The Last Active Survivors Of The 1930s

Scott Yanow

As far as I know, there are just 14 jazz musicians/singers who recorded before 1940 and are still active. I know that Lena Horne, Kay Starr and Lawrence Lucie are probably retired but since I haven't heard anything official, they are still on this list. Although one could argue that none are still in their playing prime (since the 1930s did end 67 years ago), Franz Jackson and Al Gallodoro are still playing great (Gallodoro is a true marvel), Cachao and Les Paul still sound good and Herb Jeffries, who I believe is 94, still sounds like he's 64.

Feel free to come up with additions, but remember, they have to have recorded before 1940 (Jay McShann made his recording debut that year).

Svend Asmussen

Cachao

Al Gallodoro

Lena Horne

Franz Jackson

Herb Jeffries

Lawrence Lucie

Buddy Morrow

Les Paul

George Shearing

Kay Starr

Gerald Wilson

Snooky Young

Zeke Zarchey

There is no one left from the 1920s. Violinist Claude Williams, who died a couple of years ago, was the last one.

Johnny Frigo is not listed on any dates before 1940 in the Brian Rust discographies. I don't know about whether Jack Butler is alive and active.

I do hope that you guys can come up with some people to add to this list, but so far it looks doubtful.

So let's celebrate these jazz greats while they are still with us. With a few additions from 1940-44 (like Jay McShann) and a few who are inactive (Martha Tilton), this is what is left of the swing era.