eddie gale

mike casinghino

Hi Mike! Hope you are doing well.

Sorry to say no I have no information to offer about these releases. I do have the French Blue Note version on cd of "Black Rhythm Happening" and really like it (with the one caveat that the liners are really hard to read).

i'm fine, hope you are doing well also. i have the french release.

i sent an e-mail to the eddie gale website in april. i received a reply from georgette gale( eddie was in new york at the time), saying that the recordings would be released, and that they did not know at that point if they would be available from the website.

i'm just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this label ? is it foreign or domestic?

Edited by mike casinghino

Mike, I just got a copy (two actually) of the Byard Lancaster release on Water, and it is a San Francisco company that seems to be leasing "outside" recordings of a jazz nature not of interest to the majors.

The Lancaster sounds FANTASTIC and is a very nice session. They give good notes, and I'm not sure if they've used the original cover art as I have never seen the original cover. If they can make a Vortex/Atlantic title sound this great, I imagine the Blue Note Gales will really be sonically spectacular!

Ghetto Music is available for preorder from cduniverse. . . no sign of Black Rhythm Happenin' . . .but it may be smart to delay that one due to the French reissue.

Alan had Black Rhythm happening slotted for an August 12th release. The link from his site has it now scheduled for Sept. 30.

I have the French release and I dig it, even if I can't read it. Not for everyone, though - so it might be a good idea to wait for some sound clips.

• 1 month later...

I really don't know how to describe these. I will say that if you love "Lift Every Voice" (either Max's or Andrew's!) you're likely to like these. If you like Sun Ra of the late sixties, you are likely to like this. Even so it's hard to describe these, they're unique in a way, but I really like them. . . .

If it helps, I have bought the Black Rythm Happening on cd from amazon I think and I really liked it but I always had a soft spot for the title piece. The rest is also worth a listen and for the price I paid..not much it was worth a risk. I have also pre ordered the Ghetto Music here in the UK which looks pencilled in for October.

Let me know if I can help anymore.

Andy

I got the 4 Men w/ Beards (what a stupid name for a label!) vinyl version of Black Rhythm Happening the other day. Nice heavy pressing, great sound and an interview updating you on what Eddie's been up to since he cut this. Paid about $13-14, listened to the first side and it's kind of a period piece but it's gots some good playing too. Glad I bought it but maybe not in such a big hurry to get Ghetto music...

i'll have to agree with lon & andy on this, i like them both, definitely worth getting,imo. to danasgoodstuff, not much of a hurry to pick up ghetto music, but for that price i would pick up a copy,and worry about whether i like it or not later. who knows how long it will even be in print.

Edited by mike casinghino

Based on members recommendations, I picked up "Ghetto Music" on Cd and really like it a lot!! It's been in my player all week. I really love Andrew Hill's "Lift Every Voice" too and it's similar but different in it's own way. I've ordered "Black Rhythm Happening" and can't wait to hear it too.

Thanks for the recommendations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :g