NFL chat thread

It was well documented that Polian's Colts had fake noise piped in during the AFC championship game last year.

Well, no it wasn't, unless you want to consider the musings of an ESPN reporter that, "gee it's so loud I think they might be piping in fake noise" as something being "well documented."

There weren't any fines (and we all know how they love to dole out the fines, doncha know), so it was all speculation by someone that was never proven.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conn, lighten up, dude...you won the freakin' game!

Even if there were dubious calls, I'm not sure you can specifically chalk it up to anti-Patriotism. Over the years, I've read a number of articles claming home-team bias in referees, in various sports including the NFL. Presumably the pressure causing bias would be worse in loud and raucous domes (even if the raucous noise is piped in :g ). [Disclaimer: I can't recall specific articles, skimmed the ones I saw, and can't claim that their research was convincing.]

Conn, lighten up, dude...you won the freakin' game!

Even if there were dubious calls, I'm not sure you can specifically chalk it up to anti-Patriotism. Over the years, I've read a number of articles claming home-team bias in referees, in various sports including the NFL. Presumably the pressure causing bias would be worse in loud and raucous domes (even if the raucous noise is piped in :g ). [Disclaimer: I can't recall specific articles, skimmed the ones I saw, and can't claim that their research was convincing.]

OK, I've lightened up and the joy from the victory is overwhelming the outrage..

But if the League issues a mea culpa, I'm posting it here!! :lol:

after tonight, the cowboys have something new to crow about.

What?

Until we can even think about competing on an equal footing with Indy & The Martyrs...uh, 'scuse me, PATRIOTS ;) we best just shut up and keep trying to improve.

Dallas is for real. They're awfully close to the Pats and Dolts, I think. NFC is for real. Green Bay! Lions! Browns! (oops that's AFC!) Giants!

What?

Until we can even think about competing on an equal footing with Indy & The Martyrs...uh, 'scuse me, PATRIOTS ;) we best just shut up and keep trying to improve.

Dallas is for real. They're awfully close to the Pats and Dolts, I think. NFC is for real. Green Bay! Lions! Browns! (oops that's AFC!) Giants!

and what the vikings did to the chargers!

nfc north is very good, except the bears, who were in the super bowl just last year.

What?

I think they're for real, too. I don't know if they could beat the Pats or Colts in the playoffs, but they WERE the first team to beat the Colts last season. Colts were 9-0 at the time. They also were ahead of the Patriots midway through the 3rd quarter this year, but (obviously) lost.

The Cowboys get Tank Johnson back from his suspension this week, too. I think the defense is getting healthier and should be solid, if no major injuries occur. I don't think Terry Glenn will be back this year though. But the offense has done well without their best receiver all year so far.

Edited by Aggie87

Cowboys "for real"?

At what level?

Whatever level it is (including "best team in the NFC, which I think you have to at least consider a possibility) is a darn far sight better than where they've been in ages, but...

Until they can be taken seriously as a potential Super Bowl champ, it still needs to be about shutting up and moving ahead. And to be taken seriously as a potential Super Bowl champ means to be taken seriously as an equal or better match for New England & Indy. And I am so not ready to do that yet.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun team to watch, and I'm enjoying the hell out of them. But fun & reality only sometimes intersect, and this ain't one of those times.

Yet.

It was well documented that Polian's Colts had fake noise piped in during the AFC championship game last year.

Well, no it wasn't, unless you want to consider the musings of an ESPN reporter that, "gee it's so loud I think they might be piping in fake noise" as something being "well documented."

There weren't any fines (and we all know how they love to dole out the fines, doncha know), so it was all speculation by someone that was never proven.

POSTED 10:32 a.m. EST; UPDATED 10:50 a.m. EST, November 5, 2007

LEAGUE LOOKING INTO CROWD NOISE PHENOMENON AT RCA DOME

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello tells us that the league is looking into the strange audio phenomenon that occurred near the start of the fourth quarter on Sunday between the Patriots at the Colts.

As explained by some Internet hack on SportingNews.com, the crowd noise made a strange vibrating sound (and then got considerably quieter) in the middle of a New England offensive play.

The audio is right here. (And to prove that we didn't doctor it, the same phenomenon can be heard at the 2:23 mark of the highlight package on NFL.com.)

Looks like the NFL won't issue any mea culpas:

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatsChick87

This will be the most watched segment on NFL ever!!!! Please post and sticky when we know when its on!!!!!

Sorry to break the suspense but....

Rich Eisen: Mike, there were some questionable pass interference calls during the indy-NE game.

Mike Perreira: Well Rich, as you can see here, the referee had good position on these plays, and they were judgment calls, so.....Would I have called them, probably not, but I didn't have his view of the play, so I can't say for sure.

Rich Eisen: OK, great job Mike!

Cowboys "for real"?

At what level?

Whatever level it is (including "best team in the NFC, which I think you have to at least consider a possibility) is a darn far sight better than where they've been in ages, but...

Until they can be taken seriously as a potential Super Bowl champ, it still needs to be about shutting up and moving ahead. And to be taken seriously as a potential Super Bowl champ means to be taken seriously as an equal or better match for New England & Indy. And I am so not ready to do that yet.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun team to watch, and I'm enjoying the hell out of them. But fun & reality only sometimes intersect, and this ain't one of those times.

