R 'n R Hall of Fame nominees 2007

danasgoodstuff

I'm surprised nobody's posted here to complain, er comment, on the recently announced nominees for induction in 2007. Let's see if I can remember - Van Halen, REM, the Stooges, the Ronettes, Chic, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, and Joe Tex. Funny thing about most of the comments I've seen on the web, just goes to show their taste is even worser than the Hall's... If it were my Hall the only ones from that list who'd make it would be Joe Tex and the Ronettes, maybe.

Chic was badass. Listen to the bottom and not the top.

Agreed. I don't have a problem with that list. I'd really like to see Grandmaster Flash get it. If anyone deserves to get in, he does. Which raises the question: How many hip hop artists are in the R&R Hall of Fame? How many are MCs? How many are DJs?

I don't have a problem with anyone on that list. I'll probably get a lot of shit for this, but I think Van Halen was a pretty amazing guitar player. (Can't say is because I haven't heard anything he's done since the early 80s.)

I feel the same way. Gawd, those Stooges albums still have power today. I love I.R.S. era jangly mumbly R.E.M. All the other respectable acts mentioned have something to offer. And as for Van Halen, it was what it was, and they paid some dues playing high schools & bars and such for almost 8 years before they broke out. As you say, Eddie could play and they sure had the classic cartoonish pothead womanizing lead singer that one would expect for that kind of band out of LA. :lol: It's rock 'n' roll, and that sort thing should be represented.

Remember what slick Mick said: "It's only rock and roll, but I like it." I don't care much for some of these groups, but in the context of r and r, many of them are quite influential, and they certainly filled arenas with hungry audiences. Eddie VH. set the mark for lead guitar in his day--much as David Lee Roth set the mark for ass revealing spandex. Michael Stipe led the way for confessional rock, seminal in the eighties, and so on.

Rock is a huge, multiheaded hydra of a monster. Groups you hadn' t heard of last week are suddenly superstars. Then you're only as good as your last hit--or next one. Remember, "it's better to burn out than to fade away." Or in Eddie's case, get hip replacement surgery.

Every new Stones cd is their best in years.

Rock is often a flash in the pan genre, one more easily manipulated by corporate interests and band interests in bucks, booze, and broads. The hall of fame is really just another self-serving device, much as the MTV awards or, as has been pointed out, the oscars.

Don't get me wrong: I love all sorts of rock from the last 50 years. Elvis, Little Richard, The Beatles, the Stones, the Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix, the Clash, and, currently, Pearl Jam. But there's so much fluff.

Anyone here gonna watch it?

How could I forget the DC5? When I was a kis I thought it was the coolest thing that they toured in their own MacDonald Dougls DC5 Airplane. My fav was "Catch Us If You Can", the rest was a nice clatterly racquet, v. 1964. Weren't they the only big Brit Invasion group with a sax player as a regular part of the band?

I wish I still had The Beatles vs The Dave Clark Five, a pulpy one-off magazine that came out sometime in 1964. It was intentionally slanted to make the DC5 look like heroes & The Beatles to look like bums. No idea who published it, but it made me madder than hell when I was 8. Now, I think it would be one of the funniest things I owned, if I still owned it.

I wish I still had The Beatles vs The Dave Clark Five, a pulpy one-off magazine that came out sometime in 1964. It was intentionally slanted to make the DC5 look like heroes & The Beatles to look like bums. No idea who published it, but it made me madder than hell when I was 8. Now, I think it would be one of the funniest things I owned, if I still owned it.

No doubt that would be a treasure. I still remember reading a fan magazine around the time of Revolver that had a picture of the Beatles with a copy of Aftermath and a caption to the effect of coming up with some original ideas. still not sure which way that irony was supposed to cut...

I remember seeing Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers do a song a Shindig. I liked it. I was sorry that I never saw anything of theirs in the record stores. To my knowledge they never received airplay in the US.

Shortly thereafter their bass player left to join The Searchers, who IMO should also be in the HOF.