UK editions of Prestige/New Jazz LP's

Peter A

A couple of days ago the Esquire (and other) editions of Prestige LP's were discussed in the "what vinyl are you spinning" thread. Not only the sound quality of these UK pressings seems to be very good, some also appear to have interesting - different - cover art.

Here are some of the alternative jackets; feel free to post more!

MJ11913B.JPG

MJ11878B.JPG

MJ11855B.JPG

MJ11720B.JPG

MJ11719B.JPG

......Reporting In !

Yep, I've got a number of them. Unfortunately no cover art samples that I can post, at this time. Particular faves:

The various Dolphy's - 'Out There', 'Outward Bound' and 'Five Spot Vol 1'

Webster Young's 'For Lady' - issued under Paul Quinichette's name and with cover art by Brit drummer John Marshall !

The Elmo Hope 'Informal Jazz'

Mal Waldron's 'Impressions' (moody coastal shot)

Steve Lacy 'Soprano Sax' (pretty rare one this, I think).

Sound-wise my fave at the moment is the Roland Kirk 'Kirk's Work'. HUGE sound. :tup

Edited by sidewinder

was there a particular reason for the different covers on the uk editions? were the covers done by the brits themselves? did prestige just sell them the rights to the music and thats it, or something? or is there a specific reason, like with the genesis album Three Sides Live, in the USA it was 3 sides live + 1 studio side, but in the UK they already released the studio side as an EP so they had an extra 4th side that had a live version of 'one for the vine' on it.....

badbossanovasleevev7md0.jpg

Isn't that the BAAAAADDDDDDESSSSSTTTTT!!!!!

MG

Has it been through a pulveriser? :g

All the Esquire LPs I've ever had have been severely partied over - sleeves as well as the vinyl! And quite right too, considering the music therein!

Bad bossa nova

Hip twist

Sit down and relax with Jimmy Forrest

New scene of King Curtis

a few others I can't think of just at the moment.

MG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You may be interested to know that several Prestiges were issued in (West) Germany in the 60s, by MPS or SABA, I think. They were magnificent pressings, in the Deutsche Grammophon vein; thick vinyl, with plastic-lined sleeves, way better quality than what Bob Weinstock put out. It's been awhile, but I think the cover art was different from that on the U.S. releases.

You may be interested to know that several Prestiges were issued in (West) Germany in the 60s, by MPS or SABA, I think. They were magnificent pressings, in the Deutsche Grammophon vein; thick vinyl, with plastic-lined sleeves, way better quality than what Bob Weinstock put out. It's been awhile, but I think the cover art was different from that on the U.S. releases.

I've got one or two. "Soul happenin'" by Don Patterson has the original PR artwork. So did the Frank Foster I used to have - "Soul outing". Can't remember what else I've got/had of those, but I never saw any without the original artwork.

MG