BFT 43 Sign-Up Thread

RDK

I have successfully downloaded both sets. Can somebody remind me how to convert them to wave files so I can play them in my car?

itunes will do it, but you need to get the settings right and I'm not sure - it's in the help file though. Ahead Nero does it without me thinking about it, I'm glad to say :D

MG

Thanks, Ray - I've downloaded both with no problems and played a little bit to make sure they're okay. Sounds good. It's good to hear that you are sold on the notion. FLAC would take about four times as long I have roughly worked out - too long?

The reason I asked is because I do not intend to compile again and would not feel right just receiving discs. I know it is felt in some quarters that just to participate is enough and that's fine too I guess.

Would it not be better for any download links to be sent in emails or PM's rather than put in posts though?Presumably posted links can be used by anyone, even non-members just looking. Like that you could keep track of participants too. Some sites have a limit on the number of times files can be downloaded I think.

Rodney

Great to hear that everything's running smoothly so far.

As for FLAC, I'd prefer it too, but the files are much bigger and could be a problem if anyone's still on dial-up. More to the point, I didn't use it this time for the simple fact that i was in a hurry, didn't have the Flac program handy (while I did have iTunes), and I didn't think as many participants would be familiar with Flac (or the decoding of) as they would be with the more common mp3 format. I'm all for using Flac in the future, but I'm not sure if it's really necessary. I'm curious what everyone thinks of the sound quality of these tracks (albeit they are all vinyl sourced). I used the 192 setting in iTunes (and ironically, I've never used iTunes to rip/burn before).

I was concerned about the posting of the links here (rather than by PM), but since i kinda changed the "rules" at the last minute - hey, it was your fault! :lol: - I thought it would be faster and less confusing this way. I did PM Jim that i was doing so and to remove the links if he objected, but i have yet to hear back. In any case, I'll be removing the files in just a week or two, so this should still be pretty much limited to only those reading this thread.

As of now, it looks like there have been 14 downloads of disc 1 (A) and 12 of disc 2 (B). (Maybe a couple of you didn't like what you heard after the first one. :lol: )

If anyone can't get the downloads to work, please let me know asap and I'll send the discs out to you. Otherwise I'll start a discussion thread on Tuesday. Heck, if anyone's eager to talk, we can get one going now, but i figure most of you have better things to do until Christmas is over.

Happy Holidays everyone!

I for one haven't got anything better to do over Christmas than listen to these discs - in fact, I've already done so and comments are more or less prepared. My best Christmas present, although I can't say the competition was all that hot. Certainly nothing not to like on either; good variety, something for everyone and it's always interesting to hear kinds of music one doesn't usually listen to isn't it?

So ready to go whenever you are, Ray.

Rodney

Edited by tooter

Oh, hello, i forgot to post...

both files are fine and mikeweil will get them tomorrow, when we meet. I had a little "peep-in" ... some tunes are very nice. I still have to convert them (i have a portable CD-player which reads mp3 directly, so i can listen to the tunes in the car or if my nephews and nieces listen to their "boom-tack"-music :D i take the phones and listen to the "balsamic" jazz-music!!!).

As you started a kind of discussion... I am not a big friend of mp3... flac would be better (for me), but data-volume is still a factor (okay, i have flat-rate and dsl, no problem for me). But... my two cents to this :)

with regards

Mr. Bassman (who has still to complete the answer-list *ducknhide*....)

Glad I looked in!

Hence the: "IMPORTANT CHANGES - PLEASE READ!" :lol:

Just a bump for any more stragglers, though it looks like a few more people have downloaded than signed up for the BFT in the first place.

Post away, guys, whenever you're ready...

I'm on!

Have not taken in the BFT for some time with my realization that I just can't compete. :D

But how easy was this - all loaded up and no muss no fuss ... now a " dirty" red card for tossing that asburger boy at the end of it all. :g And I promise I won't make you go to Ameoba this time.

So can we do this upload thing from now on? I get a month or so to figure out how it's done.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bump to say that I'll be deleting the downloadable files in just a few more days so get 'em while you still can.

Though the comments have been relatively few so far, the downloading seems to have gone without a hitch. I'm not sure if this is an "easier" way of distribution or not - it was for me at least - but many more seem to have downloaded the files than initially signed up for the BFT, suggesting that the ease and/or lack of commitment had something to do with it. Before the download distribution began, 16 people had signed up for BFT 43. As it stands now, the files have been downloaded 39 times (disc 1) and 42 times (disc 2). A few people "signed up" afterward and a couple others reported the need to d/l disc 2 a few times to account for the disparity in the number of downloads (either that, or they grabbed disc 2 first and really hated it :lol: ).

Overall, I'd call this downloading "experiment" a success.