NFL chat thread

Cowboys were lucky to escape with a 28-27 win over Detroit today. The Lions outplayed the Cowboys in terms of effort for sure.

To me, this was a game that had meaning. I'm hearing locals mentioning in in the same breath as the Buffalo game, but there's no comparison in my book. That game was a lackluster, goofy, even, effort against a team that could/should have easily been beaten. This game was different - Detroit came to play and brought their A+ game. Detroit is not an untalented team, and today, the buzzsaw effect was in full force. Without some top-notch Dalls redzone defense forcing FGs, the Cowboys might well have been trounced beyond recognition. As it was, it was definitely shaping up to be one of those classic "On Any Given Sunday..." games.

Instead, they got some help from a missed FG, were able to overcome Witten's shoke fumble, and come back, cooly and calmly, and get it done at the very lest second. It didn't have to go that way, it maybe shouldn't have gone that way, but it did go that way.

I've maintained from jump that this was a very good team in the process of possibly becoming great, taht there would be hurdles and tests along the way. This was definitely one of them, I think, and I was impressed at how they got over it.

What I'm waiting to see now is next week against the Eagles, a team that's been playing like a wounded dog all season. If Dallas rides in too high from this week's in my mind significant step forward, they might get knocked back down and chewed up quicker than they can do anything about it.

Like the man said, that's why they play the games...

That's what defines a championship team: the ability to overcome everything--bad plays, mental mistakes, obvious weaknesses--to find a way to win.

Few teams could consistently give up as many points as the Cowboys do and STILL come out on top. AFAIC, Romo is the QB of the year. Witten sure atoned for his error earlier in the game with those catches on the winning drive.

And on a semi-related note, I'm with FFA: those Pats look completely unstoppable. If the Cows do make it to the Super Bowl for a rematch against their only loss of the season, this could shape up to be the Super Bowl of the century.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shhh...be very quiet...nobody knows about this...

Seahawks are 9-4, clinched NFC West for 4th straight year, Hasselback is lighting it up (4 TDs today), they've won 5 straight, their defense is second in takeaways and they've given up less than 10 passing TD's all season.

...just don't tell anybody...

All Detroit had to do to defeat Dallas was to fall on Romo's fumble, instead of kicking it into the hands of a Dallas player.

Yep. That was a dumb mistake, typical of the Lions.

I thought that too, except that was not an easy ball to collect. It was moving at him pretty fast and was rolling around. Not sure you could just fall on that ball. No question that he was trying to pick it up and run. He didn't try to fall on it. Not sure he could have; but it was worth a shot.

Seahawks are 9-4, clinched NFC West for 4th straight year, Hasselback is lighting it up (4 TDs today), they've won 5 straight, their defense is second in takeaways and they've given up less than 10 passing TD's all season.

I think they could be the stumbling block for a lot of playoff teams this year, including the Cowboys if they don't address those defensive lapses pronto. Folks around here know what it's like to have a team win a franchise record number of games, only to lose it all in the first round because obvious deficiencies were never addressed/corrected.

I think they could be the stumbling block for a lot of playoff teams this year, including the Cowboys if they don't address those defensive lapses pronto. Folks around here know what it's like to have a team win a franchise record number of games, only to lose it all in the first round because obvious deficiencies were never addressed/corrected.

Coughmaverickscough.

Colts took Manning out midway through the third with a 44-7 lead over the Ravens.

Maybe Belichick will learn a lesson in class and sportsmanship if he's watching tonight. :P

Agg=dick! ;)

Belichick=dick! :rmad:

Jerry Jones=dick!

On that we can certainly agree! Cheers! :party:

He can be a real horse's ass, but every now and then he exhibits some true class. When sportscaster Dale Hansen's father died last year, Jones sent Hansen a letter that was kind, generous, and written like Jones actually knew Hansen's father (actually, I think he did; IIRC, Jones was in contact with Hansen's father and Hansen himself, checking on Hansen's dad when he was dying). Hansen was so moved he read the letter on the air. Thing to know is that Hansen rarely has a kind word to say about Jones the Cowboys owner and GM. But, apparently, Jones the man is someone completely different.

However, it's still hard for me to forgive the man for bulldozing a whole bunch of old homes and kicking the residents out (many of whom had lived there for over fifty years) just so he can use my money to build a stadium that I will never be able to afford to set foot in (which doesn't matter cuz I refuse to go in there anyway).

Coughmaverickscough.

Aggie, you OK? Sounds like you're choking on something....

Coughmaverickscough.

Aggie, you OK? Sounds like you're choking on something....

:D

Vick sentenced to 23 months for dogfighting

RICHMOND, Virginia (CNN) -- Michael Vick, once one of the highest paid players in the National Football League, was sentenced to 23 months in prison for financing a dogfighting ring and helping to kill pit bulls that did not fight aggressively.

Vick's stunning downfall from NFL superstar to disgraced dogfighting defendant culminated Monday in a 90-minute sentencing hearing in federal court in Richmond, Virginia.

Vick, 27, faced a maximum of five years in prison. Federal sentencing guidelines recommended a sentence of 12 to 18 months.

Animal rights protesters lined up outside the courthouse. Some carried signs with photographs of dogs, while others read "Dogs deserve justice," and "Report dog fighters."

Vick and three co-defendants still face trial on state dogfighting charges in Virginia. They are accused of torturing and killing dogs and promoting dogfights -- all felonies that carry five-year maximum sentences.

