Sports: NBA 2006-2007

The Sonics did have a chance to take the Lakers last night, but bombed out at the end. Tarriff and Walton were playing like all-stars the last five minutes of the game for LA. Kobe looked ok, doesn't have his legs yet, had an open dunk, and got stuffed by the rim(!!).

Edited by Matthew

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pistons gave up 68 points in the paint last night.

I'm very happy to see Ronny Turiaf contributing for the Lakers, after heart surgery kept him out last year and never playing again was a possibility. He and Maurice Evans are some real hustle players, something the Lakers have lacked for the last few seasons.

I expect Jordan Farmar to replace Smush Parker in the starting lineup quickly. Only Sasha Vujacic has looked worse than Smush.

I can't believe the Warriors lost to the Lakers sans Kobe. This is going to be a long season. :blink:

Guy

I had the same reaction. We still need more interior defense, and I'm not too impressed with the roster additions so far.

It was good to see them play some D against Portland last night and get a win... and this time their shooting was more like what one would expect of a professional basketball team. :rolleyes: But I still think it could be a long season...

It was good to see them play some D against Portland last night and get a win... and this time their shooting was more like what one would expect of a professional basketball team. :rolleyes: But I still think it could be a long season...

I'm not that impressed with the win over Portland. But at least they're not going to finish 0-82.

Guy

Many in the local media are saying that bringing in Nellie will guarantee us an additional 10 wins, and therefore we should make the playoffs. I don't know about that... it remains to be seen if this group of players can play smart basketball when the situation calls for it. At least Derek Fisher is gone (hallelujah). And Nellie or no Nellie, the defensive committee of Foyle, Biedrins and Diogu are not up to par, and we're going to get abused in the paint. I still don't see enough defense in general, the kind of defense that will allow us to run. The halfcourt offense is still pretty ugly.

Many in the local media are saying that bringing in Nellie will guarantee us an additional 10 wins, and therefore we should make the playoffs. I don't know about that... it remains to be seen if this group of players can play smart basketball when the situation calls for it. At least Derek Fisher is gone (hallelujah). And Nellie or no Nellie, the defensive committee of Foyle, Biedrins and Diogu are not up to par, and we're going to get abused in the paint. I still don't see enough defense in general, the kind of defense that will allow us to run. The halfcourt offense is still pretty ugly.

I've been impressed by Monta Ellis's play. On the other hand, four of the starters -- Davis, Richardson, Murphy and Dunleavy -- have been really horrible thus far.

Guy

I've been impressed by Monta Ellis's play. On the other hand, four of the starters -- Davis, Richardson, Murphy and Dunleavy -- have been really horrible thus far.

Absolutely true, and I don't get it. If one or two of them were rusty to begin the year, I might understand, but ALL of them? :wacko: Davis has really been leading the way, with bad shooting, bad shot selection (especially ill-advised 3's), and lazy turnovers. Dunleavy shows signs of life, but I'm worried about his confidence level... he needs to turn things around this year, or I'm afraid he's going to find himself struggling to find a new home someplace. I think Murph has been affected by the broken nose (the mask has got to take some getting used to). JRich is still not 100% after the knee surgery (seems like he's always recovering from one injury or another).

Monta has looked very good. He's going to get a lot of minutes this year, and that's what he needs to take his game up a notch or two. Biedrins is looking better (more confident) too.

Man, every time we play Utah, Mehmet Okur and Matt Harpring just go nuts on us. They're both unstoppable when they play the W's. :unsure:

Sonics really shot the lights out last night. Lamar and Kobe had chemistry issues until late in the season last year, but I think in the two games so far this year it is difficult to judge because Kobe looks terribly rusty. He can't jump and is making uncharacteristic errors. Hopefully he'll get his legs back under him soon.

Edited by Noj

Mavs are 0-2. From the looks of things, they're still playing timid ball, which is precisely what caused 'em to collapse in last season's Finals.

Look at the bright side, Al. Nellie & the Golden State Worry-ors are coming to town tonight. :excited:

I was thinking the same thing.

I wonder if any of the Warriors will crack 20 pts tonight. :unsure:

Guy

:w Oops, sorry Al... I forgot that the W's have taken 6 of the last 10 from the Mavs, and beat them twice at Dallas last season. :o

Yeah Guy, pretty nice win. Still, the thing that struck me throughout was how many plays (blocked shots, steals, collisions, etc) where the Warriors didn't get whistled for fouls (not that they deserved to, but they would have been in the Utah game).

Monta looked good again... especially hitting those two FT's in crunch time after being clotheslined by Jason Terry. Baron finally looked like he was ready to play. :tup

The low, ominous rumble you hear from the West is the Lakers' 19-year-old Andrew Bynum. 20 points and 14 boards in a win over the Tenderwolves.

Will KG just hurry up and come to Detroit already?

Detroit will probably have to give up at least Billups and Rasheed Wallace to get Garnett.

Guy

Edited by Guy