Is Mosaic in trouble?

Am I right in thinking that Mosaic is half-owned by EMI? If so is it not the health of EMI we need to be watching, as much as the independent standing of their half-owned subsidiary?

That's rather worrying... EMI is in deepshit, no? Robbie Williams didn't turn out to be gold-shitting donkey they were hoping for and besides him they don't have any good horses in their stable...

I dunno. Maybe it isn't an issue. It may be no more than an actuarial matter, that would remain unaffected even if EMI get taken over. I should think the business is worth very little in comparison to EMI as a whole.

Let's hope that is so!

In the US being in rehab seems to be the way to go for sinners of any kind, but then I guess the "world" is less and less equal to the US...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I right in thinking that Mosaic is half-owned by EMI? If so is it not the health of EMI we need to be watching, as much as the independent standing of their half-owned subsidiary?

That's rather worrying... EMI is in deepshit, no? Robbie Williams didn't turn out to be gold-shitting donkey they were hoping for and besides him they don't have any good horses in their stable...

I dunno. Maybe it isn't an issue. It may be no more than an actuarial matter, that would remain unaffected even if EMI get taken over. I should think the business is worth very little in comparison to EMI as a whole.

Actuarial? Not nitpicking, just never seen the word used this way before.

If EMI were to get in trouble, it would likely have little to no effect on Mosaic. I've been involved in several situations where a big corporate parent was in trouble but its smaller subsidiaries were doing fine. Mosaic would be particularly insulated by virtue of the fact that EMI is not a majority stakeholder. The most dramatic thing that could happen would be EMI selling off its interest, but if they really got in trouble I doubt that even this would occur, as they would have more important things to deal with.

Edited by J Larsen

Last couple of deals "went south" but a new one is looming. Antitrust opinions change month to month.

idea flash: maybe you can be brought in as a handsomly paid consultant based on your stellar experience with your own label!

Ouch...

Edited by J.A.W.

Last couple of deals "went south" but a new one is looming. Antitrust opinions change month to month.

idea flash: maybe you can be brought in as a handsomly paid consultant based on your stellar experience with your own label!

:huh: wow....that's not very Christian like!

So perhaps you meant "accounting" rather than actuarial.

BTW, if EMI is indeed in "deep shit," the market hasn't picked up on it. Their stock has been lackluster but not horrible over the past year.

Probably 'cause stockholders are expecting a buyout for a crazy price. :cool:

Nah. Would you really buy a recording company with such a catalog in the era of iPod and illegal downloading? I would buy instead a software company with all his patents. Even Steve Jobs, after the latest losses of iTunes realized that copyright is dead in the internet's world. Sad but true.

I don't really follow media companies, but I thought their merger was struck down on antitrust grounds. Are they still in play?

Media's market is a bit frightening from an investor's POV. In order to achieve synergy and fighting illegal downloading, they tend to merge different sectors, like production, distribution, ecc, but as you said antitrust is always a damocles sword about this strategy.

Lots of RCA possibilities for Mosaic as well. I'd be happy to see some big band boxes such as Barnet, Berigan, Shaw. . . .

Yeah, how about some basic stuff like Complete RCA Artie Shaw, Complete RCA Fats Waller, Complete Bluebird Benny Goodman. Shouldn't these all sell better than the Mildred Bailey 10-CD set?

There were several 2-fers of Complete series by Bluebird artists that could be Mosaic sets.

Edited by Tjazz

What surprise me is that in the today's vinyl rediscovering, they don't go that way for the the classic big box sets. AFIK vinyl sets went out of print quicker then cd sets, a part some exceptions like the electric Miles. Surely Cuscuna has a correct view of the cost/benefit of it and his choices are wise, but...