NFL chat thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great story on Earl Campbell, who was the best running back I ever witnessed. I rate Barry Sanders as the second best I've seen, but it must be mentioned that I didn't watch NFL during my 11 years in Thailand and missed out on Eric Dickerson.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sp...09campbell.html

Great story on Earl Campbell, who was the best running back I ever witnessed. I rate Barry Sanders as the second best I've seen, but it must be mentioned that I didn't watch NFL during my 11 years in Thailand and missed out on Eric Dickerson.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sp...09campbell.html

Thanks for sharing that, powerful story.

It is a powerful story; its also good to read that there is hope that his back will improve and I'm also glad to know that doctors don't regard his punishing running style as the cause of his problems now - it really sounds as though, through the same bull-headedness that made him such a remarkable athlete, a lot of his problems can be traced back to his own choices (not having the surgery, adapting the strength training regimen).

New England-Jets game was a real snoozer. I was watching it at a sports bar with the Pittsburgh-Jacksonville game on the neighboring screen. The Jacksonville game was definitely better.

Pats look like their sleepwalking their way through the end of the season. They better pick it up for the playoffs. They look uninterested. Another snoozer against Miami scheduled next weekend.

I still say it will take a cruel act of God for this Miami team to salvage the franchise pride and win next week.

Speaking of which - I am flying on JetBlue to LaGuardia while that game is going on - does anyone know if their seat-back TVs have Fox/CBS/NBC channels? I'd sure like to enjoy a blowout while I listen to tunes.

If you had told me the Cowboys would hold the Eagles to 10 points today, I'd have never guessed they would lose.

The defense looked halfway decent, and hopefully they are starting to gel into playoff form. But Romo had easily his worst start of the year, perhaps of his career. Three INTs, and misfiring left and right for the most part. A number of injuries also tonight - Gurode, Canty, Fasano, and Watkins, not to mention Romo apparently hurt his thumb at some point in the game.

They slipped to 12-2, and are now tied with GB for best record in the NFC. If they win out, they still have the homefield advantage for the playoffs, based on their head-to-head win.

They slipped to 12-2, and are now tied with GB for best record in the NFC. If they win out, they still have the homefield advantage for the playoffs, based on their head-to-head win.

Talk about two teams with identical records but going in completely opposite directions. The Packers are red hot. The Cowboys annual December swoon is in full gear (I know they won the previous two games prior to today, but they were difficult wins and they were hardly playing at their best in those games). Today was the proverbial opening of the floodgates. Only now it seems like the problem is on the OFFENSIVE side.

Roy Williams should be suspended for the rest of the season for that horse-collar penatly. Hey shitferbrains: THAT RULE WAS PUT ON THE BOOKS BECAUSE OF YOU, YA DUMBFUCK!

11-2, bigdealsowhat. You heard it here first, and you actually heard it last week: the Cowboys playoff futility continues this year with yet another first-round exit.

Roy Williams should be suspended for the rest of the season for that horse-collar penatly. Hey shitferbrains: THAT RULE WAS PUT ON THE BOOKS BECAUSE OF YOU, YA DUMBFUCK!

Well, the NFL is apparently a LITTLE more compassionate than you, Al. They did suspend him, but just for one game. :P

Cowboys must be pissed that the suspension was for only one game. He sucks on the field!

:lol:

He was arguably the best defensive player coming out of college football the year the Cowboys got him. They were expecting alot of plays like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1MpHG5x6q0, but all they've really gotten is a player who's known for horse-collaring and an occasional hard hit, but that's it.

He's a liability as a safety. Maybe they should convert him into a LB.

Holy shit, Orton really sucks! An ugly game on both sides.

I fell asleep sometime during the 2nd quarter, woke up just in time to see Minnesota win...doubt if I missed anything significant in-between.

If the Vikes make it to the playoffs will they play Seattle or Tampa Bay?

Cowboys put 11 players into the Pro Bowl, surprisingly (to me, anyway). I think T.O., Romo, Witten, and Demarcus Ware were shoe-ins.

** Terrell Owens, WR

** Flozell Adams, T

** Jason Witten, TE

** DeMarcus Ware, LB

** Andre Gurode, C

** Leonard Davis, G

** Nick Folk, K

Tony Romo, QB

Marion Barber, RB

Ken Hamlin, S

Terence Newman, CB

** = Pro Bowl starter

I believe Roy Williams is the first alternate to go, in place of Sean Taylor, so I don't know if that makes 12 or not. Either way, that's alot of players. Harkens back to the Aikman/Irvin/Smith prime era.

Not a single player from the NFC South (probably deservedly so, but there isn't one somewhere!?) and only one player from the three Florida squads ... 1-13 Miami's Jason Taylor.

That kinda surprises me, since it's not just a popularity contest. If it was only fan voting that determined the Pro Bowl rosters, I could see that happening. But since players & coaches also have an equal say, you'd think there would be more respect given to Jacksonville, for instance.