NFL chat thread

Steelers look awful here in the third quarter. I can't see them coming back.

Update: Pittsburgh has stormed back to a one point lead in the fourth quarter. Jacksonville looks totally disoriented. Playoff football is tough! As a NE fan, I'm licking my chops over next week's matchup with either of these teams.

Edited by connoisseur series500

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

going for 2 points twice and failing twice cost the steelers a football game.

I disagree. That's some serious hindsight. Both two-point calls were "by the book" according to The Two-Point Conversion Chart. And conditional on missing the first one, surely the Steelers had to go for the second one, with a mere one-point lead. So you can only argue with the first call, when down 5. Even in retrospect, I have no beef against going with the odds and the chart.

Edited by T.D.

Steelers went a little too conservative when they got back the ball with the lead at around the 3 minute mark.

Then againwhen you lose by such a tiny margin, you can go back to a lot of things, Jaguars had the last word and they won, period.

i dont expect to see another game in the playoffs as competitive as steelers-jags.

Aw shucks, Michael will be fully rehabilitated and back on the field in no time. After serving a year he'll spend a few months making the rounds on talk shows to say how sorry he is; how there was a bad Uncle that schooled him in bad ways as a youngster; how animal cruelty is worse than trans fats...... and that he's donating $1.2 m for a new animal shelter in Atlanta. Did I leave anything out?

yeah...'connecting the dots' has a nice ring!! I bet Oprah's schedulers are already mulling over several tentative dates for a big MV appearance!!!

Vick's Prison Sentence May Be Shortened

Posted Jan 5th 2008 5:15PM by JJ Cooper

Filed under: Falcons, Atlanta, NFL Police Blotter, Featured Stories

Michael Vick might be back sooner than we think.

Humane Society and PETA picketers better keep those posters ready, as there's a chance Michael Vick could be back on the field for the 2009 season.

Yahoo! Sports is reporting that the Falcons quarterback could end up serving as few as 12 months of his 23 month sentence thanks to his entry into a drug rehab program in prison. By connecting the dots, the story speculates that Vick could be back in the NFL for the 2009 season, as he would likely wrap up his sentence early next year.

Apparently the drug treatment program, which is only in place at the Leavenworth, Kan., federal penitentiary, allows inmates to wipe off up to a year of their sentence if they complete the drug treatment program. Vick has tested positive for marijuana, which ended up likely adding time to his prison sentence. But now that same drug test might end up helping him cut time from his current sentence.

Vick has to be in the program for a year, which apparently hasn't begun, so he's likely looking at a February or March 2009 release.

Now, there are several other obstacles to Vick getting back onto an NFL field. Commissioner Roger Goodell will have to end his indefinite suspension, he'll likely have to pass frequent drug tests, and probably most importantly, he'll have to find a team willing to have a dog killer on their roster, with all the bad publicity that will come with it.

But getting his prison sentence over six months or more before the 2009 season does make it much more likely that Vick will end up getting back onto the field.

I'm kind of indifferent to the MV story. Not that I don't think what he did was horrendous, but I'm neutral on whether he should be hounded the rest of his days. Even the Furies finally let up on poor Orestes. It is worth noting that there is a reasonable chance that Vick will still face state charges and spend time in jail if convicted on those.

Vick's Prison Sentence May Be Shortened

OK, now anyone that didn't see this one coming stand on your head.

Once again the celebrity gets the break while the regular working stiff would get hard time.

Nice. <_<

Edited by GoodSpeak

Florio of PFT is often wrong. He wrote a lot of dumb speculation about the Patriots, but he has some interesting comments about the Cowboys. I post this since we have a few Cowboy fans here. The last paragraph is really funny.

POSTED 2:16 p.m. EST, January 11, 2008

COWBOYS IMPLOSION COMING?

There's a sense in some league circles that, regardless of how the 2007 season turns out for the Dallas Cowboys, a decline is on the way.

As one source said, Dallas is "going to be a disaster within two years."

The problem? Per the source, owner/G.M. Jerry Jones is "believing it's about him again, just like he did when Jimmy Johnson brought them to the top."

The source predicts that former head coach Bill Parcells and former V.P. of college and pro scouting Jeff Ireland are "going to pick them clean," and that Jones is going to let it (continue to) happen, because Jones thinks he doesn't need them.

The result? "They'll go back to drafting Quincy Carter, Ebenezer Ekuban, Solomon Page, Dwayne Goodrich, Tony Dixon, and Antonio Bryant," opined the source.

The other concern is the approach of coach Wade Phillips. As the source observed, the "coach-lets-us-act-like-men" approach quickly results in the inmates running the prison.

It's hard to disagree. After all, would quarterback Tony Romo have taken a bye-week trip to Cabo San Lucas if the Tuna were still the head coach? Maybe, but Romo would be walking a little funny this week, given that he'd have Parcells shoe lodged into his descending colon.

Edited by connoisseur series500

The only negative is that it'll be staged in another of those domed (eg. MN, MI..) or Miamizonaesque settings when it should be held someplace like a Lambeau, Heinz, Cleveland or Arrowhead.... It's just wrong to be out there basking in the sun and sipping Corona Lites at the Super Palm-Frond Bowl. :crazy: Time to get real.

nfl_g_vinatieri1_195.jpg

Colts had a beat up San Diego team to defeat at home and laid a big egg.

Well, at least Tony Dungy got to rest all his players in the final regular season game against Tennessee! They lost the game and were flat as usual, but they got PLENTY of rest and gave a freebie to a hopeless Tennessee team. :wacko:

The only negative is that it'll be staged in another of those domed (eg. MN, MI..) or Miamizonaesque settings when it should be held someplace like a Lambeau, Heinz, Cleveland or Arrowhead.... It's just wrong to be out there basking in the sun and sipping Corona Lites at the Super Palm-Frond Bowl. :crazy: Time to get real.

nfl_g_vinatieri1_195.jpg

Gotta say that old Weiz is a wise man here. Screw the rich and beautiful in the stands. Give me a championship game played in football weather. :crazy:

Well the way it was looking there at the start of the 4th with that quick flurry of half-baked pass int. calls against SD, it looked as though the refs were determined to hand it to the Colts. :crazy:

I'm biased but it seems as if the Colts benefit from more half-baked pass interference calls than any other team in the league. I really wish the rules committee would revisit the pass interference rules. So many of those calls are borderline but the resulting penalty is huge.