Where's Christiern?

Big Al

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pssttt, comrade... Charlie Parker's Complete Dial and Savoy Masters.

Big Al, this is sound advice. Though the wealth of false starts, breakdowns, and alternate takes can sometimes be tedious, this is an excellent document of the master. I got this one when I still lived in Florida many years ago, and I still consider it one of the "must have" boxes in my collection.

Where do you stand on folks like Eric Dolphy and Ornette?

I believe Red is talking about the 3-CD set of just the master takes, not the 8-CD "complete" sessions. Either way, it is sound advice indeed.

My feelings on Ornette are about the same as Bird's: I appreciate and respect him for what he accomplished, but that doesn't make me wanna listen to him all that much.

Dolphy, OTOH, is too far out there for me to comprehend, much less grasp. I've tried over the years, and have come to the conclusion that there is music out there that I actually ENJOY listening to, so why keep torturing myself?

Dolphy, OTOH, is too far out there for me to comprehend, much less grasp. I've tried over the years, and have come to the conclusion that there is music out there that I actually ENJOY listening to, so why keep torturing myself?

I take it you don't have much appreciation for the FreeJazz movement?

It's difficult to grasp, indeed. And I don't mean that in a condescending way.

It's like Frank Zappa said, "either you get it, or you don't".

I didn't at first, Al. But when I got Coltrane's VV boxset, and popped in that first disc, it was some kind of revelation. The first track is India. As I was listening to it all I could think was "this is the most bizarre horseshit I've ever heard".

But when it was over I just HAD to go back and listen to it again! After that, I was hooked. Hard to explain.

Have you heard anything from that box?

He does have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to this music. And it's a treat when he talks about it.

But I don't get the whole politics thing. Did he ever really talk about politics here? He never did on JC. Just posted NYT op-ed after NYT op-ed. He started so many different "Bush is a moron" threads over there that even the libs were begging him to settle down.

Edited by Scott Dolan

I think it borders on ridiculous how territorial people can be when it comes to forums like these.

Scott has done nothing to warrant any kind of special new post restrictions. In fact, he's been nothing but level-headed and logical, which probably makes those that disagree with him even more pissy.

Personally, I find it silly that Chris decided to leave, but that's the way it goes.

The more important question to me is why Weizen isn't posting much in the politics forum nowadays. :P

The more important question to me is why Weizen isn't posting much in the politics forum nowadays. :P

He's consoling himself by pretending to be peeling onions.

He'll be right back as soon as the Dems do something stupid. (About three weeks to the opening of the new Congress, isn't it?)

MG

He does have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to this music. And it's a treat when he talks about it.

Pity he rarely indulged it over the years. Honestly, if it wasn't for the two red flags that I mentioned in the first post, I'da just guessed he was still doing nothing but posting Dowd/Krugman/Friedman articles in the politics forum.

Edited by Big Al

In fact, he's been nothing but level-headed and logical

I disagree, but he certainly has not been mean in any way. The lefties have exhibited far worse behavior on occasion.

Its amazing to look at the politics forum at AAJ. The entire thing is NYT op-eds. Most of which arent that insightful anyways. I would take news articles and book over Op-Eds everyday of the week. I never understood why Chris was so enamored of them.

Its amazing to look at the politics forum at AAJ. The entire thing is NYT op-eds. Most of which arent that insightful anyways. I would take news articles and book over Op-Eds everyday of the week. I never understood why Chris was so enamored of them.

Chris posted these NYT op-eds as a public service to members who did not have full access to those editorials!

Not buying into junk science to validate my own opinions doesn't exactly preclude me from being level-headed and logical.

Buying, overnight, into a number 6 times greater than the one you had believed in the day before doesn't seem very logical, IMO. Possibly bordering on hysteria.

Point proven. Thanks, Scott!

Chris posted these NYT op-eds as a public service to members who did not have full access to those editorials!

Great, where can I upload my Organissimo recordings as a public service for the people who dont have full acces to them?