In his August plea agreement, Vick admitted bankrolling the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting operation on his 15-acre property in rural Surry County in southeastern Virginia.

Vick also admitted providing money for bets on the fights but said he never shared in any winnings.

According to court documents, dogs that failed to show enough fighting spirit or lost matches were executed. Some dogs died by electrocution and others by hanging or drowning.

Co-defendants told prosecutors that Vick assisted in executing the dogs, and that they "executed approximately eight dogs."

After initially denying any involvement, Vick acknowledged participating in killing to dogs in his plea agreement with prosecutors.

The suspended Atlanta Falcons star quarterback publicly apologized for his role in the dogfighting operation and unexpectedly turned himself in on November 19 to begin serving his prison term early. He has been held in a state jail in Warsaw, Virginia.

Last month, U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson sentenced Purnell Peace, of Virginia Beach, Virginia, to 18 months in prison. Quanis Phillips, of Atlanta, Georgia, was sentenced to 21 months.

A third co-defendant, Tony Taylor of Hampton, Virginia will be sentenced Friday. He was the first to plead guilty.

Peace, Phillips and Taylor entered plea agreements last summer under which they agreed to testify against Vick, prompting the suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback to enter his own plea agreement a few days later.

Vick agreed to pay more than $928,000 for the care of some 54 pit bulls seized from his property.

Prosecutors also have disclosed the extent of Vick's financial ruin. According to court documents, the Atlanta Falcons are attempting to recoup bonus money from his 10-year, $130 million football contract, Vick is in default on a $1.3 million bank loan for a wine store, and two other banks have filed suits seeking repayment of a $4.5 million in loans and lines of credit.

Vick's home in the Atlanta area is on the market for $4.5 million, prosecutors said in court papers. The Virginia home where the dogfighting operation was based, assessed at nearly $750,000, is on the auction block, according to reports published over the weekend.

Vick's attorneys last month requested a jury trial on the state charges. It is set to begin in April.

Aw shucks, Michael will be fully rehabilitated and back on the field in no time. After serving a year he'll spend a few months making the rounds on talk shows to say how sorry he is; how there was a bad Uncle that schooled him in bad ways as a youngster; how animal cruelty is worse than trans fats...... and that he's donating $1.2 m for a new animal shelter in Atlanta. Did I leave anything out?

.....btw, cute cd being offered on eBay. All we need is for Couw or someone else with some talent to superimpose Vick's head onto that body and it'll make a nice 'Mr. Vick Is Taking It.....In Prison' cd for the gang!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Chicano-Rap-CD-Ms-...bayphotohosting

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

Why aren't the Raiders playing Jamarcus? Get him in the game, you knuckleheads.

I read that they didn't want to "expose him to the harsh playing conditions" at Lambeau and risk injury...in other words they spent ALOT of money on this particular car and it will remain in the garage until just the right moment, thank you very much.

:g

The San Fran first round pick now own by the Patriots, currently translates into the second pick of the draft! :D

Keep on losing, San Fran!

Doesn't matter....they'd just blow it on some Alex Smith-type anyway :rolleyes:

I doubt very much that they will keep the pick. They'll likely prefer to trade down for multiple picks or deferred picks. McFadden might be interesting, but I say they trade the pick away. Cowboys interested in McFadden? Jones apparently is. Cowboys have two first rounders this year.

btw, NE is one of a handful of teams with an outstanding draft record over the past 5-10 years. They usually don't blow their picks.

I doubt very much that they will keep the pick. They'll likely prefer to trade down for multiple picks or deferred picks. McFadden might be interesting, but I say they trade the pick away. Cowboys interested in McFadden? Jones apparently is. Cowboys have two first rounders this year.

Jones lusts after McFadden for sure, and is on record as wanting a "wow" player out of the draft. I could see him trading both 1st rounders (and Roy Williams or something) to move up and get McFadden. Would be nice to have "Run DMc" and Marion Barber both running the ball for the Boys! I think Julius Jones won't be back in Dallas next year either way.

And Terry Glenn is possibly going to be ready to play in his first game of the season for Game 15, against the Panthers. If that happens and he can round into decent playing shape for the playoffs, that will only help the passing game. They've been remarkable this year so far without him, being their leading receiver last year.

Can't beleive this is the same Ravens team that has almost beaten the Patriots last week.

Check back through the Patriot schedule this year and you'll find that many of the teams played terribly after losing to the Patriots. It's as if their spirits had been broken. I include the Colts in that category. They lost to San Diego after losing to the Patriots. The only team which didn't seem devastated was Dallas, who seemed to get even better afterwards.

Good point, generally it's a good betting tip to bet against a team that lost his previous game in a heartbreaking fashion.

The San Fran first round pick now own by the Patriots, currently translates into the second pick of the draft! :D

Keep on losing, San Fran!

Doesn't matter....they'd just blow it on some Alex Smith-type anyway :rolleyes:

I doubt very much that they will keep the pick. They'll likely prefer to trade down for multiple picks or deferred picks. McFadden might be interesting, but I say they trade the pick away...

Agreed. If the pick is top-three, the requisite signing bonus + salary package would likely cause salary cap problems for the Pats. I could see them going for volume in the draft, and saving the cap $ for free agents (or retaining veteran players).

In addition to strong drafts, the Pats have been doing well with free agent signings the past couple of years. Many NFL clubs mess up in that area.