The Complete OKeh & Brunswick Bix Beiderbecke, Frank Trumbauer &am

Adam

I've just done searches on several of the terms, and found no thread dedicated to this set. That seems odd.

I don't have it, and I know that most of the material is supposed to be classic.

Opinions on it, as I weigh purchsing it for the sale? Thanks!

Are you familiar with Bix, Tram and Tea? If you're a fan of this style of music, you may have a lot of the material elsewhere . . . and though it sounds great here and there's a great booklet you may not feel justified buying it again. (I did, and I'm sort of glad I have, but I haven't spent a lot of time with the box set, I've mostly played the individual cds I had for some time instead).

If you don't have this material, and can "handle" the sonic aspects of early jazz and what some perceive as "not as sophisticated as modern jazz" swing and vocal styles (some people can really put down the early recodings and just not get in to them) then this is a really interesting box. A great group of recordings, well presented.

Pretty much what Lon said, but I'd maybe put a little more emphasis on the quality of the sound here. If you don't have any of the previous issues this is a good place to dive in.

For the material and "theme" presented here if you wanted to go further You could go to the "Complete" Bix set if it's still available and the various Jazz Oracles under Jack Teagarden's name. All quality reissues with great sound by JRT Davies.

The only thing I've got against the otherwise excellent Mosaic set are the (to my ears) horrid "sweet" vocals, that were so popular back in the day.

The sound is OK. For those interested, these people were involved:

audio restoration: Doug Pomeroy

disc & tape transfers: Doug Pomeroy, Andreas Meyer, John R.T. Davies, Jack Towers

mastered by Doug Pomeroy

Edited by J.A.W.

This collection really opened my ears to the beauty of Bix's playing which is nothing short of stunning. His solos are so logical and melodic.

The sound restoration by Pomeroy is very very good.

I was hesitant about buying this collection a few years ago but I'm glad I did. In fact I bought this and the Venuti / Lang at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend if you can find it the two cd Bix entry in the RCA "Jazz Tribune" series. . . a French started series of two cd sets of reissues, many of which were also released in the U. S. I like the Bix entry in the series, it's a fair overview, and it shouldn't be too hard to find. Sound is good.

I ordered the set last night (along with the Stitt)!

A few years ago I found a used JSP 4 disc Bix & Tram set for under $20. I think the sound on that is very good (done by J.R.T. Davies btw.) In fact it is good enough that I've put off ordering the Mosaic. But the inclusion of Teagarden, more music, the booklet and hope of even better sound pushed me to click the order button. :)

Are there any single or double CD sets of Bix that have comparable sound quality to the Mosaic? I'd like to have some Bix in my collection, but I'm not sure I want to go the Mosaic route on this one

This may be a good one for you

B000056EV0.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is a 2-CD reissue (by Sony UK, methinks) with the same tracks as the two old "Columbia Jazz Masterpieces" CDs (Singin' The Blues and At the Jazz Band Ball).

Does anyone know which one has the better sound quality?

F

The only reissues that compare favorably to the sonics of the Mosaic (I've heard just about all of the offical Columbia & RCA reissues) are the J.R.T. Davies JSP set (although he was reportedly unhappy because they used older masters of his, but I think they sound very good). The price is certainly right. If you want the Victor stuff (with All of the known alternate takes) Davies also did 4 volumes (3cds each) of a series called Bix Revisited. They are full priced, duplicate much of the Mosaic set, but also include the best tranfers (by far) of the his earliest acoustic material. The Victor stuff has way more sonic impact compared to those French RCA transfers that Jazzbo mentions, but there are LOTS of alternates of the Goldkette stuff, which as much as I appreciate, I don't really need 3 takes of some of these cuts. I stumbled upon the 1st volume of this series, was floored by the sound on the Gennett sides, and ended up getting the lot of them, despite having recently purchased the Mosaic set......which remains essential for some of the non-Bix stuff and the fantastic notes and pics. Sony's elderely 2 cds (not sure if that's what the 2cd SET consists of) have been thoroughly outclassed by all of these, with JSP being the best bang for the buck if you don't want to go broke and/or insane with the choice of the other 2 sets/series.

I agree, the "Bix Restored" series on Origin Jazz is really the way to go for Bix, the complete story. . . . I've had to have the complete story. . .but not everyone does.

But the sound (Davies masters with some eq from Michael Keiffer) is excellent!

• 4 years later...