Anybody have this?

2. Hampton Hawes : Web

3. David Axelrod feat. George Duke

6. Ramsey Lewis : Jungle strut

7. Roy Ayers feat. Harry Whitaker : Aragon

12. Dr. Lonnie Smith : Sizzle stick

16. Eddie Henderson feat. Herbie Hancock : Butterfly

17. Patrice Rushen : The hump

I have all these tracks, and they're all funky! I'd like to track down some of the others.

Great collection!

I love all of these Brown Sugar releases.

Some of the tunes are somewhat predictable

on these releases, but they do their homework on

many of the others.

You can get reviews and audio here.

I love the Rhodes sound. I need my dose regularly

(same with B3 natch ;) )

Electric pianos rule.

In the right hands in the right place, of course.

But whenever I hear somebody dismiss them out of hand, I get upset.

Because that's just wrong.

Selah.

There are no wrong opinions. :w

The sound of the electric piano in R&B (can anyone imagine Marvin Gaye's "Grapevine" without it?) is great, but I'd rather have Bill Evans, Cedar Walton and Tommy Flanagan stick to the acoustic instrument.

I see a cord on the left side. That's where the Rhodes output jack is, next to Volume and Bass Boost.

I like that guy's belt! almost as thick as his chops.

First electric piano I heard on record: "What I say" - Ray Charles (Wurley); "Sun Goddess" - Ramsey Lewis (Rhodes). Then of course later in the 80s with Peter Cetera on the Yamaha DX7 :g

Electric pianos rule.

In the right hands in the right place, of course.

But whenever I hear somebody dismiss them out of hand, I get upset.

Because that's just wrong.

Selah.

There are no wrong opinions. :w

The sound of the electric piano in R&B (can anyone imagine Marvin Gaye's "Grapevine" without it?) is great, but I'd rather have Bill Evans, Cedar Walton and Tommy Flanagan stick to the acoustic instrument.

Walton I can kinda go either way on, but for the other two I'm witcha. Although Flanagan's "Good Bait" on Rhodes was SWEEEEET!

But yeah, right hands, right place, like I said. I think of electric pianos, Rhodes in particular, in terms of texture and color, and it's a texture and color that isn't going to work for every player in every setting.

But personally, I prefer George Cable on electric. Joe Sample too.

Guest akanalog

cedar walton did some decent stuff on the e-piano.

i especially like the album with his head as a mobius strip which is probably called "mobius".

stanley cowell got a weird sound on his e-piano and it usually doesn't sound like he is playing a rhodes to me. i think it is some RMI e-piano. it is sort of plinky and generally has a very short decay when he plays it. "the stoker" is sweet though in my memory of it there is nothing that sounds like a fender rhodes. tootie heath on drums, though, i think.

george duke-he was the man. he had the golden touch on the rhodes and on synthesizers. i wish MPS would reissue his stuff. i will put on "faces in refelction" right now...

i would have chosen a more spiritual hawes tune to put on here. "northern windows" isn't one of my favorite albums though i read a review with axelrod where he seemed really pleased with the album and said webb and kaye sounded great. personally i find the album overproduced and cheesy. "web" is no exception.

i just got a barry miles LP called "scatbird" w. john abercrombie and frank tusa and miles could play some nice e-piano. there is a guy almost totally screwed in the CD era since none of his work (i also have a sweet album with a cool milton glaser cover from the late 60s) has really made it to the new format.

Guest akanalog

and i was just mentioning in another thread, as jsngry mentions, george cables knew how to play a e-piano. i was never a fan of "blackstone legacy" but on "song of songs" he does some nice work. i was surprised on freddie hubbard's "liquid love", he also knows his way around quite a few other electric keyboards. he wrote a long composition on that album and it is worth checking out, IMO, for some good mid-70s jazzfusionfunk etc.

Guest akanalog

also i think i mentioned in the black jazz thread, but roland haynes black jazz album "the second wave", i think it is called, is two e-pianos with bass and drums and that's it. generally one player will play very wahed chords and one will take more of a leading role. it is haynes (what happened to him?) and a young kirk lightsey on e-pianos. won't change your life, but if you are a "rhodes scholar" it is worth checking out.

• 1 month later...

stanley cowell got a weird sound on his e-piano and it usually doesn't sound like he is playing a rhodes to me. i think it is some RMI e-piano. it is sort of plinky and generally has a very short decay when he plays it. "the stoker" is sweet though in my memory of it there is nothing that sounds like a fender rhodes. tootie heath on drums, though, i think.

Is that track from one of the Galaxy albums? Then it should be a Rhodes. IIRC Cowell used that RMI only on his first LP for Black Lion, and possibly because they didn't have a Rhodes in the London studio where it was recorded.

also i think i mentioned in the black jazz thread, but roland haynes black jazz album "the second wave", i think it is called, is two e-pianos with bass and drums and that's it. generally one player will play very wahed chords and one will take more of a leading role. it is haynes (what happened to him?) and a young kirk lightsey on e-pianos. won't change your life, but if you are a "rhodes scholar" it is worth checking out.

Sounds good! :tup

Guest akanalog

mikeW, most examples i have heard of cowell on e-piano (another album which comes to mind is marion brown's "vista"), it doesn't sound like a rhodes and is generally labelled RMI electric piano.

maybe the RMI is in my imagination, but whatever cowell is doing, it doesn't sound rhodes-like at all to me.

On Cowell's Talkin' 'Bout Love it lists:

Stanley Cowell: Fender Rhodes

Charles B. Fowlkes Jr.: lead vocals

Clifford Coulter: guitar

Keith Hatchel: electric bass

Albert "Tootie" Heath: drums

Kenneth Nash: congas, percussion

Loretta Devine: background vocals

I am not a fan of the electric piano, I feel you do not connect to the player. I must also add it certainly has its place and its unique sound is well used on a lot of recordings but the one album for me where it is fantastic Oscar Petersons Night Child, 1979 on Pablo.

Guest akanalog

i don't know guys.

i will relisten to the cowell album, but i swear i remember that wheezy electric keyboard sound i associate with him (also a plinky sound which makes sense as he also played the kalimba...)

there is probably some rhodes underpinning which i have ignored.

and there are some slow tracks which i could imagine some mellow rhodes on but i sort of don't pay attention to, with the singing and all.