NFL chat thread

The worst slate of Thanksgiving games in the history of the universe....

Watching football at Thanksgiving has become one of those traditions that I look forward to every year. But when I saw the lineup of games I knew it was going to be 3 pointless blow-outs...only the first half of the Colts/Atlanta game held any interest whatsoever. They need to start thinking about a way to "flex-schedule" these games to make them more interesting.

Yawn.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, on the possible sleeper teams...here's an interesting QB stat that nobody is talking about.

Matt Hasselback (Seattle Seahawks)

TDS=17

INT=8

YDS=2,638

RTG=91.3

from NFL.com

"Seattle's most consistent offensive player this season, who is ranked in the NFC's top five in attempts (364), completions (230), touchdowns (17) and passer rating (91.3) and is taking advantage of Holmgren emphasizing passing over a stalled running game."

I wouldn't count these guys out yet, they have the talent and potential to make a run late in the season, win the division and get a home playoff game. Alexander is out this week (not a great loss) but they also get D.J. Hackett back who is a potential #1 receiver sometime in the future.

Come to think of it, we, Pat fans probably did use injuries as an excuse for losing games. :D

...that's why I said "shit happens". Unfortunately injuries are part of the game and certainly have a say in how many games play out. Very tough for any team to lose a bunch of starters for several games in a row and win them all....expecially against a team like the Pats/Colts. Losing your #1 receiver and a couple of your starting offensive linemen plus three other starters is not good....plus that hack Vinatieri they picked up in the off season is killing them :rolleyes: !

m

Edited by sheldonm

I thought it was going to be another "Sunday night blowout" but actually ended up being one of the more entertaining games I've watched recently. Every team on the Pats schedule is going to be dissecting the game film to figure out how the Eagles "almost" won the game last night.

That was probably a good wake up for the Pats, so they don't get too complacent in their greatness.

I found it odd that the Iggles' defense looked so tough and the Pats' so soft. AJ Feeley looked really good for a long stretch. Brady was pressured often, and threw more bad passes than I've seen all year. It's funny that defending that Pats well is holding them to 31 points...

Two things about Pats-Eagles:

1. It was unlikely the Pats wouldn't be tested at some point. And the further along they get, the more likely it becomes. The Pats may have started to believe the hype themselves. Everyone from here on in is going to bring their best game against them, so the Pats will have to match that in order to keep on winning. Question is, were they exposed or will this refocus them even more?

2. The age of the New England linebackers may have been exposed Sunday night. Inside routes were easy pickings for the Eagles' backup QB. Seems like Belichick may have to scheme around that.

The formula: Shut down Moss; blitz Brady early and often; play the receivers physical and tight; don't unleash a wild throw on a deep corner route on your last possession of the game when you've been burning them all night inside.

It'll be interesting to see what the mad genius comes up with to counter all this next week against the (cough, cough) Ravens.

The fact that their is a tradition of having Detroit and Dallas in the mix does not help. Indy-Atlanta was a decent matchup.

Also we can't say that the other games of the week are salivating prospects. Denver-Chicago or Viking-Giants anyone ?

Well, Denver-Chicago turned out to be a barn-burner, with some awesome plays on both sides of the ball. One of the best games I've watched this season.

I found it odd that the Iggles' defense looked so tough and the Pats' so soft. AJ Feeley looked really good for a long stretch. Brady was pressured often, and threw more bad passes than I've seen all year. It's funny that defending that Pats well is holding them to 31 points...

the league now has a blueprint for slowing the pats express.

the eagles beat themselves by becoming pass happy.

:rolleyes:

looks like the league is looking a bit closer at the moss pushoffs.

Two things about Pats-Eagles:

1. It was unlikely the Pats wouldn't be tested at some point. And the further along they get, the more likely it becomes. The Pats may have started to believe the hype themselves. Everyone from here on in is going to bring their best game against them, so the Pats will have to match that in order to keep on winning. Question is, were they exposed or will this refocus them even more?

2. The age of the New England linebackers may have been exposed Sunday night. Inside routes were easy pickings for the Eagles' backup QB. Seems like Belichick may have to scheme around that.

The formula: Shut down Moss; blitz Brady early and often; play the receivers physical and tight; don't unleash a wild throw on a deep corner route on your last possession of the game when you've been burning them all night inside.

It'll be interesting to see what the mad genius comes up with to counter all this next week against the (cough, cough) Ravens.

Well, mark me down as most concerned about the Steelers game. Last night was a wake up call for the Pats to remind them that no one will lay down for them (well, no one other than the Dolphins and Jets) so it will be interesting to see how they react. Since the Dolphins didn't even have to play a play-off team in '72, I don't even know if they ever had a gut-check game in that season, but the Pats have had theirs, now we'll see if they are as for real as people thought.

On a separate note, does anyone know how much money was lost in Vegas on that game? Maybe this will mean slightly more realistic lines the rest of the way. I bet a lot of people went big for the Pats when they heard that McNabb was out, only to get burned.

... Since the Dolphins didn't even have to play a play-off team in '72, I don't even know if they ever had a gut-check game in that season, but the Pats have had theirs, now we'll see if they are as for real as people thought.

I think there was a game against the Vikings that they barely pulled out at the last minute. And a one-point win over the Bills. There were a fair number of blowouts, but an equal number of reasonably close games. Although, they did beat the Pats 52-0 that year. Yikes.

EDIT: BTW, looking at the results, they played six preseason games that year! Seems like a lot.

Edited by papsrus

The fact that their is a tradition of having Detroit and Dallas in the mix does not help. Indy-Atlanta was a decent matchup.

Also we can't say that the other games of the week are salivating prospects. Denver-Chicago or Viking-Giants anyone ?

Well, Denver-Chicago turned out to be a barn-burner, with some awesome plays on both sides of the ball. One of the best games I've watched this season.

It really was. I don't have much hope for the rest of the Bears' season, but yesterday's game was absolutely incredible.

Devin Hester = best kick returner...ever?

i agree

you never saw gail sayers return kicks.

http://munilot.com/blogs/vhr/archive/2007/...-returners.aspx :rolleyes:

The man has already broken Sayer's team record for TD returns!

There was a chart on ESPN of the guys ahead of him, and its just ridiculous - guys with 12 or 16 returns - in 120 or 150 games, while Hester has ten in like 20 career games!

Its the equivalent of someone approaching Willie Mays' 660 homers - in like five years instead of 20.

Devin Hester = best kick returner...ever?

i agree

you never saw gail sayers return kicks.

http://munilot.com/blogs/vhr/archive/2007/...-returners.aspx :rolleyes:

The man has already broken Sayer's team record for TD returns!

There was a chart on ESPN of the guys ahead of him, and its just ridiculous - guys with 12 or 16 returns - in 120 or 150 games, while Hester has ten in like 20 career games!

Its the equivalent of someone approaching Willie Mays' 660 homers - in like five years instead of 20.

How about Skip Clueless saying Hester wasn't important to the outcome of the game. Are you kidding me?

How about Skip Clueless saying Hester wasn't important to the outcome of the game. Are you kidding me?

He really said that? He only scored two TDs and the threat of another led to the blocked punt that produced another score.

What an incredible dumb ass that dude is.

Some BS about how the Broncos were still leading after Hester ran back his two TDs. Yada, yada. Never mind both coaches said Hester was the key to the game.