Daniel Humair

king ubu

[

Yes, you're correct of course. Where is it from, what corny play is that they're watching? Sure some French classic, Corneille, Racine? (I'm clueless... 6.5 years of French in school, and no effing clue about French literature afterwards... totally useless teachers!)

Don't think it was an actual play. It was one of Alain Robbe-Grillet's screenwriting device. Must say that even if I really like Alain Resnais and Delphine Seyrig, I can't stand Robbe-Grillet's writings or person!

One of the most overrated writer ever!

Loved it when he was finally made a member of the Académie française. It will look good on his epitaph!

Vol. 1 seems to feature Solal with Roger Guérin (trumpet), Daniel Humair (drums), Gilbert Rovère (bass), N.H. Pedersen (bass), Lee Konitz (sax), Charles Bellonzi (drums) and Vol. 2 includes "La Ronde de John Lewis , interprété en duo par Martial Solal et ... John Lewis! Aussi une fascinante interprétation de Fascinating Rythm de Gershwin avec Stephane Grapelli, sans compter d'autres merveilles" (source)

First two LPs are called "Les Introuvables", and feature tracks with Roger Guérin (quartet, 1959), some trios with Guy Pedersen and Daniel Humair, Gilbert Rovere and Charles Bellonzi, Cesarius Alvim and Humair, Rovere and Humair and two pieces with a big band (one from 1962, the other from 1985), plus three solo tracks.

The third LP is subtitled "Standards en solo... ou comment s'en débarrasser", and has six tracks from 1974 to 1982.

The last LP ("Rencontres") has duo tracks with, in turn, Grappelli, Konitz, John Lewis, Didier Lockwood, NHOP and Jean-Louis Chautemps.

First LP is about 44 minutes long; the second is 48, the third is 37 and the fourth is 40. Something must be missing anyway.

The cover of the LP box set is the white one.

luca

Edited by brownie

The 4LP box came out in 1985. It is a must-have set for any Solal fans!

Absolutely. I bought it when it came out, and I've never seen another copy around.

luca

Not that rare. I come upon this set off and on! Saw one several weeks ago at a rather reasonable price!

Not that rare. I come upon this set off and on! Saw one several weeks ago at a rather reasonable price!

Yes, I guess in France it must have had a bigger circulation. Solal is quite popular in Italy (he plays here a lot and has recorded for many Italian labels - he's still doing that, his new CAM CD is great) , but his records have never sold much.

luca

Edited by Eloe Omoe

OK, the radar is ON!

Ubu, what's that 'Je suis à vous' line you carry these days?

It means i'm all yours

It's a line from "L'année dernière à Marienbad", alas just from the play they're watching right at the beginning, and not the line Ms. Seyrig tells to dear ubu... :wub:

just wondered about your old lines yesterday night when i was waiting at someone's room and looked into Bob Dylan's Tarantula for two minutes... was quite similar in sound; but i suppose that was too simple a guess (especially considering how difficult the new one would have been to find out :) )

The Solal 4LP box is up for grabs. Good price!

Martial Solal Live!

I got this Solal box a few years ago, it was one of my first ebay purchases. Regrettably three of the four discs have warpage which significant affects play on the first tracks on each side. Despie this is ,it's a decent set but the sound ( even allowing for warp) is not that fantastic, it's certainly good enough though.

I've found the details:

e73464ao9yd.jpg

Daniel Humair: Surrounded 1964-1987

BLUE FLAME; 40322 (CD3621) (released 1991)

Featuring Eric Dolphy, Kenny Drew, David Friedman, Johnny Griffin, J.-F. Jenny-Clarc, Joachim Kühn, Eddy Louiss, Tete Montoliu, Gerry Mulligan, Michel Portal, Mike Richmond, Martial Solal, Henri Texier, René Thomas, Phil Woods, a.o.

I have this one as well. It's an excellent collection of his music. Fantastic drummer! Too bad about the missing tracks, although I'm glad it didn't leave out the Dolphy.

Edited by six string

• 4 years later...

Guy, the 2CD version just has a flimsy box wrapped around the two CDs, both packed in regular jewel cases with separate booklets and notes. Nothing you miss if you have them as single discs, I think.

Weird story about Humair/Kirk... I think Humair is sort of a diva personality, from what I've heard/read. I like the Gruntz/Humair cuts on the Dog Years Kirk box best (though the whole package is splendid).

There's also an old French CD compiling various tracks by Humair backing several bands/guest artists, among them two tracks with Eric Dolphy. Can't remember the title, a local library has that one and I have but a copy of it...

I believe I have the compilation you speak of and it's title is "Surrounded." It's the only album by him that I own outside of two with Joachim Kuhn and J.F. Jenny-Clark. He is indeed a spectacularly talented drummer. His cymbal work in particular

is very special.

I see now that someone posted the cover of "Surrounded." Never mind. :-)

Edited by six string

• 12 years later...