Andre 3000 of OutKast to "rework" Kind Of Blue

trane_fanatic

I'm a OutKast and hip-hop fan in general, but this is redeckuless...

http://xxlmag.com/online/?p=3960#comment-88709

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“[Andre ‘3000′] Benjamin is also currently working on a new jazz project tenatively titled “Kind of Black: Benjamin on Davis” in which he reworks the classic 1959 work “Kind of Blue” by Miles Davis. Benjamin is to be joined on the project by two Grammy-winners: Acclaimed trumpeter Wynton Marsalis and popular Roots drummer/producer Ahmir “?uestlove” Thompson.” - USA Today

If Andre’s past reverence for jazz classics is any indication, this will surely make Doo-Bop sound like Illmatic.

And Wynton must be real hard up for cash to be collaborating with those oh so ignorant rap types.

To the contrary, I would bet that Miles would totally DIG it. He never liked to look back at his old stuff and was always trying to stay contemporary.

Andre's Prince imitations on The Love Below were awful and their new Idlewild soundtrack is pretty lame stuff too. I just don't know that Miles would want a pale imitation of one of his masterpeices especially with his old buddy Wynton :P on them.

To the contrary, I would bet that Miles would totally DIG it. He never liked to look back at his old stuff and was always trying to stay contemporary.

Andre's Prince imitations on The Love Below were awful and their new Idlewild soundtrack is pretty lame stuff too. I just don't know that Miles would want a pale imitation of one of his masterpeices especially with his old buddy Wynton :P on them.

I loved "The Love Below" and I'm really looking forward to the "Idlewild" soundtrack. The thing that interests me is that ?uestlove is involved in this project. That man has some of the best ears in music today. I can't imagine that any project he's involved with would be anything less than good.

i am even quite certain that he will like the 3000 Kind of Blue much much better than I will :g

If reworking those old recordings isn't "looking back at his old stuff" then what is?

Why do jazz musicians keep revisting the standards?

That's what they're trained to do. :winky:

I have no idea what they have in mind with a "rework", which is apparently different than a remix. Wynton strikes me as the odd duck in this scenario. Are we going to be hearing his trumpet next to Miles'?

Why don't they just do something new together?

Why does Hollywood keep re-making old TV shows and Movies?

This isn't quite the same as playing any old standard. This is about reworking one of the most revered albums of all time. Expectations are a bit higher.

Guy

There has already been one album in which hip hop artists took old Miles Davis albums and reworked them:

Panthalassa: The Remixes

panthalassa.jpeg

Several of the efforts on that album sounded nothing like the Miles Davis albums that they were working with. Some of them, to my ears anyway, were electronic sound effects with the Miles Davis album barely audible at times, far in the background.

I wonder if this new effort will be any more interesting.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Why don't they just do something new together?

Why does Hollywood keep re-making old TV shows and Movies?

This isn't quite the same as playing any old standard. This is about reworking one of the most revered albums of all time. Expectations are a bit higher.

Guy

My thoughts exactly. OutKast put out four classic hip-hop albums and, unfortunately, have been media darlings ever since for experimenting with stuff they would have been better off leaving alone. If some newbies had released overpraised garbage like "Speakerboxx/The Love Below", they would have been luck to sell 100 copies.

Edited by trane_fanatic

I thought the love below was absolutely brilliant, and Questlove is an absolute monster. I can't imagine anyone thinking The Love Below is overrated or mediocre, let alone poor.

As a few others have stated, its Wynton who is the odd man out here. I guess he could probably ape Miles pretty well, but he certainly doesnt match Miles attitude at all.

if bud and chet can do an album MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR, than andre 3000 can make kind of black. frankly that albums needs some change after so long. its not coltranes best, its not miles best (...that would be belgrade, yugoslavia, fall of 1971). trust me andres no idiot he knows a lot about production and it'll be ok. its gonna be a lot better than godamn us3.