• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a bottle of:

brandopus-hopping-hare-bottle-in.jpg

Now followed by:

Bath-Ales-Barnstormer-Product-Images.jpg

The local Sainsbury suddenly expanded its nice beers section a few weeks back. Though I suspect the specials deals might fall foul of David Camerons recently announced attack on cheap alcohol (though I doubt that his Eton buddies will worry as they will be able to pickle themselves on fine wine with their handsome tax reduction).

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Made this: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/18/magazine/18food-t.html (the first recipe, linguine with green garlic clam sauce)

Drank this: http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=884526

I think I've probably had much better (the wine might be a bit past its prime and also looked like it was on its way to being corked) but fine enough for home cooking.

Always good when this one is on 'Special' - £1.99 usual price is a bit 'rich' for me. Too bad that they don't bring back the Bath Fest jazz weekend that usually goes with it.

Though I suspect the specials deals might fall foul of David Camerons recently announced attack on cheap alcohol

Responsible drinkers shouldn't fear anything. Their 'sights' are on the cheapo no-name beer brands, 2L bottles of mega-cheap cac cider and discount 10 packs of Stella churned out by the supermarkets. If it cuts down some of the mindless "pre-loading" and binge drinking that goes on in much of this country thanks to such 'offers' then bring it on !

Edited by sidewinder

Always good when this one is on 'Special'. Too bad that they don't bring back the Bath Fest jazz weekend that usually goes with it.

Quite - that's where I got my taste. They do Gem and Golden Hare too in Sainsburys.

Tend to go for these and 'Tribute' from Cornwall. I'm no connoisseur but I like the geographical associations (I base my rare wine purchases on names of places that changed hands in one of the treaties at the end of Louis XIV's wars).

Both 'Gem' and 'Golden Hare' are also very nice indeed. I wonder if they still do t-shirts - my last one bought at the Fest fell apart recently. :crazy:

Another good one tried recently is that 'Sharp's Special' from Rock, Cornwall. No doubt specially fermented for the spoilt Metropolitan Tarquins who frequent the beaches there in Summer but a good beer, nevertheless.

90-sharps-mixed-case.jpg

Edited by sidewinder

Both 'Gem' and 'Golden Hare' are also very nice indeed. I wonder if they still do t-shirts - my last one bought at the Fest fell apart recently. :crazy:

Another good one tried recently is that 'Sharp's Special' from Rock, Cornwall. No doubt specially fermented for the spoilt Metropolitan Tarquins who frequent the beaches there in Summer but a good beer, nevertheless.

90-sharps-mixed-case.jpg

Yes, I camped in Rock a couple of years back. Lovely countryside, pity about the yachts!

I know Doom Bar from down there.

90-sharps-mixed-case.jpg

Yes, I camped in Rock a couple of years back. Lovely countryside, pity about the yachts!

If you don't mind my asking....what is the alcohol content of most bottled British beer?

Edited by GoodSpeak

90-sharps-mixed-case.jpg

If you don't mind my asking....what is the alcohol content of most bottled British beer?

Varies. The stuff I've mentioned ranges from 4% to about 5.5%.

Standard beer is lower; and you can buy the 6%+ stuff but I always find that like drinking syrup.

I recall going to Sweden ten years back and you could get nothing above about 3% in the regular shops. You had to go to the state alcohol shop to purchase anything higher - all a bit Soviet.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• 1 month later...

You're right, I have the wrong picture for it, I'm drinking from glass.

Fine Chuck, you don't have to buy any water. I like it, and I drink it, and I don't feel bad about it. Your drink is using someone's water too.

I drink a lot more water when it's good tasting like this. Like the carbonation too. Drinking more water is good for me. I don't drink alcohol or soft drinks.

Edited by jazzbo