few months, but I finally bought this yesterday (at our deflated Borders which only had this lone Impulse! title in stock) and I'm diggin' it quite a bit. A lot more mellower than what I was expecting but man, you can feel it, especially on Lonnie's Lament, which I think someone mentioned was a standout track above.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...