John Patton's Hammond B3

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

obviously a sacred instrument for many jazz fans, to be sure.

my question is do and/or will you play this organ and/or what have you done with it?

My feeling is that Hammond Organs are a lot like cars. They have to be used and maintained on a regular basis to keep them in good running condition. John's B3 had not been played in the four years since he had died. John was cremated and his ashes sat on the bench ironically enough. The organ was in real need of some oiling and minor maintenance and to just be running. It has mechanical and electrical parts that have to come to life in order not to deteriorate or gum up. I may be a nut, but a Hammond Organ to me is a living, breathing thing. Like any living thing they need love and attention and to be active. I play it most every day and it sounds wonderful. Nothing has or will be changed on this organ. It will remain completely original to the way John had it in every way. It has a permanent place and will not be moved or abused in any way.

You'll also notice that the pedal board is not concave but flat, unlike a real pipe organ pedal board.

Jim - to be picky, this is not quite true. On baroque instruments in particular, pedal boards are flat :)

I was speaking of the AGO standard. I should've been more detailed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGO_pedalboard

'I always play some Patton originals everyday just to make sure the organ doesn't forget them.'

That is one of the most wonderful statements I have read in a long, long time.

I'm 100% with Chuck - Thelma entrusted John's organ to exactly the right person.

Bertrand.

You'll also notice that the pedal board is not concave but flat, unlike a real pipe organ pedal board.

Jim - to be picky, this is not quite true. On baroque instruments in particular, pedal boards are flat :)

I was speaking of the AGO standard. I should've been more detailed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGO_pedalboard

Interesting - thanks for the link! I had no idea of such standardisation! I'm all in favour...those flat ones were nice for 'all toes' phrasing of Bach etc., but otherwise a complete bugger to play...

Anyway, trifling digression on my part :). More importantly, SS, this discussion is incredibly heartening, and thank you for sharing the photos!

Thanks everyone for the kind words! It does make me feel very good. I've never felt deserving of John's organ, but I am glad that it didn't get lost into the great unknown as so many things often do after one's death.

To answer Chewy's question as far as John's concept on the organ and music in general.... This may be tough to put into words in many ways, but I will hit on a few things that struck me about John. Firstly, if the goal is for the music to be an extension of your mind, body and spirit then John achieved that 100%. His personality was exactly like his music would lead you to believe it would be. John had a way of talking that was very hip, and sounded alot like his phrasing on the organ. He WAS his music, his music WAS him! Funny, John was a very sweet cat with a huge heart and a great sense of humor and humanity but could intimidate with just his presence....reminded me a lot of Miles Davis in some ways and one in particular...he was SERIOUS about music. There was no goofing off when it came to music whether it was on the bandstand or practicing the simplest phrase. He also had a favorite phrase he would shout when he wanted someone to dig deeper musically and that was "Open it up!" John was also a very well educated cat. He spoke and wrote with great articulation and had beautiful handwriting. His brothers include Lawyers and Judges. All that came through in his music in a way. The basics had to be covered on the organ for John. He was from the John Coltrane school of thought. He loved Trane. Jimmy Garrison was a friend, so John really wanted that organ bass to be musical and a foundation to build on. I think Grant Green and John Coltrane were John's two biggest musical influences.

No, the B3 has a 24 note pedalboard. The standard on pipe organs is 32 note, but Hammond didn't think that most people played the pedals on either extreme, so he cut those out to save money. You'll also notice that the pedal board is not concave but flat, unlike a real pipe organ pedal board. Again, this was to save money.

However, Hammond did produce a couple of different models with a full, concave, 32 note pedal board. The D series and the RT series spring to mind.

Thanks, Jim. This makes it even more impressive that you Hammond players are able to put out a walking bass line that an upright bassist would be proud of.

I'm sure that I saw a Hammond with bass pedals pretty much all the way across from left to right. Must have been one of those 32 note jobs. When you see a pic of the famous players, you usually can't see the pedalboard.

Thanks for that Soulstream - very interesting.

It seems to me that it was Grant's use of space and time that John picked up. Did he mention any specific things he'd got from GG?

MG

The way John handled ii V progressions is very heavily influenced by Grant. Especially in the early to mid sixties. The pet licks they had for outlining those chords were very similar. You have to remember that John started playing the organ and then was out gigging with Grant and Lou Donaldson very quickly. It was a lot of on the job training. Lou Donaldson always told John to listen to Charlie Parker (according to John). And I think John just played so much with Grant early on that it heavily influenced his style more than any other musician. Patton said Grant sometimes would just play and play and play and hardly let Patton get a solo in on live gigs. So John heard the way Grant got through changes hearing him so much live and it shaped his style. Plus, John said he and Grant and Ben Dixon got together a lot at his apartment and also talked music on the phone quite a bit in those days. The use of space....yeah, I think the "no b.s. factor" that Grant Green used definately affected John. As well as people like Miles Davis, who I think John listened to a lot also.

I'm sure that I saw a Hammond with bass pedals pretty much all the way across from left to right.

The B3's pedals do span the entire length of the organ. The organs that have an AGO 32 note pedalboard are even wider than a B3 (and of course weigh more, too).

Yeah, I'd love to have an RT-3! :wub:

On the topic of John's influence, Grachan Moncur told me a couple of years ago that when he played with John in the early 80s, he learned a lot from him harmonically. By the way he said it, you could tell he had a deep respect for him and their collaboration.

Bertrand.

• 4 weeks later...