Roland Kirk

Late

Before Rahsaan was appended to his name, he was Roland Kirk — and, evidently, was originally Ronald Kirk! After a search, I noticed there was no "Artists" thread on one of the greatest to ever play a wind instrument. Two random thoughts to get things started:

• Kirk is effin' amazing on "Hog Calling Blues" from Oh Yeah!. Very few tunes can get the heart pumping like that one.

• Kirk's composition "Now Please Don't You Cry, Beautiful Edith" has got to have lyrics. The opening line syllabically matches the title. It's also one of Kirk's most moving performances. Check out the head of steam he generates shortly after the "ballad" opening, going from "pretty" playing to quite an intense growl. Very few horn players could get away with that and have it make sense.

Other thoughts, favorites?

Check out the head of steam he generates shortly after the "ballad" opening, going from "pretty" playing to quite an intense growl. Very few horn players could get away with that and have it make sense.

in a similar vein, check out how he goes from utterly sweet to growling thunder after the long held note on "Blue Roll" from the same album. Amazing stuff that makes my hairs tingle everytime I hear it.

I've always been very partial to Kirk's 'Slightly Latin' (Limelight) - the last of the albums from the Mercury years and included on that sublime Mercury 10CD box set.

The Mexican-inspired material is fairly crazy and there's frequent interjections from Kirk vocals, noise boxes, kazoos etc. but the whole thing grooves. Horace Parlan is at his funkiest best and the lineup is interesting (with Martin Banks featured on flugel). A period piece for sure but an amusing and satisfying album.

Another obscure one from later in Kirk's career is 'Other Folks Music'. Again, fine lineups with Hilton Ruiz and Trudy Pitts (including some of their own material). This was after the stroke I think but Kirk plays with great feeling.

I've always been very partial to Kirk's 'Slightly Latin' (Limelight) — the last of the albums from the Mercury years.

Sidewinder, you just named my very favorite Kirk record. There's not a track I don't like. It's absolutely sublime in a way that only Roland Kirk could fashion. Never has "Walk on By" been so hip.

"Mañana!"

That version of 'Walk on By' is amazing. Love that cool trombone intro !

It gets a pretty cursory writeup in the booklet with the Mercury set and Kirk's Mercury contract expired soon after.

Is that a Flash Gordon voicebox doing the vocal recitation at the end of one of the tracks? (just before the "Mañana") :D

Edited by sidewinder

Nice one, Late. I love pre-Rahsaan Roland Kirk--I've always sworn by The Inflated Tear (featuring the rather underrated rhythm team of Steve Novosel and Jimmy Hopps--there in fine form), among other classics. The raw, greasy excitement of those early sides is what really grips me. Rahsaan was celestial, a man (in pseudo-Blues Brothers terms) "on a mission from the spirits"... Roland Kirk was sheer, unmitigated virtuosity, and--so much more--that rare breed of wildly entertaining genius. I wish we could bottle all that up and spray it on the neocons...

Another obscure one from later in Kirk's career is 'Other Folks Music'. Again, fine lineups with Hilton Ruiz and Trudy Pitts (including some of their own material). This was after the stroke I think but Kirk plays with great feeling.

Other Folk... was pre-stroke, I believe. The post-stroke scortcher was Boogie-Woogie String Along For Real--now that's a miracle on wheels, if I've ever heard one. Oooooh make me--a pallet on the floor... (ooon the floor)

Edited by ep1str0phy

'Bout time there was a thread devoted to that monster musician!

Kirk recorded a lot of superb albums in the studios but he was never better than in front of a live audience.

All those live dates are to be heard.

A couple of favorites are Volunteered Slavery from - at least one half - the 1968 Newport festival and I, Eye, Aye from the 1972 Montreux festival!

Warner Brothers.

I pretty much agree about the last two, but the first one is actually one of my favorite Kirk "concept" (as opposed to "documentary") albums.

g90868o8oly.jpg

Yeah, this is the one with that, uh...unfortunate vocal version of "Giant Steps", but that's the only downer on it for me.

It's also got a version of "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" with lyrics that are relevant to the subject in a way that Joni Mitchell's couldn't even begin to think about.

Plus - Trudy Pitts makes an appearance. 'Nuff said.

Ignore this album at your own risk!!!! :g

Warner Brothers.

I pretty much agree about the last two, but the first one is actually one of my favorite Kirk "concept" (as opposed to "documentary") albums.

g90868o8oly.jpg

Yeah, this is the one with that, uh...unfortunate vocal version of "Giant Steps", but that's the only downer on it for me.

It's also got a version of "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" with lyrics that are relevant to the subject in a way that Joni Mitchell's couldn't even begin to think about.

Plus - Trudy Pitts makes an appearance. 'Nuff said.

Ignore this album at your own risk!!!! :g

This is one of my favorite Kirk albums as well. I can remember him touring with this material not long after his stroke. It was very moving.