Sports: NBA 2006-2007

Alright, Pistons fans, are you ready to kick our butts? :D

Guy

Now that's what I call a SPANKING!

Good to see JRich playing well again. Another good game from Baron -- his shooting percentage over these last few has been much better.

Monta Ellis is a turnover machine.

Guy

I missed the entire first half, and when I checked in at the beginning of the 3rd, I looked at the score (and back and forth at the names of the teams) about five times. ^_^ Guy, is this the same team that lost to the Lakers (with no Kobe) on opening night? :blink:

Well, it's been a nice stretch of games lately... let's see if they can keep this up throughout the home-stand.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God, the Heat are looking awful so far. They're lucky that the eastern conference is so weak.

Houston and Utah are looking really good so far.

The Clippers are playing well too but so far their schedule has been soft. We'll see what happens when they go on the road.

Guy

Edited by Guy

Posted on Wed, Nov. 15, 2006

An Allen Iverson fan to the end

Kevin Johnson gave up his health and mobility for a Sixers jersey. Now, he'll wear one when he is laid to rest.

By Natalie Pompilio

Inquirer Staff Writer

Kevin Johnson was shot wearing an Allen Iverson jersey. He will be buried wearing an Allen Iverson jersey.

And Allen Iverson will pay for his funeral.

The Sixers all-star contacted Johnson's mother yesterday, expressing his condolences and offering to pick up any costs.

"I know Kevin hears that," said Johnson's mother, Janice Jackson-Burke. "I know Kevin is happy."

Last week, Jackson-Burke said, her son, 22, suffered irreparable brain damage after his breathing machine failed. He died about 4:40 a.m. yesterday after being removed from life support Monday night, she said.

In a way, the story will come full circle, starting on a Southwest Philadelphia corner in 2003 - when armed robbers demanded that Johnson give up his Sixers jersey - and ending when Johnson, once again wearing his favorite player's shirt, is laid to rest next Wednesday.

When the five teenagers - including a romantic rival - approached Johnson from behind and demanded he "give it up," Johnson refused. One of the teens opened fire. Johnson was shot once in the neck and was left a quadriplegic.

That small piece of metal robbed him of his health and mobility.

Johnson's five assailants could face more serious charges. After the medical examiner determines the cause of Johnson's death, prosecutors will decide whether a homicide charge is appropriate.

For Johnson, the shooting - which many people may have viewed as an ending - became a new beginning. Strapped into his wheelchair, he and his mother spoke at schools and rallies, advising their audience to stay away from guns: One bullet - fired without a thought - could change or destroy a life.

Johnson's family says the injury changed, not ruined, his life. True, his mother had to bathe and dress him. He could no longer lace up his sneakers to play basketball or grab a video game controller. His plans to go to college were put on hold.

But Johnson was the same positive thinker he'd always been, they say. He forgave his assailants, even befriending one of them and giving advice as the man played video games at his bedside. He cherished and teased his sisters while lying prone on his bed. His mother's spaghetti was still his favorite food, although she now had to feed it to him.

And, until the end, Iverson was his favorite player.

Larry Hughes' injury, initially believed to be a bruised leg, is in fact a high ankle sprain. He'll be sitting for awhile. Cavs travel to take Wiz on Saturday, and then have 4 games in 5 nights (Mem, Tor, Ind, Phi). Hopefully Sasha Pavlovic (and perhaps Damon Jones) will be up to the task.

Larry Hughes' injury, initially believed to be a bruised leg, is in fact a high ankle sprain. He'll be sitting for awhile. Cavs travel to take Wiz on Saturday, and then have 4 games in 5 nights (Mem, Tor, Ind, Phi). Hopefully Sasha Pavlovic (and perhaps Damon Jones) will be up to the task.

None of those teams are that good -- Cavs should be able to take 3 of 4, Hughes or no Hughes.

The Warriors are probably going to lose to the (impressive) Kings tonight.

Guy

Edited by Guy

The Warriors are probably going to lose to the (impressive) Kings tonight.

Guy

Hmm... nope, we ran all over them, and were feelin' it from the perimiter to boot. The closest the Kings could get in the second half was around 8, I think. A comfortable win. Barkley & Co. on TNT were pretty skeptical about the W's being able to continue this little streak... they said we don't play defense, and always go into a stall at some point in every game, failing in the halfcourt offense. Well, that was 100% true last season (with a lazier Baron and an erratic Derek Fisher leading the way), but so far we're not doing that anymore. We're attacking the rim and moving the ball well. I'm not saying we're good enough to make the playoffs, but the TNT crew didn't seem to be watching what was going on.

Every time one of us predicts a Warrior loss (me before the Dallas game, you before the Detroit game), things go well. Let's keep it up. :lol:

I caught only the first half of Warriors/Kings. Baron was definitely the king. But I gotta ask, do any of the teams out in Cali play any D? That thing looked like a layup drill (at least in the first half).

Well, Nellie has them thinking about running, running, running. Run off of made baskets, even. So, you're going to see a lot of back and forth (and more than the usual number of layups for both teams) when the Warriors play. Still, she Warriors were playing a lot of D (that was my complaint with the TNT panel's comments). Play D -> Force turnovers -> Run -> Get layups. Andris Biedrins has been blocking a lot of shots lately. How many points did the Pistons score against the W's? They haven't won 4 in a row by letting people score at will.