turning the tables

alocispepraluger102

Nice! I've got a TD-160, and I absolutely love the table. It's a piece of art, AFAIC, and you'll spend hours being mesmerized by the ssllooww drop of the needle to the record. Sound is terrific, even though I'm running a (in my opinion) subpar ortofon cart. I'd like to switch for a Grado at some point.

Only drawback to the TD-160 is the lack of auto-shutoff, a problem you won't have with this unit. Fell asleep one night listening to a minty copy of Parlan's Movin' and Groovin'...woke up around 3:00 a.m. and realized the needle had been tracking in the runout groove for about 5 hours! :o:(

Have fun, report back when you get it and get it set up.

I have an 80's Denon direct drive and just purchased this Thorens last night from Vinyl Nirvana. Originally, I'd been looking for a refurbished AR ES-1 but .....well, stuff happens! :g

So how'd I do? Anyone ever owned one of these units?

I've got a Project - a nice little thing that plays shellac as well as vinyl.

MG

Will that TT work with any amp ?

It was 2002 when I bought it and I can't remember what the salesman said about compatibility. I should think it'll play with almost anything, because I've only got a bog-standard cheapo amp. I've got a piece of writing about it somewhere and I could look something up, if you like.

MG

My table has two arms!

twoarm2.jpg

I assume one does vinyl, the other shellac. I yank the needle out when I want to play a 78 (and take the platter off and wind the belt around a different gear thing and then put the platter back and change the speed to 45). Note how good I am at technical terms (the temperature today has been precisely jolly nice F - oh, and surprisingly, it's also been jolly nice C).

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

I've got a Project - a nice little thing that plays shellac as well as vinyl.

MG

Will that TT work with any amp ?

It was 2002 when I bought it and I can't remember what the salesman said about compatibility. I should think it'll play with almost anything, because I've only got a bog-standard cheapo amp. I've got a piece of writing about it somewhere and I could look something up, if you like.

MG

I'll PM you.

I have a pedestrian Technics direct drive that I got twenty years ago. Maybe one day I'll get a Rega. Maybe one day I'll upgrade the entire system.

My turntable platter mat has warped! Has anybody heard of that happening before?

I haven't found much on the internet to replace it with. I found an ebay seller with one for $14 including shipping. Any reason to think that one is any better than another?

edit for typo

Edited by GA Russell

I have a pedestrian Technics direct drive that I got twenty years ago. Maybe one day I'll get a Rega. Maybe one day I'll upgrade the entire system.

My turntable platter map has warped! Has anybody heard of that happening before?

I haven't found much on the internet to replace it with. I found an ebay seller with one for $14 including shipping. Any reason to think that one is any better than another?

Mine's felt. Easy enough to make, I should think.

MG