Happy Birthday, Ghost of Miles

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks to all of you. It was an interesting day... we had breakfast this morning at Ladyman's, a wonderful throwback kind of family diner here in downtown Bloomington that's being forced out of business after nearly 50 years by a new landlord. Bought a huge Christmas tree and lugged it home by hand and foot--it's the first tree we've had in this house. Then up to Indianapolis for a great conversation & coffee/sandwich with a couple of board members (Joe, I hope I didn't talk your ear off!). After that we visited my mom's gravesite for the first time since the funeral; the marker finally got delivered about a month ago. Emotionally difficult, to say the least--I had Comden & Green's 1960 cast recording of "Some Other Time" stuck in my head all day after taping a Betty Comden tribute the other night, and that song now triggers a whole host of feelings about mortality and loss. Afterwards we had a great dinner with my dad and my grandmother (still going strong as a ragtime pianist/performer at age 88). Now back in B-town and listening to more J.R. Monterose (man, I'd forgotten what a great record Kenny Dorham's ROUND MIDNIGHT AT CAFE BOHEMIA is) in preparation for a show.

Very grateful, as always, for this board & the friendship, knowledge, and camaraderie--jazz and otherwise--that it offers. Salutes and salutations all around "at the swingin' party down the line."

Many thanks to all of you. It was an interesting day... we had breakfast this morning at Ladyman's, a wonderful throwback kind of family diner here in downtown Bloomington that's being forced out of business after nearly 50 years by a new landlord. Bought a huge Christmas tree and lugged it home by hand and foot--it's the first tree we've had in this house. Then up to Indianapolis for a great conversation & coffee/sandwich with a couple of board members (Joe, I hope I didn't talk your ear off!). After that we visited my mom's gravesite for the first time since the funeral; the marker finally got delivered about a month ago. Emotionally difficult, to say the least--I had Comden & Green's 1960 cast recording of "Some Other Time" stuck in my head all day after taping a Betty Comden tribute the other night, and that song now triggers a whole host of feelings about mortality and loss. Afterwards we had a great dinner with my dad and my grandmother (still going strong as a ragtime pianist/performer at age 88). Now back in B-town and listening to more J.R. Monterose (man, I'd forgotten what a great record Kenny Dorham's ROUND MIDNIGHT AT CAFE BOHEMIA is) in preparation for a show.

Very grateful, as always, for this board & the friendship, knowledge, and camaraderie--jazz and otherwise--that it offers. Salutes and salutations all around "at the swingin' party down the line."

Sounds like you had a good birthday. Here's to many more!

(And man I love "Some Other Time",I guess because of Bill Evans. It always drives me nuts that they don't sing it in the film version of On the Town-- though as I remember the score does hint at it.)

(And man I love "Some Other Time",I guess because of Bill Evans. It always drives me nuts that they don't sing it in the film version of On the Town-- though as I remember the score does hint at it.)

They threw out a lot of Bernstein's music--I'm not sure why--and had Richard Edens write some new songs w/Comden & Green. That 1960 recording w/Comden, Green, and a couple of the other original cast members is really nice, though. (And of course SOT is what Bill Evans was improvising off of when he came up with "Peace Piece.")

• 5 years later...