Something to look forward to

Dave James

Bolton Swings Sinatra CD

Michael Bolton Regular Price: $15.65

Sale Price: $13.29

Scheduled to release Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Place your order today and be one of the first to receive this product when it arrives.

1. You Go To My Head

2. Fly Me To The Moon

3. For Once In My Life

4. Summer Wind, The

5. My Funny Valentine

6. I've Got You Under My Skin

7. That's Life

8. 2nd Time Around, The - (featuring Nicollette Sheridan)

9. Girl From Ipanema

10. Night And Day

11. They Can't Take That Away From Me

12. New York, New York

Thank God for Concord Records.

Up over and out.

What pisses me off is that no-talent hacks like Bolton and people who were once good at something else (like Stewart back in his Faces and Jeff Beck glory days) are ruining the standards for everyone else. It's become a cop-out: Once you're too old to rock, you do the Cole Porter songbook. It helps to classify the standards as "old-people" music (recorded by old folks FOR old folks!).

Once you're too old to rock, you do the Cole Porter songbook. It helps to classify the standards as "old-people" music (recorded by old folks FOR old folks!).

Well, it pretty much is, isn't it? At least as "Popular Music" goes?

And as far as "timelessness" goes, once you remove the aura of nostalgia (or if you prefer, the telling of tales of a certain lifestyle/mindset that is becoming increasingly irrelevant), the number of "Great American Songbook" material that really holds up as "great music" shrinks to a relatively small quantity. The rest of it is, when you come right down to it, Pop Music of a different day. The craftsmanship of the melodies and lyrics is to be admired, no doubt, but somebody tell me why/how "Lady Be Good", to pick one at random, should be viewed as anything other than an artifact of a day and time long since passed.

Which is not to say that some great renditions have been offered, or that appreciation of these renditions and songs is inappropriate (appreciation is never inappropriate), but really, what the hell "meaning" does it have apart from its history? It's a pop song, period. Part of a legacy, sure, but what good is a legacy that survies on congratulating itself rather than evolving?

Let the hacks have it, and let the lemmings consume it. The sooner they all go over the cliff, the better. Since they're not part of the solution, they must be part of the problem. Or something like that...

Bolton is one of the greatest singers who ever lived. His contribution to music indirectly helped with the development of Autotune. HE vocally coached CHER for Christ sakes. Dont' you believe in.. Love After Love?What is wrong with you people????

:crazy:

The craftsmanship of the melodies and lyrics is to be admired, no doubt, but somebody tell me why/how "Lady Be Good", to pick one at random, should be viewed as anything other than an artifact of a day and time long since passed.

Because if you listen to it, followed immediately by "I Like Big Butts And I Cannot Lie," the decline and fall of pop music, and civilization, is undeniable.

Bolton Swings Sinatra CD

Michael Bolton Regular Price: $15.65

Sale Price: $13.29

Scheduled to release Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Place your order today and be one of the first to receive this product when it arrives.

1. You Go To My Head

2. Fly Me To The Moon

3. For Once In My Life

4. Summer Wind, The

5. My Funny Valentine

6. I've Got You Under My Skin

7. That's Life

8. 2nd Time Around, The - (featuring Nicollette Sheridan)

9. Girl From Ipanema

10. Night And Day

11. They Can't Take That Away From Me

12. New York, New York

Thank God for Concord Records.

Up over and out.

Boloton Defiles Sinatra is more like it.

I think Bolton's business manager looked a the multiplatinum sales of the Rod standards cds and said go forth and replicate.

That Rod thing went multiplatinum...?

now I am really depressed.

I think Bolton's business manager looked a the multiplatinum sales of the Rod standards cds and said go forth and replicate.

Not to send you over the edge but....... 30 million and counting for the series.

Not to send you over the edge but....... 30 million and counting for the series.

That's pretty sad.

The craftsmanship of the melodies and lyrics is to be admired, no doubt, but somebody tell me why/how "Lady Be Good", to pick one at random, should be viewed as anything other than an artifact of a day and time long since passed.

Because if you listen to it, followed immediately by "I Like Big Butts And I Cannot Lie," the decline and fall of pop music, and civilization, is undeniable.

Maybe, but if I listened to "Lady Be Good" followed immediately by some of Stevie Wonder's, Paul Simon's, Burt Bachrach's, Monday Michiru's, Joni Mitchell's, Brian Wilson's, et.als. better/best songs, I might come to the conclusion that the art/craft of popular songwriting has actually evolved significantly and positively.

Can't say that I'd say the same about society in general though.

"I've got chunks of guys like you in my stool!" -- Frank Sinatra to Michael Bolton, in response to this new CD.

90ksinatra1.jpg

Seriously, I can't see why anybody would buy this crap. Why not just go buy the real deal?

Something in our society doesn't encourage you to buy the real deal, or even give it a chance.

While I'm happy to report that I have not actually heard the Simon standards album, I did have the unenviable misfortune of stumbling across a live performance of same during a recent PBS fundraiser. To say that she was out of her element would be selling the inepitude of her performance short. Not only could she not get where she needed to get vocally, but it looked like she knew she couldn't. I know she is notoriously prone to state fright, but this went well beyond that. Very uncomfortable. Of course, the crowd of lemmings they rounded up to bear witness to this dreck dutifully applauded the two songs I was able to listen to before I bailed, but they were the only people in the room who missed the boat further than Ms. Simon. I don't know who sold her or her record company on this idea, but they should be made to find new work in another occupation.

Up over and out.