As soon as I hear the word "culture" I have my doubts. Sometimes these authors (like the last Prez biography) have more interest in telling us the social ramifications of the music. To me, an accurate portrayal of the life and music should be the goal.

That said, can't wait. :g

As soon as I hear the word "culture" I have my doubts. Sometimes these authors (like the last Prez biography) have more interest in telling us the social ramifications of the music. To me, an accurate portrayal of the life and music should be the goal.

That said, can't wait.

Interesting observation. But like you, I can't wait either. :)

You got that right. I bought the Pres book and read it in hopes that it would be the latter. Alas, it was very much the former. As a sociological study of Greenville, Miss., and Kansas City Kansas; and for filling in some details of the man's family background it was worth something. But the author got nowhere near Lester Young the man or the artist despite numerous interviews with Pres. That's worse than burning spaghetti! What a bore.

I haven't read a jazz 'biography' since the dreadful piece of image-pimping about Chet Baker called Deep in a Dream (The Long Night of Chet Baker) removed all desire to do that for some time to come.....(A book on Chet by a Dutch author whose name escapes me now got it right IMO, and in much fewer pages. Musical art imitating literary art? Or maybe just superior minds thinking alike and scholar drawn to subject due to empathy.

I'm kicking myself because I want to recommend this book and can't remember the author's name. (First name started with J, I think) Anyone read it and want to help us out?

Edited by fasstrack

You got that right. I bought the Pres book and read it in hopes that it would be the latter. Alas, it was very much the former. As a sociological study of Greenville, Miss., and Kansas City Kansas; and for filling in some details of the man's family background it was worth something. But the author got nowhere near Lester Young the man or the artist despite numerous interviews with Pres.

Didn't bother with the Pres book but have to wonder about "numerous interviews with Pres".

What are these and can you list them. I only know of a couple. A member did one of them. :)

Haven't read it, but I certainly should:

Chet Baker: His Life and Music" by Jeroen De Valk

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-d...5021885-0504620

"Deep In A Dream" made me angry. Maybe it should have been a book about Bruce Weber, the fashion photographer (he of the beefcake shots of preppy young men in Calvin Klein undershorts) who made the Baker film "Let's Get Lost"; Jim Haskins, author of "Deep in a Dream," seemed to have much stronger (albeit angry) feelings about Weber than he had about Baker -- and seemed to know more about Weber than he did about Baker too. (The basis of the anger is that Weber's work is widely felt to be homoerotic, but Weber apparently has said that he's not gay -- Haskins, something of a gay activist, finds this to be hypocritical.)

P.S. De Valk has said that Haskins was well aware of the veracity of De Valk's relatively unsensationalistic account of Baker's death but preferred to take the "Did he jump or was he pushed?" route in order to pump up the volume (so to speak).

You got that right. I bought the Pres book and read it in hopes that it would be the latter. Alas, it was very much the former. As a sociological study of Greenville, Miss., and Kansas City Kansas; and for filling in some details of the man's family background it was worth something. But the author got nowhere near Lester Young the man or the artist despite numerous interviews with Pres.

Didn't bother with the Pres book but have to wonder about "numerous interviews with Pres".

What are these and can you list them. I only know of a couple. A member did one of them. :)

Sorry, I can't. The whole affair was so dry I fell asleep during it. Come to think of it maybe I'll crack it again tonight. Man, I'm bushed :g ....

Haven't read it, but I certainly should:

Chet Baker: His Life and Music" by Jeroen De Valk

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-d...5021885-0504620

"Deep In A Dream" made me angry. Maybe it should have been a book about Bruce Weber, the fashion photographer (he of the beefcake shots of preppy young men in Calvin Klein undershorts) who made the Baker film "Let's Get Lost"; Jim Haskins, author of "Deep in a Dream," seemed to have much stronger (albeit angry) feelings about Weber than he had about Baker -- and seemed to know more about Weber than he did about Baker too. (The basis of the anger is that Weber's work is widely felt to be homoerotic, but Weber apparently has said that he's not gay -- Haskins, something of a gay activist, finds this to be hypocritical.)

P.S. De Valk has said that Haskins was well aware of the veracity of De Valk's relatively unsensationalistic account of Baker's death but preferred to take the "Did he jump or was he pushed?" route in order to pump up the volume (so to speak).

Thanks for reminding me of the title of the 'good' book, Larry.

I thought it was James Gavin, not that I want to publicize him or his ill-gotten-gains.

