NFL chat thread

Well, FWIW, the Cows have NEVER beaten the same team three times in one season. Last time this happened, they swept the Giants in the regular season while going 13-3 and landing the top seed, and then promptly lost to the Giants in the first round.

I agree that ignoring the rule is wrong, and wouldn't be surprised one bit if TV was behind it.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, FWIW, the Cows have NEVER beaten the same team three times in one season. Last time this happened, they swept the Giants in the regular season while going 13-3 and landing the top seed, and then promptly lost to the Giants in the first round.

I agree that ignoring the rule is wrong, and wouldn't be surprised one bit if TV was behind it.

I don't like it either, but is there a citation or link for this rule? A quick perusal of Wiki turns up nothing on this.

Not to stick up for the NFL, but is it possible that they don't allow WCs to play their own division winner, unless that would mean forcing the top teams that would otherwise get a bye to play? I'm certainly not an expert in this, but it is hard to imagine all the NFL owners would just look the other way...

Oh and hey NFL - how about having a rule, a la Major League Baseball, where the WC winner cannot play their division winner in the first round? How weird is it that both NFC wild card games* will be a rematch of week 17's games??

*And if the Jets hold on to their 27-0 half time lead over the Bengals their AFC WC game w/ be a week 17 rematch too.

I agree it's odd that they have the WC match ups vs. division winners in the first round, and this year it shows a flaw in that approach with 3 games being rematches (at least in name, though not necessarily line ups in some of those games.) The rules changed in 2002 when Houston was added and they sliced the league into too many, er, I mean 4 divisions. From that point on it's been a strict adherence their legalistic seeding system, part of which guarantees a divisional winner a home game even the team's record is worse than the WCs. Wiki addresses it along with all the tie-breakers.

The only time that I recall a team beating another three times in one year was when the Giants beat the Skins to get into their first Super Bowl in 1986. Don't know if it was the only time, just the only one I remember.

Nice wins for both the Jets and the Cowboys today.

Cowboys exorcised a few demons with this win - their first in the playoffs since 1996. Wade Phillips' first playoff win ever, as well as Tony Romo's.

I don't know if the Cowboys can go on the road and play up to the standard they've set for themselves over the past 4-5 games, but if they can they can beat the Vikes. Should be a good game.

So far, two of the three losers last week that have to play the same team this week, have lost again.

Philly, looking like a sad shell of what they were just three weeks ago. Pathetic

Cincinnati, looking even worse with the Jets "DOMINATING" them totally.

Haven't looked at the matchups for tomorrow but it seems it is hard to get a win after blowing it. Oh yeah, it was Indianapolis. If they lose, they will deserve it for pulling so many of their starters. That was just a bad bad decision; But if they win, go Colts.

What gripes me is that the Eagles just signed that fat pantload Reid to a three year extension. I would have dumped him and gone after Cowher in a heartbeat. There is such a thing as staying too long at the party. I do think we've seen the last of Donovan McNabb. He's signed through next year, so the trade value he has is now. If you deal him for some picks and do the same with Vick, then, hopefully, the rebuilding process will not take forever.

I'll tell you one thing, losing three times to the Cowpies in one season is just about more than I can handle.

Pats cooled off at end of season and right into the playoffs. Did the Pats give up or did Bilichick give up. One or all will be gone next year, except Brady and Moss and Welker and his standin Sunday. Defense is shot.

Arizona looking very strong but defense still gives up a lot of points.

Now, what about the Colts, they lost last two and had week off. Will they be rusty and slow or all fired up?? That is the question.

Pats cooled off at end of season and right into the playoffs. Did the Pats give up or did Bilichick give up. One or all will be gone next year, except Brady and Moss and Welker and his standin Sunday. Defense is shot.

Not at all. Belichick will be back. They did win their division if a "bad" year. Shows you how high are expectations. Defense isn't shot at all. The defense is young and inexperienced. They have a lot of growing to do. Four picks in the first two rounds of the upcoming draft won't hurt the team.

Edited by connoisseur series500