Bobby Hutcherson

Late

hutche_bobb_component_101b.jpg

While some titles on Blue Note are discontinued after only being available for roughly two years, Hutcherson's Components, from the innaugral Blue Note Connoisseur batch, is now in its eleventh year of being in-print. Any guesses as to why? Well, for one, the music is excellent ... but does this title sell that well?

I always forget that Herbie Hancock plays organ (on "Air" only) on this one. The liner notes don't make any mention at all of this — was this Hancock's first documented recording on the instrument?

Another plus to this session — those Joe Chambers compositions are wicked. I wonder if Hall Overton, Chambers' recent mentor at the time, heard this album. Apparently, there was another composer in the Chambers family: Steve Chambers, Joe's older brother. Anyone know anything about this guy?

Another plus to this session — those Joe Chambers compositions are wicked. I wonder if Hall Overton, Chambers' recent mentor at the time, heard this album. Apparently, there was another composer in the Chambers family: Steve Chambers, Joe's older brother. Anyone know anything about this guy?

I don't know the answers to any of your questions, but I agree - the Joe Champers compositions are a big plus on this date.

I've always wondered about Components myself--it's probably my favorite Hutch BN, acting as a sort of cross-section of his two, extremely distinct personalities (the free guy and the modal/post-bop guy). One could spring for an album that integrated the two--e.g., Dialogue--but I think the peaks and troughs here are really something else. That second side--with the out Joe Chambers compositions--is as free-spirited and searching as anything the extended modal BN family ever waxed (up there with the whole Moncur discography, if I do say so m'self). Upside, though, is that side one features some of Bobby's best compositions and some terrific straight-ahead ensemble interplay--James Spaulding and Freddie Hubbard, playing at the peak. There's just a sense of fun and joie de vivre to these sessions that I find on far, far too few records these days.

It's a great album, about time I played it again.

After finally getting my hands on Total Eclipse today the only Hutcherson BN

disc that I still need is Live At Montreux - and despite looking for it all over

amazon and eBay for weeks I still haven't found a copy for a decent price.

The best offer right now is a ridiculous $75 from an amazon marketplace seller... :angry:

It's a great album, about time I played it again.

After finally getting my hands on Total Eclipse today the only Hutcherson BN

disc that I still need is Live At Montreux - and despite looking for it all over

amazon and eBay for weeks I still haven't found a copy for a decent price.

The best offer right now is a ridiculous $75 from an amazon marketplace seller... :angry:

Kyo,

I don't post messages often, so I don't know if this is appropriate or not (please let me know if it is not) but I have a copy of Live At Montreux that I don't play much that I would sell you if you are interested. PM or e-mail me if you would like.

Nick

Following that logic, wouldn't the West Coast Classics series be easy to find? Every rant I've ever read about that series makes them out to be the worst selling line of all time.

Of course, the music is great ...

My guess is the WC series sold so poorly in the first pressing they declined a second and threw out the printed material.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

I believe Chuck is right. Connoisseurs are limited to two pressings. They are not required to have two pressings.

It should also be noted that the reason some Connoisseur CDs are scarce, like "The All Seeing Eye", "Basra" and "Lee Way", is because that whole batch of titles (6 in all?) had multiple pressing defects and the large return rate pretty much sucked up the whole first pressing.

As for those West Coast Classic, I told Blue Note at the time of their release that something happened and the market was absolutely flooded with saw-cut promos for those titles. There was a time when it would have been very hard to find a real copy in a Boston-area store. These promos clearly stole a lot of "legit" CD sales.

Kevin

As for those West Coast Classic, I told Blue Note at the time of their release that something happened and the market was absolutely flooded with saw-cut promos for those titles. There was a time when it would have been very hard to find a real copy in a Boston-area store. These promos clearly stole a lot of "legit" CD sales.

Kevin

I can vouch for this since I was living in Boston at this time. There were so many cutouts at used stores that I figured I could get them at anytime I wanted to. Of course, the supply dried out eventually and I had to scramble late to find some of these titles (Curtis Amy's Katanga, for one).

Like a trooper, dumb or sincere, I payed full price for every West Coast Classics title, partly because I couldn't find them on sale anywhere, and partly because I actually thought: "If Blue Note's going to reissue this stuff, I'm going to give them my money."

(Tries to verify memory ...)

Wait a minute — I did buy two of them on sale through Dusty Groove. Still, it's good to own the whole lot, and I'm glad they could make an appearance. I have a friend in SF who only casually likes jazz, and he bought the Cy Touff title on my recommendation and loves it.

Now ... back to Hutcherson's Components. What do you guys think of Herbie's organ playing?