Conn500's Big Hospital Adventure

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got back from the hospital an hour ago. I'm still hurting but very much alive.

Thanks for everyone's sympathies. I hope to deal with the cds tomorrow depending on my strength levels.

I had been suffering from this large kidney stone for 2-3 months now, but it took a major turn for the worst Friday. I got on live chat Friday evening and yukked it up with the boys for a bit. I got very sick on Saturday and Sunday, running temperatures of 104 degrees. My wife pleaded with me to go to the hospital, but I said that I was "tough" and I don't like hospitals. I was living on advil throughout those days and made a deal with her that if the fevers returned on Monday, I would go in.

I checked into the hospital on Monday morning and was giving the emergency room nurse by best masculine grin when my blood pressure came out at 117/57. :P I'm a pretty healthy guy. I was still Advill-ed up, and I told them that I pretty much knew that I had a kidney stone, as I had had them before and knew the symptoms. I was concerned about the fevers.

They sent me in for a cat scan and the urologist came in to say that they would have to operate immediately to place a stint in my urinary tract as a large 1.5 x 2 cm stone had blocked my left kidney and there was a significant infection behind the blockage. My white blood count was 18,000. I was pretty shocked.

They knocked me out and I awoke to discover an attached catheter. The doctor claimed that my infection was so great that if I had continued to leave it untreated for just two days more, I would have been in my grave. :o Boy that woke me up! They did various blood cultures to discover that the infection had already reached my bloodstream. Two more days would have left my system overwhelmed. I had two awful nights at the hospital and they have let me go with a white blood cell count of 10,000.

Anyway, I have to go back in two weeks to deal with the kidney stone. They may have to cut me or they can zap it in the tub. It depends on an x-ray that I have to get taken next week. Then I have to go in and get the stint removed. In the meantime, there are two other small stones in that kidney; both are passable at this stage. I've got antibiotics and painkillers for the next two weeks before we start dealing with the stone. I'm not worrying about the next part. We'll take things as they come.

But I have to make some short term adjustments to my lifestyle. I had a tournament scheduled this weekend, which I shall now cancel. I won't go back to work until Monday. But all scheduled live chat appearances will go through as planned. :P

I hope some of you may benefit from my story. Don't be stubborn like I was. When you run fevers like that and endure pain for months...yeah, you better go to the hospital. I'm a healthy 46 year old man. That I was two days from death due to my own obstinacy is eye-opening to me. I don't want to go just yet! I've got weekly NFL games to pick and lots of live chat sessions and lots of good jazz friends.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Paul

I won't go back to work until Monday. But all scheduled live chat appearances will go through as planned. :P

Well, at least you have your priorities straight! :rolleyes:

I think I speak for everyone to whom you owe CDs when I say don't worry about them--just take it easy and take care of yourself. And if I don't speak for the others, then F 'em! <_<

Paul, I'm glad that you have taken to heart the lesson you've learned. Do take care of yourself.

My brother was very ill starting a few weeks ago and I believe that if his friend had not come to check on him, he would not have gone to the hospital on his own. As it was, he was in real bad shape and while he was discharged one week later (just about a week ago) they still have no clue for what his problems are. Knowing how bad off he was when he was admitted, its hard to imagine what might have happened if his friend had not come by.

I'm like you in not beng anxious to get medical treatment for anything but hopefully these two cases will help cure me of that before its me who's getting frightening diagnoses.

Tragedy averted. Glad you're back.

Thanks BM!

I'm heading to bed and get away from this magnetic internet pull. I gotta get some rest.

This outta keep you away from the cheap-o beer for a while, Conn. ;)

Glad to hear that you're home. I had my own brush with a serious medical condition last year. If I hadn't gone in for an exam, it would have put me on a swift path to no-where's-ville. I won't go into the details, but fortunately I got it taken care of relatively early and things are OK now.

Moral of the story: If you think you have a problem, get it taken care of - SOONER rather than LATER.