Jazz Cameos Revisited

after comming across this posting, i was obiligated to sign up simply to post:

why hasnt anyone mentioned Mr. Barney Kessel?

he not only made many jazz lps for my favorite record label, but also recorded with Elvis on all his early RCA sides, such as love me tender; with Brian Wilson & The Beach Boys on their Pets sounds lp and during the legendary Smile sessions; he also was THE key elment to phil spectors wall of sound- playing on most of the Phillies label hits (as well as the more jazz orientied b-sides)- Phil even once said: "no barney, no phil"!!

No, no, its "no gun, no jail!"

:P

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron Carter plays bass on A Tribe Called Quest's 'Verses From the Abstract' (from the album The Low End Theory)

and speaking of Cameo, I always enjoyed Michael Brecker's playing on their Word Up album. While Brecker's been on countless pop sessions, he seemed to get given a lot of space on that one.

Chris Spedding was featured on early albums by David Essex :huh:

Yeah, check those old Jack Bruce albums, especially "Songs for a Tailor" and "Things We Like"--Bruce was all over the British jazz scene, Spedding included. John Marshall is bad.

More Spedding (with associated British jazzers) can be found on the two original Battered Ornaments albums--good stuff.

Chick Corea on Warren Zevon's "Long Arm of the Law" on his album Transverse City.

Al McKibbon and Red Callender played bass on some of the first few Randy Newman records.

Michael Cuscuna produced Bonnie Raitt's first album, Dave Holland played bass on the second.

Wasn't Oliver Lake on Bjork's Debut?

Guest akanalog

marion brown on harold budd's "the pavillion of dreams"?

does deadline's "down by law" count as jazz or what? that has a few people on it like jaco and philip wilson and someone else...

How about Sting's first post-Police band with Branford Marsalis, Kenny Kirkland, Darrel Jones and Omar Hakim?

Also, thinking of Brecker on Cameo "Word Up" reminded me:

Late '80s my ex-wife had a Jane Fonda workout video and all of the music for was by Steps Ahead with Mike Manieri, Michael Brecker, Peter Erskine, etc.

Which reminds me of this OT bit:

At a clinic for some students, Michael Brecker was asked about being in the Saturday Night Live band (mid-'80s). He said that he's basically a very shy and reserved person, and that in his life there are two things that make him uncomfortable: dancing, and being in a bathing suit at the beach. His first week on SNL Eddie Murphy did the James Brown Hot Tub sketch, so Brecker had to dance in a bathing suit on national TV! Yikes!

Edited by DukeCity

How about Sting's first post-Police band with Branford Marsalis, Kenny Kirkland, Darrel Jones and Omar Hakim?

Also, thinking of Brecker on Cameo "Word Up" reminded me:

Late '80s my ex-wife had a Jane Fonda workout video and all of the music for was by Steps Ahead with Mike Manieri, Michael Brecker, Peter Erskine, etc.

Which reminds me of this OT bit:

At a clinic for some students, Michael Brecker was asked about being in the Saturday Night Live band (mid-'80s). He said that he's basically a very shy and reserved person, and that in his life there are two things that make him uncomfortable: dancing, and being in a bathing suit at the beach. His first week on SNL Eddie Murphy did the James Brown Hot Tub sketch, so Brecker had to dance in a bathing suit on national TV! Yikes!

Here's the hottub sketch. I think Brecker is on the far right side of the screen...

actually, those pop Kessel's don't count as Cameos - he was part of the group of session guys - they were regulars, the equivalent of pop character actors - a whole different thing - a cameo is a brief appearence, in and out - so a lot of this stuff also doesn't qualify -

Edited by AllenLowe

I remember a couple of years back a friend of mine playing a David Sylvian (ex of 80s New Romantic band Japan) album when my ears were drawn to some beautiful trumpet playing.

Unmistakably Kenny Wheeler.

Don't remember the name of the Sylvian album.

Kenny's on Brilliant Trees and maybe 2 follow ups (Gone to Earth, Secrets of the Beehive?) David Sylvian's latest features Derek Bailey...

Oh and Tony Williams on PiL