I mean, look, I really try to avoid putting any artist or any person down. I know how hard it is and also want to look on the bright side. But this claptrap was downright offensive. On every other page was a drug-related mini-drama that made a Tom Waits song seem like a Sunday school hymn. I heard Gavin being interviewed on the book tour and the first thing he proved was his utter cluelessness about music. OK, he still could've done a respectable and honest portrait of the artist/man. Maybe Chet was the self-absorbed scumbag therein described. I'm not saying flinch or sugarcoat. But he made a fine point of turning over every stone to find another dark tale to sell his junkie chic and image pimping. It was like walking into a very bad William Burroughs novel.

Books like that (and parts of Art Pepper's Straight Life, though I admit I couldn't put it down) also make me realize the more I know about some of these guys the more I wishI knew only their music. Life does not imitate art often enough.

Edited by fasstrack

I hope so too.

I don't know a thing about the author.

FWIW, according to the publisher's website, he will be 30 this year, has a PhD, writes for Wire magazine and this is his first book.

F

PS Never would have thought I'd see a thread on Lee Morgan derailed to Chet Baker in this place... :g

Never would have thought I'd see a thread on Lee Morgan derailed to Chet Baker in this place... :g

Why not? They have a lot in common, not the least of which they're both the subject of books. Let's hope the one on Lee is deserving of the subject.

I actually would like to read a good book about Lee Morgan, especially if it touches on the other figures that were part of the NY scene in his day.

... But the author got nowhere near Lester Young the man or the artist despite numerous interviews with Pres....

Numerous interviews with Young? Tell us about them--who conducted the interviews and what did Prez say in them?

Someone asked me that already. I really don't remember now. I have to look again. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. I seem to remember some interviews.

I'm floored. In the last 10 years, I've come across a dozen or so people who were working on Morgan bios, including Jeff McMillan (who did his Masters' at Rutgers on Lee, and who I was told is writing his own book) and a friend who occasionally posts here. Yet I've never heard of this guy.

I wonder if he has any knowledge of the 60+ unrecorded tunes I found 13 years ago at the Library of Congress. This may or may not be critical information for a Morgan bio (I would lean towards thinking it is), but it deserves at least a mention. But then, Michelle Mercer thought an inventory of Wayne Shorter compositions (including unrecorded copyrights) was not useful for her book, so what the hell do I know.

I would certainly be willing to share what I have uncovered with this guy, but he has to find me first :) I'm tired of talking to people who never follow through.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

But then, Michelle Mercer thought an inventory of Wayne Shorter compositions (including unrecorded copyrights) was not useful for her book, so what the hell do I know.

And how was that Shorter book? Anyone read it?

BTW: For the people that asked about the Pres interviews in the bio previously alluded to (By Douglas Henry Daniels) there are indeed many snippets of Pres interviews but incredibly they do not appear to be credited in footnotes. For those that asked what he talked about: his practice habits (played with records); reading technique; love for Bix and Trambauer---among other things. Also the book is better than I thought: There are very good insights into his childhood and family life and his early life on the road. It's just kind of dry. The sociological slant is kind of different for a jazz bio and, I suppose, even necessary once in a while. Just have some nice strong espresso before reading.

Maybe take it out of the library. It's far from worthless.

Edited by fasstrack

If we're talking about the book by Douglas Henry Daniels, IIRC he interviewed Lee Young and other relatives at length, but I don't know about him interviewing Lester.

F

If we're talking about the book by Douglas Henry Daniels, IIRC he interviewed Lee Young and other relatives at length, but I don't know about him interviewing Lester.

That's what I was trying to clarify. The interviews, or call them quotes if you prefer, with Lester are never attributed. So there's no way of knowing who he said what to.

Hope that clears it up.

BTW: For the people that asked about the Pres interviews in the bio previously alluded to (By Douglas Henry Daniels) there are indeed many snippets of Pres interviews but incredibly they do not appear to be credited in footnotes. For those that asked what he talked about: his practice habits (played with records); reading technique; love for Bix and Trambauer---among other things. Also the book is better than I thought: There are very good insights into his childhood and family life and his early life on the road. It's just kind of dry. The sociological slant is kind of different for a jazz bio and, I suppose, even necessary once in a while. Just have some nice strong espresso before reading.

Maybe take it out of the library. It's far from worthless.

Agree on the Daniels book. Interesting - if not always convincing - on the social aspects but very lacking on the musical aspects.

As for the main Lester Young interviews, the three best (Hentoff, Christern and the late François Postif) are all included in 'A Lester Young Reader', the Lewis Porter compilation that was published by Smithsonian Institution.