Some Inner City albums that were recorded for the label:

Ted Curson 'Jubilant Power'

Eddie Jefferson 'The Main Man'

David Friesen 'Waterfall Rainbow'

There are others....

Warne Marsh "Tenor Gladness"

There was also a Pony Poindexter.

• 2 weeks later...

The thread on Zoot Sims reminded me that Inner City distributed the Choice label. Interesting, eclectic artist mix: I remember Joanne Brackeen (a great duet album with Eddie Gomez) and Sal Mosca. Sound quality left a lot to be desired.

And yes, overall, Inner City pressings were from hunger: crackly, warped and off-center.

• 13 years later...
On 05/12/2006 at 6:39 PM, Clunky said:

I stand corrected. great session even if Lew and Warne didn't see eye to eye.

This is a comment from a long time ago, but does anyone know to what it refers? I have the record and found the liner notes odd in their emphasis on the opposition between the approaches of the two players.

"Apparently"...Warne gave Lew some vibe/shade/whatever at one point (maybe at the session itself?) for playing "black style" when he was not black.

Both Lee & Warne took pride in that they developed their own original, personal voices that didn't copy black voices. Inspired by, yes. Copied, no.

• 10 months later...
23 minutes ago, bresna said:

Lew Tabackin's FB page mentions that his meeting with Warne, "Tenor Gladness", finally came out on CD in Japan.

product image 1

Here ‘tis…

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/106220

Been tempted by it on a couple Dusty orders since it came out 2 (or 3?) months ago, but pricier than I wanted to spend (at $23) — but I’d probably jump on a used copy for $15 or so.

To the best of my knowledge, here are a few more Inner City "originals" -- releases that weren't leased from another label:

- John Stowell - Golden Delicious

- Ray Mantilla - Mantilla

- Bill O'Connell - Searching

All relatively obscure, but some darn good records, IMO.

I bet there are more.

29 minutes ago, unitstructures said:

Wasn't Sun Ra's Cosmos album an Inner City original?

Per Discogs, Cosmos was released on Cobra -- a French label that I've never heard of -- a year before the Inner City release.  So my GUESS would be... probably not.

Regardless of the original label, the music is OUTSTANDING.  :) 

Edited by HutchFan

31 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Sun Ra Live at Montreux was also an Inner City original.  I know Wikipedia says it was originally on Saturn, but it's doubtful many saw that issue.

Uh .. if it did originally come out on Saturn, then by definition it is not an IC original. The number of people who actually saw it doesn't change that.

Now the question is- did it actually come out on Saturn at all?