BFT#36 answers

tooter

Wow! After looking over that track list, I'm sorry I didn't participate! :blush:

Tooter, can I still get a copy? :winky:

Sure, Al. I thought you might be getting one from a US participant but then when no comment from you materialised.... Send me a PM as to where to send it. Pity, though, could have done with your input :(:D

Will be in the mail tomorrow, Al. How's that for service? :D Lucky I haven't yet deleted from hard drive.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! After looking over that track list, I'm sorry I didn't participate! :blush:

Tooter, can I still get a copy? :winky:

Sure, Al. I thought you might be getting one from a US participant but then when no comment from you materialised.... Send me a PM as to where to send it. Pity, though, could have done with your input :(:D

Will be in the mail tomorrow, Al. How's that for service? :D Lucky I haven't yet deleted from hard drive.

Lookin' forward to it! Will probably still post guesses, just for the heck of it. I don't remember any of these answers anyway! :g

Okay, Mike - hell of a job - dates of birth! This is only the list of baritone players for whom it is their primary instrument. Some gaps for dob's and even countries. 1928 was a popular year. If anyone can come up with more names, please supply all details. Some from my original list omitted - i.e, Jean Eteve who does not seem to be primarily a baritone player I now see.

*Primary baritone players

1. 1910 Harry Carney USA*

2. 1910 Jack Washington USA*

3. 1911 Chuck Gentry USA*

4. 1916 Charlie Fowlkes USA*

5. 1918 Bill Graham USA*

6. 1921 Jimmy Giuffre USA

7. 1922 Cecil Payne USA*

8. 1922 Danny Bank USA*

9. 1923 Serge Chaloff USA*

10. 1925 Leo Parker USA*

11. 1925 Sahib Shihab USA*

12. 1926 Sol Schlinger USA*

13. 1926 Michel de Villers France*

14. 1927 Gerry Mulligan USA*

15. 1928 Jack Nimitz USA*

16. 1928 Lars Gullin Sweden*

17. 1928 Harry Klein UK*

18. 1928 Bob Efford UK*

19. 1928 Gene Allen USA*

20. 1928 Bob Gordon USA*

21. 1928 Pee Wee Moore USA*

22. 1929 Joe Temperley UK*

23. 1929 Pat Patrick USA*

24. 1930 Pepper Adams USA*

25. 1930 Bill Hood*

26. 1931 Gil Melle USA*

27. 1933 Ronnie Ross UK*

28. 1933 Charles Davis USA*

29. 1936 Nick Brignola USA*

30. 1940 Hamiet Bluitt USA*

31. 1941 Ronnie Cuber USA*

32. 1944 John Surman UK*

33. 1945 Gunnar Bergsten Sweden*

34. 1950 Jim Hartog USA*

35. 1956 Gary Smulyan USA*

36. Circa1966 Claire Daly USA*

37. ? Bob Gioga USA*

38. ? Tate Houston USA*

39. ? Jack Sharpe UK*

40. ? Roger Rosenberg ?*

41. ? Trevor Koehler USA*

42. ? Eddie de Verteuil USA*

43. ? Sayyd Abdul Al-Khabyy ?*

Edited by tooter

Okay, Mike - hell of a job - dates of birth! This is only the list of baritone players for whom it is their primary instrument. Some gaps for dob's and even countries. 1928 was a popular year. If anyone can come up with more names, please supply all details. Some from my original list omitted - i.e, Jean Eteve who does not seem to be primarily a baritone player I now see.

1931 Gil Melle USA

1926 Sol Schlinger USA

1922 Danny Bank USA

1931 Gil Melle USA

1926 Sol Schlinger USA

1922 Danny Bank USA

Why did I miss all of these???? :crazy:

???? - Eddie de Verteuil (USA)

???? - Chuck Gentry (USA)

1924 - Bill Perkins (USA)

1926 - Michel de Villers (France)

Yes, good additons to the list, brownie, but if we are including only primary instrument baritone players, would you say Perk should be there? I would have thought tenor his main instrument. But I will put him in pending further guidance!

Yes, good additons to the list, brownie, but if we are including only primary instrument baritone players, would you say Perk should be there? I would have thought tenor his main instrument. But I will put him in pending further guidance!

Perkins played baritone on a number of albums but, yes, his main instrument was tenor.

Now that I see what you had cooked for your BFT meal, I feel sorry at having stayed out. Looks like a mighty fine compilation :tup

1910 Jack Washington USA

1928 Gene Allen USA

Gene Allen already there, Jack, but Jack Washington is a new name to me. Must look him up. One of the earliest?

He was with Basie 1936-43 and rarely had an opportunity to solo, with Pres and Hershel in the band .....

1910 Jack Washington USA

1928 Gene Allen USA

Gene Allen already there, Jack, but Jack Washington is a new name to me. Must look him up. One of the earliest?

He was with Basie 1936-43 and rarely had an opportunity to solo, with Pres and Hershel in the band .....

I added Gene Allen because you didn't have a year of birth for him. Jack Washington rejoined Basie after the war, 1946-49. Has a nice feature piece "Lopin'" rec. 5/21/47 for RCA Victor.

Perkins played baritone on a number of albums but, yes, his main instrument was tenor.

Now that I see what you had cooked for your BFT meal, I feel sorry at having stayed out. Looks like a mighty fine compilation :tup

Okay, I'll strike him from the list then. I wonder if multi-instrumentalists themselves would agree always with our assessments of what is their primary. Perk is perhaps clear enough but how about, say, Marty Erlich? Does he qualify as a primary baritone man? And Jimmy Giuffre? Tenor again? Or clarinet?

Thanks for your remarks about BFT#36, brownie. Expect a PM on this subject!

1910 Jack Washington USA

1928 Gene Allen USA

There was mention before here of Charlie Fowlkes and whether he soloed with Basie. I don't think the answer to that question has emerged, has it? He would have been playing alongside the two Franks?

1910 Jack Washington USA

1928 Gene Allen USA

I added Gene Allen because you didn't have a year of birth for him. Jack Washington rejoined Basie after the war, 1946-49. Has a nice feature piece "Lopin'" rec. 5/21/47 for RCA Victor.

I beg your pardon! I missed the birth year. Will correct the list now.

Nice site!

Concerning doubling baritone players: I think they all made important contributions, because they always took it very serious whenever they picked it up, so I think they should be included in the list. But primary baritonists should be marked with an * or so. It would be strange to omit players of the caliber of Giuffre or Perkins from the list.

Yesterday I listened to a record where Pete Christlieb played a very nice baritone solo! Would have been a great BFT item!

Two more primary baritonists that just came to my mind:

Bill Graham (with Gillespie in the early 1950's)

Pee Wee Moore (with James Moody and with Gillespie's 1950's big band)

And what was the name of the guy who played in the Gillespie movie from the Cuban tour?

Edited by mikeweil

Nice site!

Concerning doubling baritone players: I think they all made important contributions, because they always took it very serious whenever they picked it up, so I think they should be included in the list. But primary baritonists should be marked with an * or so. It would be strange to omit players of the caliber of Giuffre or Perkins from the list.

Yesterday I listened to a record where Pete Christlieb played a very nice baritone solo! Would have been a great BFT item!

Well, okay, but only those who made a real impact or the list could become kilometres long.