The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus

mausoleum.gif

The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus

colossus.gif

The Colossus of Rhodes

pharos.gif

The Lighthouse of Alexandria

How do you improve on that?!

The Great Wall is an amazing feat of engineering, and had the ancients known of it, they might well have included it. The problem with the more modern "wonders" is that their construction is not a mystery to us. When the ancients compiled their list, they had good reason to call these structures "wonders." They were so vast, so complex, that their construction seemed feats of magic as much as engineering. But the Statue of Liberty? The Eiffel Tower? Even the Taj Mahal and the Kremlin? Beautiful buildings, no doubt, but hardly "wonders." They may inspire admiration, but do they inspire the kind of awe that the Lighthouse of Phaeros inspired in those who lived in Alexandria?

I might give a bye to Ankor Watt or Stonehenge. Even the statues of Easter Island. Again, these are ancient structures that the ancients themselves might have included in their list. But I can't include modern structures. We know too much about their builders.

I assumed that everybody should have his seven wonders, no matters what some experts decide for you. So the seven place I was most emotionally impressed , not in an exact order (and there are many more I could add and at the moment I don't remember), are:

King's Valley because I sensed the Passing of Time. (Egypt)

Auschwitz and Birkenau where I sensed the meaning of 'Evil' (Poland)

the Maya city of Tikal because I loved walking in the jungle between monkeys, parrots and toucans looking for the temples (Guatemala).

The 1000 buddhist temples of Bagan because I climbed on almost all of them and everytime was a new experience (Burma)

Madikwe Park at the sunset when wild animals go to water (S.Africa)

Dolomiti Mountains because is where my dad teached to me to love mountainering (Italy)

Coral Reef of South Egypt because I discovered the underwater world

About the Colosseum, nice place, five minutes walk from my house ;)

Edited by porcy62

The Great Wall was constructed over a period of many centuries starting from the three kingdoms period and completed by the Mings, some 2000 years later in the 17th century. Most of the current Great Wall is built by the Mings and much of the parts built earlier during Qin and three kingdoms period, using wood, small stones and mud, has crumbled away apparently.

Frankly, I'd rather substitute the Great Wall with the Mogao Grottoes (Thousand Buddha Caves). IMO, as awe inspiring if not more.

http://www.chinatravel.com/china-travel-gu.../dunhuang.shtml

Edited by LAL

The 1000 buddhist temples of Bagan because I climbed on almost all of them and everytime was a new experience (Burma)

Yes, the Pagan temples are often overlooked perhaps because no single temple quite ranks as one of the 7 Wonders (magnificent as they may be.) The city of Pagan and all its temples definitely enters my top 7. Wonderous place....

Edited by connoisseur series500

Yes, the Pagan temples are often overlooked perhaps because no single temple quite ranks as one of the 7 Wonders (magnificent as they may be.) The city of Pagan and all its temples definitely enters my top 7. Wonderous place....

Here are some pics I took in Bagan/Pagan in 2001. Bagan is an amazing place.

ROLL4DX-36.JPG

ROLL1DX-23.JPG

ROLL4DX-35.JPG

ROLL4DX-31.JPG

ROLL1DX-22.JPG

• 2 months later...

I like Porcy's list. But most, I like the IDEA behind it.

My places would be small places that no one has photographed, I suspect.

The Battling Siki Bar, in St Louis, Senegal. (Actually, I think I have a photo of Archie Shepp there.)

Kolmanskop, Namibia - a ghost town that was based on diamonds - here's a shot

namluderitz10.jpg

A certain corner of the Gyokusen-en garden, Kanazawa, Japan

That'll do for the time being.

MG