Nessa Records

sheldonm

...I came across an LP of Lester Bowie's Volumes 1 & 2 on Nessa Records today. Cover is near mint as is the LP. The guy wants about $30.00 for this....is it worth it, is he trying to take me for a ride??? I'm not really an LP collector but I have a fair amount of vinyl.....any thoughts???

Mark~

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I came across an LP of Lester Bowie's Volumes 1 & 2 on Nessa Records today. Cover is near mint as is the LP. The guy wants about $30.00 for this....is it worth it, is he trying to take me for a ride??? I'm not really an LP collector but I have a fair amount of vinyl.....any thoughts???

Mark~

It is a classic (thank you, Chuck), but $30.00 seems a little steep, even if it's a first pressing. I usually sell these for $10-15.

FWIW the original was green on the top (not white) and there was no spine copy on the first 2000. There was also a typo on the back listing the bass player as one Malacki Favors. The address 5875 North Glenwood, Chicago. Lables are orange and rose. Don't know shit about prices but that's the info for an original.

Guest akanalog

here in new york where prices are generally high, nesso records i have seen go for between $15-$25 in nice condition (LPs such as bobby bradford and SME and AECs people in sorrow)

here in new york where prices are generally high, nesso records i have seen go for between $15-$25 in nice condition (LPs such as bobby bradford and SME and AECs people in sorrow)

Anyone can buy the first volume of Bradford/Stevens from me - it's still in print. There are thousands of People in Sorrow out there.

I've been offered $750 for my remaining Bowie original and 500 for one from the next printing. I sold about 10 People in Sorrow and another 10 Les Stances a Sophie test pressings for $25 a piece to a dealer in the EU. Roscoe Mitchell's Nonaah (my current reissue project) seems to be going (outside the US I must say) for $700.

On a related note and perhaps for help in gauging market value for Nessa LPs, Reckless Records in Chicago has a used copy of Mitchell's L-R-G/The Maze/S II Examples (2 LPs) described as in "Near Mint Condition" for $49.99.

Hey Mark: Don't you already have the AEC 67/68 box? Cuz this music is on there...

No, it's not. It's on CD on Chief, issued in 1989. Don't know it that's still available.

In any case, it's about as important as music gets.

Well, I apologize if I'm wrong. I had a hunch it might be, and then I checked the entry here: Nos 1 & 2

But you're sure, huh?

Chuck?

Edited by Parkertown

On a related note and perhaps for help in gauging market value for Nessa LPs, Reckless Records in Chicago has a used copy of Mitchell's L-R-G/The Maze/S II Examples (2 LPs) described as in "Near Mint Condition" for $49.99.

They've had that thing on the wall since I moved to Chicago, in 2001!

I got my green-top (Madison address) Bowie for $12 in 1998.

$700 for 1977 Roscoe with his leg across a metal table, heal pressed off the foreground right at you, arms folded across jeans jacket, stocking hat atop Mona Lisa face in front of a masonry wall? $700 to be taunted by "Nonaah" (No-nay-ah), which pushes the audience to deal with reiteration as unapologetically as possible, an aggravating summation of tension and release based on expectations and his refusal of them. What happens after that resolves is the music. "Nonaah" arrives by albums end in an alto saxophone quartet featuring Mitchell, Jarman, Wallace McMillan and Henry Threadgill. What an adventure this album is. Mitchell's varied organizing methods are captured in a series of different instrumental combinations. Safe to say the thrust of the album keys off of the 22 minute solo saxophone improvisation on side one, yet there are more solos, and they are tough. "Improvisation 1" is as hard core as Braxton's "For Alto."

This might be all mush, a mish mash of misremembering Terri Martin's notes, but I hope not. If you have a minute please straighten this out Ness.

For years it's been an amazing adventure to check in with Chuck while he's revisiting such a project. Here's hoping he can share some of his thoughts on the music and memories about the time that are reawakened by "Off Five Dark Six" or the timely "Tahquamenon" with the recently reassembled trio of Mitchell, George Lewis, and Muhal -- the whole of "Nonaah."

Edited by Lazaro Vega

Does anyone have a complete listing of Nessa releases? These are the ones that I have.

Nessa 2 Roscoe Mitchell Art Ensemble--Congliptious

Nessa 4 Art Ensemble of Chicago--Les Stances a Sophie

Nessa 5 Roscoe Mitchell Old Quartet

Nessa 9/10 Roscoe Mitchell--Nonaah

Nessa 14/15 Roscoe Mitchell--L R G/ The Maze/ S II Examples

Guest akanalog

this is a good time to give chuck respect for "keeping it real".

he ran a label that is universally acknowledged as being a top-notch outfit.

he is respected by listeners and musicians alike.

people value and enjoy and respect the music nessa put out very highly.

kudos to you, chuck.

this is a good time to give chuck respect for "keeping it real".

he ran a label that is universally acknowledged as being a top-notch outfit.

he is respected by listeners and musicians alike.

people value and enjoy and respect the music nessa put out very highly.

kudos to you, chuck.

Nice thoughts but this is a bit unsettling. I should also point out there are/were a couple of musicians "not so happy". :)

Thanks.