Why no individual CD issue of OM?

David Ayers

Finding more than 200 customers is the problem.

only 200? What's the problem?

The number was a joke but in reality few are waiting for this and the cd might generate an unusual amount of returned cds. It is primarily interesting as a Coltrane "curio" for late Trane collectors and "regular" Trane collectors will feel let down.

Om was the first Coltrane recording I ever listened to, because that's what was available that day at the public library. Om and the Village Vanguard Again album. I guess the more conventional gems were already checked out/stolen. Om was just too weird for this 8th grader. As a result, didn't listen to any Coltrane-led dates for many years thereafter. Probably not until Blue Train and My Favorite Things in college. This may have been the initial catlayst for my continuing (though now receding a bit) aversion to late period Coltrane.

The 1998 Japanese MVC disk is still in print. There was no 24 bit issue in Japan (in fact IIRC there was no 24 bit Interstellar Space either).

I suppose I just wonder why, if Ascension and Kulu Se Mama (the other inclusions on Major Works) could be reissued and kept in print, as well as other late Trane, and even the release of Olatunji concert, as well as endless spiritual romps from Alice and Pharaoh (of which Om is a precursor) I just wonder why the line stops at Om.

I just wonder why the line stops at Om.

I wonder either.

I also liked to know why OM should has stay "in the can".

As far as I know, nobody has ever been obliged to listen to it.

Not a favorite, but a record that you can't ignore if you like late COLTRANE (and I've listen since to MUCH "unlistenable" music than OM.)

Edited by P.L.M

The line really stops at the Cosmic Music material. At least Om has had some form of American CD issue...

Indeed, I wonder how long it'll take them to release this stuff (hopefully in unedited, un-overdubbed form).
Don't have it handy now, but I seem to remember that the American version released it

with two tracks (sides 1 and 2) :wacko: Am I remembering this correctly?

Patrick's comment about being an 8th grader - I remember this time well when a classmate named Scott

borrowed Om and Kulu Se Mama from me and I had a hell of a time getting it back from him.

I suppose it just goes to show that Om may just be a love it/hate it recording.

Edited by rostasi