A. Hill: PAX

Why so few mentions of Joe Chambers on these sides? He was a MF at this time, his prime.

I agree completely. The Hill/Davis/Chambers trio was every bit as unpredictable/stimulating as the more "recognized" Byard/Davis/Dawson trio. And that's why I like ANDREW!!! so much - Gilmore gets right in there with them and mixes it up so nicely.

Pax is good. I've got to admit, I like it more than Point of Departure.

Me too, probably. Don't get me wrong, I do really like Point of Departure. But in some ways, I think PoD is a tiny bit overrated (and I think "Blue Train" is way overrated). So often PoD is thought of as THE Andrew Hill album to get (like how for a long time it was the only Hill date released on CD, and it was one of the very first Hill RVG's, etc...). But I think "Black Fire" ought to hold that title.

Good call! Black Fire has long been my favorite Hill album (but I don't have them all.)

1)ANDREW!!!...REALLY?/I/STILL/HAVE/VINYL/I/WAS/EFFIN/ECSTATIC

TO/FIND/AT/WUXTRY/RECORDS/IN/DECATUR/GA/1994...

I/WILL/SPIN/AGAIN/THIS/EVENING

WITH/A/BOTTLE/DEWARS/WHITE/LABEL

&/TITANIA/BY/MY/SIDE

MAYBE/I/WAS/EXPECTING/JOHN/TO/MAKE/IT/JOHN...

OR/AT/LEAST/GET/ME/A/NEW/KEYBOARD!

I was luck enough to find it ca. 1972 at the Longview, Tx Treaure City as part of the great Libety/UA/whoever catalog purge of a few years earlier, and have lived with this badboy ever since. It doesn't necessarily immediately jump out at you, but trust me - there's some serious skippin', dippin', bumpin', & humpin' going on with the collective rhythms on this one, not the least because of Gilmore.

Why so few mentions of Joe Chambers on these sides? He was a MF at this time, his prime.

I agree completely. The Hill/Davis/Chambers trio was every bit as unpredictable/stimulating as the more "recognized" Byard/Davis/Dawson trio. And that's why I like ANDREW!!! so much - Gilmore gets right in there with them and mixes it up so nicely.

You have more respect for the Byard/Davis/Dawson trio than I do. No "dis" to them, just think the Hill/Davis/Chambers combo was on another level.

Pax is good. I've got to admit, I like it more than Point of Departure.

Me too, probably. Don't get me wrong, I do really like Point of Departure. But in some ways, I think PoD is a tiny bit overrated (and I think "Blue Train" is way overrated). So often PoD is thought of as THE Andrew Hill album to get (like how for a long time it was the only Hill date released on CD, and it was one of the very first Hill RVG's, etc...). But I think "Black Fire" ought to hold that title.

I love POD and I love Andrew, but I tend to go back to Judgment the most.

As per the rhythm section discussion right above me... I love Alan Dawson, but the Byard/Davis combo really cooked with Elvin at the drums (Rip, Rig, and Panic is a corker).

Edited by ep1str0phy

As one who has never found his way fully into Hill's music, this description has me intrigued (of all of his BNs I've kept Grass Roots, Black Fire and one trio session from the Mosaic). If Grass Roots was his most accessible, is Pax undoubtedly second most accessible?

No. Black Fire and Judgment are both more accessible, as are several Andrew albums from the late 60s.

Guy

As one who has never found his way fully into Hill's music, this description has me intrigued (of all of his BNs I've kept Grass Roots, Black Fire and one trio session from the Mosaic). If Grass Roots was his most accessible, is Pax undoubtedly second most accessible?

No. Black Fire and Judgment are both more accessible, as are several Andrew albums from the late 60s.

Guy

Black Fire maybe, but Judgment is very explosive in an explicitly avant way. The lack of horns on the latter session obscures the already oblique group textures and complicated compositions/forms. Among the more striking elements of the album is the sheer metrical complexity created by the ensemble interactions (we're talking Hill, early Hutch, Richard Davis and Elvin freakin Jones, for cryin out loud)--It's dizzying, dizzying stuff, and perfectly suited to Andrew's darker, denser side.

Guy

Black Fire maybe, but Judgment is very explosive in an explicitly avant way. The lack of horns on the latter session obscures the already oblique group textures and complicated compositions/forms. Among the more striking elements of the album is the sheer metrical complexity created by the ensemble interactions (we're talking Hill, early Hutch, Richard Davis and Elvin freakin Jones, for cryin out loud)--It's dizzying, dizzying stuff, and perfectly suited to Andrew's darker, denser side.

Maybe, but the playing on Pax is more outside.

Guy

You have more respect for the Byard/Davis/Dawson trio than I do. No "dis" to them, just think the Hill/Davis/Chambers combo was on another level.

I'm gonna have to think about this one.

In Euro-Jazz terms, it would be like comparing Schlippenbach/Neibergall/Liebezeit and Mengelberg/Altena/Bennink, so they're not all that comparable...

That's a surface comparison, but it works from this end!

I'm not a huge fan of Andrew!!!, probably for reasons similar to Clem, but I should pull it out again. My LP is actually mildly ratty-sounding, which could have an effect on my fondness for what's WITHIN the grooves. Haven't listened to the "Pax" session (I have it on the Hill 2fer LP) in a number of years, and wasn't fazed much by it back then either.

Chewy still needs to get Passing Ships.

Yep. And since he's in the mood for more accessible Hill, he should get Dance with Death, too.

(in the long run, I agree with sal...)

For the most accesible Hill on record (probably), go with Shades (on Soul Note). It's got Clifford Jordan on it and it's a generally straight hard bop/post bop corker.

Guest akanalog

Everybody should just go out and get all the Andrew Hill albums. They are all good.

i like finding which albums of a particular artist i like the most.

i used to want to own all the albums by a particular artist (especially blue note people) but then found it more satisfying to identify which albums in particular really moved me every time i heard them.

it's probably a good thing to "hear" all the hill albums, but i don't think anyone needs to own all of them (or at least spend all that $$$) unless they are an obsessive completist.

surely everyone will find particular albums they enjoy more than others and probably particular albums they can do without in each artists discography.