A new group! A new sound! A new setlist!

jazzypaul

Okay, so to prove I've completely lost my mind, I'm putting together a new project. Guitar, upright bass, and myself on bongos and congas. Hopefully, I'll get to add a soprano to the mix at some point, but first things first.

The book is already pretty big, and it's covering a lot of ground. A few standards, a few rarely played gems (Samba du Bois by Phil Woods, practically everything on Gary Burton's Duster and Lofty Fake Anagram records), a boatload of bossas and sambas and some originals.

The question is, if you were to either (a) play with a setup like that, or (b) go hear it, what would you want to hear or play?

We're looking to record in November (yippee!).

Any suggestions?

Okay, so to prove I've completely lost my mind, I'm putting together a new project. Guitar, upright bass, and myself on bongos and congas. Hopefully, I'll get to add a soprano to the mix at some point, but first things first.

The book is already pretty big, and it's covering a lot of ground. A few standards, a few rarely played gems (Samba du Bois by Phil Woods, practically everything on Gary Burton's Duster and Lofty Fake Anagram records), a boatload of bossas and sambas and some originals.

The question is, if you were to either (a) play with a setup like that, or (b) go hear it, what would you want to hear or play?

We're looking to record in November (yippee!).

Any suggestions?

I would like to hear Black Sabbath tunes! But that is just me....

But seriously, sounds like a very cool project. Play what you love...love what you play. Can't wait to hear the record!!

:excited:

But seriously, sounds like a very cool project. Play what you love...love what you play. Can't wait to hear the record!!

Hey, I agree with Greg on this - cool sounding project - and don't disregard a Sabbath tune.

I'm tellin' ya - if you've got the chops and you can fit the sound to the style,

then you'll get some attention. For me, tired old standards and "common" tunes getting a well-done makeover

makes me as happy as jelly pie! There's already an Indian (Hindi) version (sitar, tabla...) of Sabbath out

as well as Sex Pistols and a few other wonderful absurdities (Dead Kennedys, et al.) that leave a lasting impression.

Gotta love that Nouvelle Vague for what they do too - "new wave" in English and "bossa nova" in Portuguese -

taking popular 80's new wave hits and doin' a Brazilian pop workover to them.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

Hey, I agree with Greg on this - cool sounding project - and don't disregard a Sabbath tune.

I'm tellin' ya - if you've got the chops and you can fit the sound to the style,

then you'll get some attention. For me, tired old standards and "common" tunes getting a well-done makeover

makes me as happy as jelly pie! There's already an Indian (Hindi) version (sitar, tabla...) of Sabbath out

as well as Sex Pistols and a few other wonderful absurdities (Dead Kennedys, et al.) that leave a lasting impression.

Gotta love that Nouvelle Vague for what they do too - "new wave" in English and "bossa nova" in Portuguese -

pop tunes I know we're doing as of the moment:

Eyes of the World (Grateful Dead)

Signe (Eric Clapton)

We're Gonna Groove (Led Zeppelin)

Black Sabbath wise, I'd love to do Changes. Greg, if you heard my last band's disc, then you know I'm perfectly willing to do Metallica tunes in a jazz format. And speaking thereof, I've had a hard-on for Disposable Heroes (Master of Puppets) for a long time now.

Thanks for the tips, gents!

And Sal, some Inventions and Dimensions stuff would be hip!

pop tunes I know we're doing as of the moment:

Eyes of the World (Grateful Dead)

Signe (Eric Clapton)

We're Gonna Groove (Led Zeppelin)

Black Sabbath wise, I'd love to do Changes. Greg, if you heard my last band's disc, then you know I'm perfectly willing to do Metallica tunes in a jazz format. And speaking thereof, I've had a hard-on for Disposable Heroes (Master of Puppets) for a long time now.

Thanks for the tips, gents!

And Sal, some Inventions and Dimensions stuff would be hip!

Ted Nugent's

Stranglehold and Cat Scratch Fever

Rush

Priests Of Syrinx

XTC

Snowman

Dying

:cool:

Being a percusionist like you, I don't find that kind of line-up strange - one of my last bands was flute or soprano, guitar, and percussion; the next had a violin for the reed player. Try to play/write original that suit yout particular strengths, especially as far as rhythm is concerned, and try to conceive new arrangements of familiar tunes - some suggestions:

Ellington's "in a sentimental mood" at bossa nova tempo and feel;

Duke's "It don't mean a thing" over Bembé type rhythms;

try Cal Tjader tunes, Monk tunes, anything.

Try to keep each tune different from the others, make the set as variable as possible, and give all members equal solo space - and let the guitar and bass play riffs behind your percussion solos! Maybe on a bell or whatever - I trained my fellow musicians to do so. Don't be afraid to throw in pieces that only two of you play - in any combination.

Good luck, and let us hear the results!

Everything on Burrell's Midnight Blue.

It's a little too obvious but I would be excited to hear someone playing those tunes.

I was going to say "Chitlins con carne" and "Wavy gravy". Perfect for your present instrumentation.

There are also a couple of good Joe Henderson grooves that sound like they might have potential: "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" and "Caribbean fire dance".

MG

Since you seem to be quite adventurous and not constrained buy tradition of any sort, why not try something that's unexpected. For instance, totally rearrange a Steely Dan tune for your instrumentation. "Aja" would be very cool. Or boil down something like "Chameleon" to it's lowest common denominator? I know these suggestions probably seem a bit whacked, but what the hell. Personally, I always enjoy seeing a small group of musicians make a big sound if you know what I mean?