Rarest (most expensive?) CDs

garthsj

This is not meant to be a bragging statement, in fact it is probably a cry for help in the dark, but I just paid the highest price I have ever shelled out for a single CD. I am a very big Lars Gullin fan, so I just purchased the rare reissue album "FINE TOGETHER: THE ARTISTRY OF LARS GULLIN" (Universal 986566-7), which according to the Lars Gullin webpage was a limited edtion. I paid $39.44 (incl. postage). I am feeling rather guilty ....

SO ... my question is: Now that CDs have been around for nearly twenty years, what are considered to be the rarest CDs (jazz or otherwise), and how much would YOU pay for your most wanted item?

An interesting question... has it come up here before, though?

I used to think of a lot of my imported jazz CD's as being rare and hard to replace, but a lot of them have seen repeated reissue (TOCJ's, Columbia stuff out of Europe, MPS titles, etc etc). Maybe the Lim. Ed. OJC's are the most likely to increase in value?! ^_^ Anyway, I'll have to see if anything pops into my head in terms of jazz discs...

On the other hand, I've got a lot of brazilian CD's that would be difficult or impossible to replace now. Ironically, what I think of as the "Kind Of Blue" of modern Brazilian music ("The Legendary Joao Gilberto", released domestically on World Pacific) has been oop for over a decade due to a conflict between J.G. and EMI. Imagine if Miles had kept KOB oop... :huh:

Of course, the value of a rare CD will also depend upon the demand for it, and I'll admit that some of my rarest discs (jazz or brazilian) will never be in great demand. So, the degree to which we cherish a disc may have nothing to do with monetary value. Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go listen to that Louis Stewart/Bill Charlap disc I got from Ireland...

I paid $74 for an OOP Marty Balin CD called "Balinese". $50 each for the two James Newton Blue Notes, "African Flower" and "Romance and Revolution." I also put down a pretty penny for "West Coast Hot" featuring the the John Carter and Bobby Bradford Quartet and the Horace Tapscott Qunitet.

Up over and out.

I saw Michael Franks when he was touring to promote his second Reprise album.

Not too many years later, I saw in the store an Australian LP which apparently was taken from the tour. It was never released in the US. I didn't pick it up, and mildly regretted not doing so for years.

Last December I picked up the Australian CD of that album from Amazon for $25 as I recall. It still has never been issued on a US label to my knowledge.

I've been trying to get the Rhino Handmade compilation of Percy Mayfield's Atlantic and Tangerine recordings. It only came out in January 2004 and seems to have been deleted within about a year. Currently, you can get it from Amazon US partners for $85 And You can get it from Amazon UK partners for 122 GBpounds - this is a single CD!

I'm NOT paying that much, not even for Percy Mayfield. Someone at Rhino SERIOUSLY misjudged the market.

MG

If you go to GEMM, use the more elaborate search tool and check the respective price range you will get plenty of used CDs over $ 50 - some of these are really rare, but I'm patient .....

The Percy Mayfield is $157 on GEMM. Not as much as the Amazon UK, but twice as much as Amazon US.

MG

If you go to GEMM, use the more elaborate search tool and check the respective price range you will get plenty of used CDs over $ 50 - some of these are really rare, but I'm patient .....

Thanks for this interesting suggestion. I have used GEMM with mixed success*, but I have never tried this search function. I searched for jazz CDs over $40, and it disclosed a suprising list, with most of the "rare" CDs being on small, often bootleg labels. I could not help but notice a series of Jaco Pastorious albums on European labels going for high price ... and WOW! ... some of those Kenton bootlegs (which I actually own) are going for over $100! Never count out those rabid Kenton fans ...

*I get about a 60% rate of order filling. I often wonder why sellers list items that they clearly do not have!

Edited by garthsj

I would not pay more than $20 for a single CD! Vinyl is another matter...

Most valuable CD I have might be the rare Japanese double CD 'Blues for Aida' by Steve Lacy. Lacy signed the inside liner notes.

I've paid $20-25 per disc for bootleg cds back in the day but I agree, the twenty dollar range is tops for me. Vinyl is another matter

I've been trying to get the Rhino Handmade compilation of Percy Mayfield's Atlantic and Tangerine recordings. It only came out in January 2004 and seems to have been deleted within about a year. Currently, you can get it from Amazon US partners for $85 And You can get it from Amazon UK partners for 122 GBpounds - this is a single CD!

I'm NOT paying that much, not even for Percy Mayfield. Someone at Rhino SERIOUSLY misjudged the market.

MG

Not only did they misjudge the market, but the relatively large number of copies they supplied to Spin in Newcastle, UK, had the wrong cds , And as a limited edition! Spin never received replacements, and so I never received my pre ordered copy.

MG

Not only did they misjudge the market, but the relatively large number of copies they supplied to Spin in Newcastle, UK, had the wrong cds , And as a limited edition! Spin never received replacements, and so I never received my pre ordered copy.

I bought this cd directly from Rhino when it came out. Didn't find it suited my tastes, and I sold it on this board. I think Bright Moments bought it from me, but I don't exactly remember. Sold it for like $18 or so. Looks like I could have held on to it longer for more $$$; but it works both ways. I've bought stuff cheap here too. So sell cheap; buy cheap. It all evens out.

I tried to remember: I think the highest price so far was some € 40 for a Japanese reissue of a rare Tamba 4 on A&M - there is a handful for which I'd be willing to pay that much, only a smal handful. Otherwise, € 20 is the limit, less is preferred.

MG

I bought this cd directly from Rhino when it came out. Didn't find it suited my tastes, and I sold it on this board. I think Bright Moments bought it from me, but I don't exactly remember. Sold it for like $18 or so. Looks like I could have held on to it longer for more $$$; but it works both ways. I've bought stuff cheap here too. So sell cheap; buy cheap. It all evens out.

Well, if anyone wants to sell me the Parcy Mayfield cheap, I'll buy it. :D

MG

I paid $74 for an OOP Marty Balin CD called "Balinese". $50 each for the two James Newton Blue Notes, "African Flower" and "Romance and Revolution." I also put down a pretty penny for "West Coast Hot" featuring the the John Carter and Bobby Bradford Quartet and the Horace Tapscott Qunitet.

Up over and out.

Is "African Flower" hard to find? I bought a used copy in a local store recently for around $6.

Up over and out.

Is "African Flower" hard to find? I bought a used copy in a local store recently for around $6.

Come come, young sir; surely nothing can be hard to find in Japan. I found the riches of the Japanese second hand record dealers - especially the Disc Union shops - to be nothing short of AMAZING.

MG

Up over and out.

Come come, young sir; surely nothing can be hard to find in Japan. I found the riches of the Japanese second hand record dealers - especially the Disc Union shops - to be nothing short of AMAZING.

MG

True MG, there are worse places for a music lover to live than Tokyo. And yes, the various Disk Unions have a great used CD selection, often at very reasonable prices. I spend way too much time browsing there.

I have never seen a TOCJ of "African Flower" though and it was the US version I found (strangely enough in a local shop with very little jazz).

Up over and out.

MG

True MG, there are worse places for a music lover to live than Tokyo. And yes, the various Disk Unions have a great used CD selection, often at very reasonable prices. I spend way too much time browsing there.

I have never seen a TOCJ of "African Flower" though and it was the US version I found (strangely enough in a local shop with very little jazz).

Tokyo is fine for music lovers, providing one has an almost unlimited supply of cash, and space to store the acquisitions. The latter is a BIG problem in Japan, as you know.

MG