John Patton's Hammond B3

As a few of you know, I received John Patton's Hammond B3 and Leslie from his widow Thelma last spring and thought some of you might enjoy a few pictures of it.

i'm delighted to hear this obviously important instrument is being kept by someone who respects and understands its relevance.

it's quite unfortunate that the whereabouts of Groove's B3 are unknown, presumed destroyed.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larry Young's brother has his. A friend of mine visited Larry's widow in Newark and talked to her and she said Larry's brother has the organ.

Jim,

How long a go was this? I met Larry's son Larry III (nickname: Tyrone!) in September, and he said he had the organ.

Bertrand.

I thought Joey Defrancesco had Larry Young's organ? The one Larry used on Emergency? I remember Joey saying something about it had the same broken key, ect.... I can't remember where I saw this.

O.K...now where is Don Patterson's organ!!! :g

Edited by Soul Stream

Larry Young's brother has his. A friend of mine visited Larry's widow in Newark and talked to her and she said Larry's brother has the organ.

Jim,

How long a go was this? I met Larry's son Larry III (nickname: Tyrone!) in September, and he said he had the organ.

Bertrand.

It was back in 2000 or 2001 I think. Maybe his brother gave it to his son.

• 1 month later...

It's funny, how the organ is such a part of an organist's self. I'm guessing most organists had only one b-3 that they used. Unlike say maybe a guitarist, or a horn player that might go through a lot of instruments in their lifetime. On a similar note, there's this place on Long Island that has Scott Lafaro's bass. My friend has seen it.

Edited by Jazz Kat

Well, not really. All the organists that recorded for Blue Note starting when RVG moved from Hackensack to Englewood Cliffs played on Rudy's C3. When you think about that, and think about the wide range of timbres and the personal sound they each got out of the instrument, it becomes apparent that in the end the instrument doesn't really matter.

That said, the Hammond B3 (and it's brethren) are remarkably well-made machines and if they are taken care of they will last forever.

Well, not really. All the organists that recorded for Blue Note starting when RVG moved from Hackensack to Englewood Cliffs played on Rudy's C3. When you think about that, and think about the wide range of timbres and the personal sound they each got out of the instrument, it becomes apparent that in the end the instrument doesn't really matter.

That said, the Hammond B3 (and it's brethren) are remarkably well-made machines and if they are taken care of they will last a lot forever.

I was leaning more toward an organist's physical relationship with his/her instrument. But you are right. It's not the instrument. It's the musician.

• 1 month later...