Yet.

That's the same argument for any team in the league though. They're all supposed to strive to become Super Bowl Champions.

I think they're for real. Are they equal to Indy and the Patriots? Well, they're .500 against them in their most recent head-to-head meetings.

Is there room for improvement? Of course. The Dallas CB's still aren't completely healthy. That's a question mark. They lost NT Jason Ferguson, and have Tank Johnson coming in to make up for that. That's a question mark. Does Tony Romo occasionally throw INTs? Yep. But which other QBs in the league other than Manning and Brady would you trade him for? I can't think of any.

edit - MAYBE Carson Palmer, but even then I'm not sure I'd do that.

Edited by Aggie87

Looks like the NFL won't issue any mea culpas:

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatsChick87

This will be the most watched segment on NFL ever!!!! Please post and sticky when we know when its on!!!!!

Sorry to break the suspense but....

Rich Eisen: Mike, there were some questionable pass interference calls during the indy-NE game.

Mike Perreira: Well Rich, as you can see here, the referee had good position on these plays, and they were judgment calls, so.....Would I have called them, probably not, but I didn't have his view of the play, so I can't say for sure.

Rich Eisen: OK, great job Mike!

I thought that the pass interference call on Moss was ridiculous, but overall I don't think that the refereeing was any better or worse than the refereeing that I've seen in this or any prior season.

There was a horrible pass interference call against Charles Woodson late in the game at KC, and another bad pass intereference call on what ended up being a meaningless 2-point conversion for the Chiefs. It is all very subjective, and the referees are going to blow that call more often than any of us would like.

POSTED 2:24 p.m. EST, November 5, 2007

CBS TAKES BLAME FOR SOUND GLITCH

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that CBS has taken responsibility for the bizarre sound glitch that has prompted speculation that the Colts were caught red-handed in the act of piping phony crowd noise into the RCA Dome.

Per Schefter, the vibrating sound as the Pats were driving at the start of the fourth quarter was the result of tape feedback in the CBS production truck. Schefter says that the sound could not be heard in the stadium.

We've spoken to some radio folks who also believe that the phenomenon was not the result of a glitch during the use of artificial crowd noise.

I'm happy this was checked. We've got to keep them honest in the future.

Conn, we were honest in the past. The past speculation about piped in noise was just that: speculation. It was investigated and there was NO evidence of any manufactured noise in the AFC championship game just like there was no manufactured noise yesterday. You obviously have never attended a football game in a domed stadium.

Please don't put us in the category of your coach where there was blatant, obvious evidence. About 500K worth of evidence.

You may not like Polian; he may be a whiner to you (and probably to a lot of other people), but this "noisegate" is a total non issue that keeps rearing its ugly head due to paranoid freaks like Kraft those with a more "National Enquirer" mentality who try to make fact out of speculation.

As far as "rules changes" go; no rules were changed. The enforcement of existing rules was.

:)

Edited by rachel

Cowboys "for real"?

At what level?

Yet.

That's the same argument for any team in the league though. They're all supposed to strive to become Super Bowl Champions.

I think they're for real. Are they equal to Indy and the Patriots? Well, they're .500 against them in their most recent head-to-head meetings.

Is there room for improvement? Of course. The Dallas CB's still aren't completely healthy. That's a question mark. They lost NT Jason Ferguson, and have Tank Johnson coming in to make up for that. That's a question mark. Does Tony Romo occasionally throw INTs? Yep. But which other QBs in the league other than Manning and Brady would you trade him for? I can't think of any.

edit - MAYBE Carson Palmer, but even then I'm not sure I'd do that.

Yeah, they're a damn good team right now. But if they played a 16 game season against only Indy & NE, with the physical and mental (the most important factor at this phase, imo) team they have right now, do you honestly think they would finish at even .500? I don't. They still got a ways to go, especially in terms of mental focus and toughness.

Like I said, I'm lovin' 'em, but I'm not one to proclaim premature "greatness" on anything or anybody, not when the standard ot true greatness is in plain sight for all to see. Let them show that they can not only reach that level, but hang at it, and then I'll say we're there.

Until then, we're getting there. Hopefully.

I don't think any team in the NFC looks to be on the level of the Pats/Colts. But someone has to represent the conference in the Super Bowl and if they get past the Giants next week, Dallas ha got as good a chance as any. And anything can happen in the Super Bowl, if they get there.

I don't think any team in the NFC looks to be on the level of the Pats/Colts. But someone has to represent the conference in the Super Bowl and if they get past the Giants next week, Dallas ha got as good a chance as any. And anything can happen in the Super Bowl, if they get there.

Exactly.

Exactly indeed.

But who wants to "settle"?

Obviously not Indy, and obviously not NE.

There's Coleman Hawkins, and there's Vido Musso. Neither one is to be ashamed of, but...

I want some Bean before I get full football happy, ok? ;)

Edited by JSngry

But who wants to "settle"?

I'm not settling. I know there's room for improvement. I still think the team's for real though. I'm happy with where they're going right now - and 2 first round picks in the next draft as well.

They're fun to watch though, and it's been a while since that could be said. And they seem to be enjoying playing again, too.